Rumor: Trade rumours/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Apparently Valimaki was deal breaker with CGY according to TSN
This kind of thing keeps happening! We're talking about an elite player, probably one of the top three in the league at his position, and teams are reluctant to give up mid-to-top tier guys? Prospects come and go. Pennants fly forever. These GMs are being risk-averse to the point of lunacy.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If he was prepared to give Duchene 8 per and Dzingel 4 per, there's no excuse to not use that money to make up for the bonus structure.

Either find away or continue owning an empty arena.
He has the money to pay these guys without bonus up front cash is what I meant....He doesnt have any other cash flow other than the team

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'm very worried.

Probably asking for too much.

We'll hold on to him to save face and he'll walk. I can feel it.

Dorion will get ripped for trading him for an underwhelming return or ripped for not trading him at all. Can't win.

NHL gms are pathetic

Truly.

Is he repeating something that was said on TradeCentre, or has someone given him an inside scoop on the Stone extension negotiations? Or is he just speculating?

If what he's implying is true, Melnyk has no business owning a team.

This is amazing news in the fact that Stone could stay under a possible scenario, but hilarious that melnyk isn't the one buckling down.

I hope everyone realizes Dorion is absolutely not at fault for anything here. He is holding out for a good deal and COULD sign him but it's Melnyk getting in the way.

Bob says Sens wanted Valimaki . Flames said no and it was a deal breaker

Good; that's how it should be.

Reactions: topshelf15

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If he was prepared to give Duchene 8 per and Dzingel 4 per, there's no excuse to not use that money to make up for the bonus structure.

Either find away or continue owning an empty arena.

That's not how it works with signing bonuses. Sounds like when Duchene made his intentions clear they went back to Stone with a higher AAV but that doesn't mean he is in position to pay millions of dollars to a player on one day. I'm not defending Melnyk but the money from other players has nothing to do with adding signing bonuses.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Is he repeating something that was said on TradeCentre, or has someone given him an inside scoop on the Stone extension negotiations? Or is he just speculating?

If what he's implying is true, Melnyk has no business owning a team.

I've made the point that Bonus structures are easy to amortize in the past, but that's not the hang up imo. The reality is if the NHL locks out the players, teams are on the hook for those bonuses with no revenues to repay them. If the team is already in a tough spot to service it's existing debt and pay obligations, an extra 4 mil due on Jul 1st could push them over the edge.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
So do the Sens even have any realistic intention of trading Stone, or are they willing to take a huge risk (for the sake of the jaded fan base's confidence) and go all-in to sign him before July? I have to think that if the Jets blinked at the asking cost, everybody else will and the Sens will have to settle for less by 3:00 pm today or cross their fingers that they can sign Stone long term.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Dorion will get ripped for trading him for an underwhelming return or ripped for not trading him at all. Can't win.
Yup. Can't give the player what he wants because the owner is miserly, can't get a good return on him, can't afford to get no return on him. Not that I have the most confidence in Dorion, but I question how effective he could be given the resources to do his job.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At this point .. Dorion's ask has to drop.

Maybe we get a 1st and a B or greater prospect and a conditional first... possibly a dump

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
I've made the point that Bonus structures are easy to amortize in the past, but that's not the hang up imo. The reality is if the NHL locks out the players, teams are on the hook for those bonuses with no revenues to repay them. If the team is already in a tough spot to service it's existing debt and pay obligations, an extra 4 mil due on Jul 1st could push them over the edge.
Basically then Euge really isn't in a financial position to own an NHL franchise. Hopefully this is all publicized and the embarrassment expediates a sale of the team.... I know wishful thinking.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Looking at some of the returns out there... Dorion did better than many other GMs getting value for his players.

Hayes = 1st 2019 + Lemieux + conditional 4th
vs
Duchene = 1st 2019 + Abramov + Davidsson + conditional 1st 2020

Dzingel = 2nd 2020 + 2nd 2021 + Duclair
vs
Nyquist = 2nd 2019 + conditional 3rd 2020

Donato for Coyle is the biggest steal so far though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad