Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Of course we're looking at Stepan and his 2M salary and 6.5M cap hit :laugh:

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea though. If he bounces back he could fetch something at the deadline. Just wouldn't pay much for him now.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea though. If he bounces back he could fetch something at the deadline. Just wouldn't pay much for him now.

Knowing this organization, we're probably going to be the one giving up the asset, even though we would be doing them a favor for helping them out of their cap issues.

Reactions: Upgrayedd and DJB

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I'm not sure it makes sense for Arizona since that seems to be like the type of contract they want too.

Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense for Arizona to move him. Sure they need to trim cap, but by most reports they also want to cut salary. They've already paid Stepan 60% of his salary for the upcoming season - very little incentive to move him now. He'd probably be fairly valuable at the deadline with a little retention.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense for Arizona to move him. Sure they need to trim cap, but by most reports they also want to cut salary. They've already paid Stepan 60% of his salary for the upcoming season - very little incentive to move him now. He'd probably be fairly valuable at the deadline with a little retention.
Well they are apparently moving OEL so that fixes the cap issues.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Knowing this organization, we're probably going to be the one giving up the asset, even though we would be doing them a favor for helping them out of their cap issues.

Ya, and that's a pretty big favor as well. I'm not seeing how Ottawa couldn't squeeze another good asset out of this situation. And, that wouldn't be just getting one of their goalies either. It would be in addition to one of their goalies assuming one of their goalies were involved. Its a dereliction of duty if they weren't able to achieve this imho.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I'm not sure it makes sense for Arizona since that seems to be like the type of contract they want too.
Yes, that perhaps worth considering.

DS has already been paid the $3 m signing bonus, and hence is only owed $2 m in real dollars at this point. Yet, his AAV of $6.5 will count against their cap.

It's possible they want to reduce their payouts by $2 m I suppose, and they still need to sign another 5 or 6 players, so creating some additional cap space makes sense from that perspective as well. But, to lose an additional asset(s) (sweetner) might not be worth a $2 m saving .......

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Something always felt off about the whole Boro situation over the past few months...

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

If Stepan can play like a $3M player and we're only paying him $2M, that's a pretty savvy move. Who cares about his cap hit?

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
at what point do you stop trying to be bad? they tore it down, there's nothing left to tear down. Stepan is like an american anisimov. The only way you take stepan's contract is by getting an A+ asset attached to it

Reactions: jhutter

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Is there any reason for a young player with potential to re-sign here long-term?

I can't see the way this team operates be appealing to someone like Tkachuk, knowing how involved his dad is in his career and the relationship between his agent and Dorion/Melnyk.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
The Yotes just hired Joey Daccords dad as their AGM. Wonder if he ends up being included in any trade we make with Arizona. People have been talking about them moving Stepan but I don't think they're going to be trading assets for cap space. Their new GM has already made it clear they're going to be rebuilding so I think we'll see them clean house like Ottawa did. If we do trade with them I think they'd be more likely to go after some of our second round picks + prospects, with us taking Stepan as a cap dump (but not the central part of the trade). I know it's unlikely because they're committing to the rebuild but if we could get Soderstrom from them I'd be happy.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The Yotes just hired Joey Daccords dad as their AGM. Wonder if he ends up being included in any trade we make with Arizona. People have been talking about them moving Stepan but I don't think they're going to be trading assets for cap space. Their new GM has already made it clear they're going to be rebuilding so I think we'll see them clean house like Ottawa did. If we do trade with them I think they'd be more likely to go after some of our second round picks + prospects, with us taking Stepan as a cap dump (but not the central part of the trade). I know it's unlikely because they're committing to the rebuild but if we could get Soderstrom from them I'd be happy.
Dorion seems to think more highly of Daccord than any other goalie we have (as he should). I doubt they're going to deal Soderstrom.

Reactions: JaredCowen4Norris

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
Dorion seems to think more highly of Daccord than any other goalie we have (as he should). I doubt they're going to deal Soderstrom.

I'm highest on Daccord out of all our goalie prospect tbh. His puck handling is such a unique asset that you don't normally see and I think it could be used strategically by the right coach. That being said we have too many goalies and with rumours about us looking to acquire a goalie you have to think we'll be moving one of Sogaard, Gustavsson, or Daccord. Especially if the alternative is to potentially lose one of them to the expansion draft.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
at what point do you stop trying to be bad? they tore it down, there's nothing left to tear down. Stepan is like an american anisimov. The only way you take stepan's contract is by getting an A+ asset attached to it

We're going to be asking this question for years.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008

I guess we can start to think about not being bad when we actually have a core group in place that shows some promise at the NHL level. Right now we don't have that.

All we have is Thomas Chabot, Brady Tkachuk [for now...] and a bunch of hopes and dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad