Rumor: Trade rumours/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
I don't see Duchene as "stringing" management along. PD knows he needs time to take offers and is juggling many balls until the drop dead date this week. From Duchene's perspective he wants to know the direction the Sens are heading and whether or not he wants to be part of yet another rebuild. Just doing due diligence before making any commitment. Nothing wrong with that if you are looking at a possible 8 year time period
He either signs or you prepare to trade him. This is the information PD needs in order to move forward. There is no in-between. The " **** or get off the pot" date is imminent!

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Sens are actually paying scouts to attend games and scout players? huh go figure and people said Melnyk was cheap.

Don't be fooled. It's actually internship day at the local high school.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
See the news about teams not having much interest in CEci because they see him at a 4-5 d man lmfao. Man. Dorion. Duchene. Hall. Now teams know what this guy is.

R2010

May 23, 2011
IF we trade Duchene and Stone and therefore need to get some cap space taken up the Jeff Carter mention from Yost's recent piece may be appealing. The guy has no NMC and has a backdiving contract that has a cap hit of nearly twice what he is being paid.

Likewise, LAK may be willing to part with something of value to get the cap space - especially with their current situation. Perhaps something like:

J. Carter (5.3 m x 4) + TML (1st - 2019)

for

M. Condon (2.4 m x 2) or Z. Smith (3.3 x 3) + PITT (3rd - 2019)

Could be mutually beneficial for both teams.

Studzle

Dec 1, 2013
Toronto
See the news about teams not having much interest in CEci because they see him at a 4-5 d man lmfao. Man. Dorion. Duchene. Hall. Now teams know what this guy is.
You just have to wonder what Dorion was waiting for.

We spun the wheel of fortunate and hit bankruptcy. Now we’re f***ed.

Studzle

Dec 1, 2013
Toronto
IF we trade Duchene and Stone and therefore need to get some cap space taken up the Jeff Carter mention from Yost's recent piece may be appealing. The guy has no NMC and has a backdiving contract that has a cap hit of nearly twice what he is being paid.

Likewise, LAK may be willing to part with something of value to get the cap space - especially with their current situation. Perhaps something like:

J. Carter (5.3 m x 4) + TML (1st - 2019)

for

M. Condon (2.4 m x 2) or Z. Smith (3.3 x 3) + PITT (3rd - 2019)

Could be mutually beneficial for both teams.
This is pretty bad for LA. They are doing a mini retool of their own and probably don’t want to move that pick.

No one wants Smith.

Reactions: derriko

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
This is pretty bad for LA. They are doing a mini retool of their own and probably don’t want to move that pick.

No one wants Smith.
Maybe Ceci instead of Smith for the long awaited Ceci-Homophobic Slurouf reunion?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I have thought Jeff Carter could be an A+ acquisition for the Sens for the last two seasons, but once all the noise about LAK rebuilding started a few months ago, one thing that was pointed out was that the Kings would be worried about cap recapture if they trade these players and they retire.

Carter's ability to walk away from his contract acts as a no trade clause. He'll have already made 51M of the 58M owed on his contract by next season. He's only making an average of 2.33M per season for the next three seasons he is under contract for. Considering how much he's made in his career, and how much taxes, fees, etc bite into that 2.33M, it would be very easy for a player in Carter's shoes to justify retiring rather than playing on a team they aren't happy with.

In short, the Kings cannot trade Carter anywhere he doesn't want to be, or else he is at risk to retire and stick them with loads of cap recapture. Carter has no reason to want to come here, thus he won't be traded here.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Callahan would be a guy to look at if he would agree to come here. Only a year left after this one and we could probably get something of value in compensation.

Reactions: derriko

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I wonder if Colorado would have taken Ceci over instead of our first round pick. They prob would have at thattpoint. I wouldnt be surprised if Dorion waffled at that.

Ceci for Hall
Ceci for Drouin
Ceci package for Duchene

Way to miss the boat Dorion!

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Imagine choosing to retire and walking away from 2.33 million a year because you don’t want to play hockey anymore. Man, this worlds a crazy place.

Everything is relative, and there is such a thing as diminishing returns.

Assuming a hockey player takes home around 35-40 percent of their actual cap hit in real dollars, Carter has made 25-30 million dollars in his career already. I don't know if he has kids, or what his personal life consists of, but if I had 25-30 million dollars, I wouldn't see the value in wasting 3 years of my 30's to add 35-40 percent of 7 million, so about another 2.8 million dollars, or high six figures worth of take home salary each year after taxes/fees/escrow. What are you even going to do with it at that point?

Reactions: Clayonator

Billy Bridges

Sep 20, 2011
I'm glad you enjoyed my question.

I need that Fish Stick news!!!

Some of us may recall a time in our life when we desired some ol fashioned pub style fish and chips. Clever marketing and packaging would fool us into purchasing a colourful box of frozen, battered fish from the local grocer. Whether it was cod, haddock or pollock, we all would preheat the oven to 425, lay our bounty out on a baking sheet, turn the oven light on, and watch the golden batter sizzle and brown until the time was right.

Unfortunately, after just one bite, we were stuck with the realization that we had a plateful of overpriced, bland, and soggy pieces of leftover processed fish.

My friends, the UFAs are being traded for fish sticks.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Jeff Carter isnt waiving a damn thing to come here. He forced his way out of Columbus did he not?

No offense to Ottawanians (dont know rhe term) but its at best a 2nd class city like Columbus, but with a terrible owner and mumbling idiot GM.

Multimillionaire athlete in LA > Philly >>> Ottawa / Columbus. I feel relatively comfortable in my belief that Carter is a bright lights / nightlife type of guy as we know from his previous situations.

As far as the Nashville mold, thats what Ottawa needs to focus in on. Build from the net out. Gustavsson and Daccord is a good start (the Hog seems to be on a surge too) but the Sens need even more goalie prospects on top of that for more chances at a home run.

Then draft defensive prospects. Worst case scenario, you make a Seth Jones esque trade for top 6 centers.

I admit I was okay with Tkachuk last year, but thinking back, maybe Dobson or Bouchard was the right choice via either tradeback, or even just reaching.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I have thought Jeff Carter could be an A+ acquisition for the Sens for the last two seasons, but once all the noise about LAK rebuilding started a few months ago, one thing that was pointed out was that the Kings would be worried about cap recapture if they trade these players and they retire.

Carter's ability to walk away from his contract acts as a no trade clause. He'll have already made 51M of the 58M owed on his contract by next season. He's only making an average of 2.33M per season for the next three seasons he is under contract for. Considering how much he's made in his career, and how much taxes, fees, etc bite into that 2.33M, it would be very easy for a player in Carter's shoes to justify retiring rather than playing on a team they aren't happy with.

In short, the Kings cannot trade Carter anywhere he doesn't want to be, or else he is at risk to retire and stick them with loads of cap recapture. Carter has no reason to want to come here, thus he won't be traded here.

I just came to the same realization and then read your post.

The problem with Yosts theory is exactly what you described. If these backdiving players aren't going to be earning a lot in real salary. Are they really moving their families to Ottawa just to play on a last place team?

Doesn't rule out those that are on long-term IR that can count against the cap though. So I still see a move for a Zetterberg/Franzen type of player.

Uhg. Fun times.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Jeff Carter isnt waiving a damn thing to come here. He forced his way out of Columbus did he not?

No offense to Ottawanians (dont know rhe term) but its at best a 2nd class city like Columbus, but with a terrible owner and mumbling idiot GM.

Multimillionaire athlete in LA > Philly >>> Ottawa / Columbus. I feel relatively comfortable in my belief that Carter is a bright lights / nightlife type of guy as we know from his previous situations.

As far as the Nashville mold, thats what Ottawa needs to focus in on. Build from the net out. Gustavsson and Daccord is a good start (the Hog seems to be on a surge too) but the Sens need even more goalie prospects on top of that for more chances at a home run.

Then draft defensive prospects. Worst case scenario, you make a Seth Jones esque trade for top 6 centers.

I admit I was okay with Tkachuk last year, but thinking back, maybe Dobson or Bouchard was the right choice via either tradeback, or even just reaching.
Carter can’t stop a trade, he has no clauses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad