Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Am I getting this right? The Leafs did not add any quality defenseman to shore up their blue line?

Seems to me they may be the biggest losers at the deadline. Good stuff.

I think their mentality probably was that there was no need to burn major assets to add to a team with such major issues. When they traded for Campbell, he wasn't a rental.

They need to wait until the off season and really re-assess what is wrong with their current build. The only thing that would have made sense would be to flip Barrie in a hockey trade because he's gone anyways. They were rumored to be exploring that, but I guess it never happened.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think their mentality probably was that there was no need to burn major assets to add to a team with such major issues. When they traded for Campbell, he wasn't a rental.

They need to wait until the off season and really re-assess what is wrong with their current build. The only thing that would have made sense would be to flip Barrie in a hockey trade because he's gone anyways. They were rumored to be exploring that, but I guess it never happened.

This would indicate to their fans they don't feel they have a good shot at the cup this year. Ouch.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Dorion nailed it today. Nailed it. He didn't fall into the trap of thinking next year is a contending year. We need elite talent before we can contend. The best way to get that is to pick high in this draft. He has paved the way for that to happen with these moves. Sell decent players like Namestikov and Ennis for anything. Sell Pageau for great draft capital. He did as much as he reasonably could to ensure a bottom 2 finish. Now we just need a bit of luck and then we're cooking.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This would indicate to their fans they don't feel they have a good shot at the cup this year. Ouch.

I caught some of Dubas' post trade deadline presser. It was a bit of an interesting watch. I'd recommend seeking it out if you're interested in seeing where they stand.

Somethings can be spun, but I think everybody including their fans understand the problems with the team right now. I just don't think it makes sense for them to give up major assets to buy into a team when the players themselves have not bought in. It's too risky.

Honestly, I think they should have sold off Barrie for futures but I completely understand why they could not do that while sitting in a playoff position. I wouldn't expect them to, but to me it would be the right move. Get some picks that might assist the team in solving the problems with the makeup of their roster in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad