Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Tierney is mediocre-to-poor. Zucker and Coleman are useful-to-good.

Tierney is younger than Coleman and has outproduced him the two previous years while playing a more valuable position. Like I said I dont expect the same return but if they can get half of what Coleman returned for him ill be happy.

Reactions: NB613

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Tierney is younger than Coleman and has outproduced him the two previous years while playing a more valuable position. Like I said I dont expect the same return but if they can get half of what Coleman returned for him ill be happy.

Goals and hits > whatever Tierney brings to the table (even though I don't entirely agree with that statement, it's pretty clear GM's do).

I think you're also overlooking the fact Coleman is cost controlled at $1.8 million next season while Tierney probably gets a raise into the $3.5-$4.5 million range. I know you're saying you'd take half of the Coleman return for Tierney, but I'm not convinced at late 1st (or equivalent prospect) will end up being on the table for the guy, regardless of the perceived sellers market right now.

Reactions: BatherSeason

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Assuming anyone is willing to take on the bulk of Z-feet's contract

I think he is worth keeping but the deal has to be right. I expect him to want more term then Ottawa would like.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Goals and hits > whatever Tierney brings to the table (even though I don't entirely agree with that statement, it's pretty clear GM's do).

I think you're also overlooking the fact Coleman is cost controlled at $1.8 million next season while Tierney probably gets a raise into the $3.5-$4.5 million range. I know you're saying you'd take half of the Coleman return for Tierney, but I'm not convinced at late 1st (or equivalent prospect) will end up being on the table for the guy, regardless of the perceived sellers market right now.

I took all of those variables into account hence the half what Coleman returned. Id also take a 2nd and a 3rd for him too, his value will be lower next year and if he isnt in the long term plans the time to sell is clearly now.

Reactions: innocent bystander

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The problem with that line of thinking is that the team acquired Zaitsev for a completely different role than Demelo. Zaitsev plays a similar role to what Ceci was doing. Very very tough minutes. Used as a #2.

Demelo hasn't been sheltered, but he hasn't been tested like Zaitsev.

Whether or not Zaitsev has played well isn't the point. The point is that I'm guessing the team sees it as apples and oranges. Demelo is being used as a #4 who never in his career has played anywhere close to the level of minutes (both in quantity, competition, deployment) as Zaitsev who is being used as a #2.

Trading for Zaitsev didn't make much sense, but signing Demelo to top 4 money (3-4 years at around 4M) makes just as little sense. He's not Chabot's Methot. He'll go somewhere else and be a bottom pairing guy. This is another case of us taking a player and putting them in a position where they have a fair argument to get paid well above their usefulness because they get to play a greater role on our team.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I can see this is going painful to follow this year:

Posters are already complaining about Dorion because of 3 trades over the weekend.
The fact that Garrioch has reported that they team still has no idea what they are going to do has probably more to do with the anger and frustration.

Reactions: Emerica

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The problem with that line of thinking is that the team acquired Zaitsev for a completely different role than Demelo. Zaitsev plays a similar role to what Ceci was doing. Very very tough minutes. Used as a #2.

Whether or not Zaitsev has played well isn't the point. The point is that I'm guessing the team sees it as apples and oranges. Demelo is being used as a #4 who never in his career has played anywhere close to the level of minutes (both in quantity, competition, deployment) as Zaitsev who is being used as a #2.

Trading for Zaitsev didn't make much sense, but signing Demelo to top 4 money (3-4 years at around 4M) makes just as little sense. He's not Chabot's Methot. He'll go somewhere else and be a bottom pairing guy. This is another case of us taking a player and putting them in a position where they have a fair argument to get paid well above their usefulness because they get to play a greater role on our team.
That's a pretty fair take except for playing Zaitsev with Chabot for a good half of the year.
I still would have preferred to hang on to Ceci for another year .
Demelo has earned a new deal.. I can't see the Sens wanting to give him term... it would be more or less a stop gap to graduate other players... Demelo likely wants more than that.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I took all of those variables into account hence the half what Coleman returned. Id also take a 2nd and a 3rd for him too, his value will be lower next year and if he isnt in the long term plans the time to sell is clearly now.

We're on the same page in that regard. I'd definitely move him for a 2nd and a 3rd as well, and that's the type of value that's (probably) more in line with what we could expect for him. My only point was that he doesn't seem like someone a team would go out of their way to overpay for (the way someone would overpay for Coleman or even a Pageau type).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Posters are already complaining about Dorion because of 3 trades over the weekend.
Just kidding around.. don't take it so seriously. We have to cater to the masses and not just one point of view .. although this spirit is not always evident

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We are stuck with Zaitsev.

It isn't that much of a problem though, he isn't horrible. Just a bit overpaid.

At the end of the day no one wants to willingly come to Ottawa (and we dump UFAs) so we had to find a way to "replace" Ceci. Not a great solution but just letting Ceci walk and pray that a prospect can make the jump seems far worse.

Reactions: GCK and bert

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We're on the same page in that regard. I'd definitely move him for a 2nd and a 3rd as well, and that's the type of value that's (probably) more in line with what we could expect for him. My only point was that he doesn't seem like someone a team would go out of their way to overpay for (the way someone would overpay for Coleman or even a Pageau type).

Sell High on anyone they have other than the kids imo.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We are stuck with Zaitsev.

It isn't that much of a problem though, he isn't horrible. Just a bit overpaid.

At the end of the day no one wants to willingly come to Ottawa (and we dump UFAs) so we had to find a way to "replace" Ceci. Not a great solution but just letting Ceci walk and pray that a prospect can make the jump seems far worse.
That's not the only alternative. That's a worst case scenario.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

It has more to do with the fact they have 12 players on expiring deals and not a single trade has been made and there is less than a week left to do something about it. Its impossible to scout that many teams prospects and players. Given how poor the asset management has been I think its a normal reaction for people to question what is going on.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
It has more to do with the fact they have 12 players on expiring deals and not a single trade has been made and there is less than a week left to do something about it. Its impossible to scout that many teams prospects and players. Given how poor the asset management has been I think its a normal reaction for people to question what is going on.
Not only that but it sounds like they haven't even started contract talks with most of the big ones. Just a mess all around.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

A rumor is a rumor. This guy has been right before. Seems like maybe there is some interest in Ennis. Pick up the damn phone Pierre.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

K I know that the Vollman charts only give a basic approximation, but according to that metric their usage is pretty similar.

Not trying to argue anything here, just thought I'd point that out. I'm with you, it would not be wise to pay DeMelo "top four" type money.

But at the same time, it would hurt bad to lose him. I wonder if he'd take a short term deal, to continue to hold us over through the rebuild but not put ourselves in a hole going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad