Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: The "We Still Need a Dman" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think Buff will be the one to be traded. I don't think the Jets can afford to let Buff walk without getting anything in return. I also think any team willing to pay the price for him (he won't be cheap in season) will re-sign him. So I doubt he makes it to free agency.

It's a real interesting situation they are in. I really think they have to try sign him. Regardless of what they have he still leads that team in ESTOI/GP and Total TOI/GP.

Really think they need to try keep him and move Enstrom. They move Buff and I really think it sets that team back.

But we've seen this before. UFA who can really cash in and is an American playing in Canada. The Jets might not have a choice.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
It's hard to picture a team in the NHL that has a glut of good defensemen for sale. You don't usually see them traded during the season, especially this early.

The only teams that I can think of that have a 'surplus' of top 2 defensemen are Nashville and St. Louis.

Nashville have Josi, Webber and Jones (Ellis & Ekholm are also there but more mid pairing).

St. Louis has Shattenkirk, Bow and Pietrangelo. Also have Parayko challenging.

If we could offer one of these teams something they need more important that\n the D (cap, different position, etc.), we may be able to convince them to move one.

Last edited:

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
this, after watching the farm team for the jets here in St.john's. Trouba is the only real young guy the jets have (outside of Morrisey). With Stuart, Pardy, Enstrom and Clitsome (if he plays this year) being all at the age of 30. Buff being shipped out or leaving in F/A. No shot that they trade Trouba.

What about Klien from NYC? Gunnarson from STL?

Not what we need.

Oil need top 2 D.

Already have 5-7 mid to bottom pairing.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Keep in mind that I do not typically read or respond to this thread. But I have an honest question or 3.

Why is there talk about Chara at all? It would be great to get this guy, but does anybody seriously think that the B's are ever going to consider Chiarelli's Oilers as a trading partner?

May as well be talking about flying to the moon by flapping your arms real fast or something. Wouldn't it be better to talk about someone we can actually acquire?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The only teams that I can think of that have a 'surplus' of top 2 defensemen are Nashville and St. Louis.

Nashville have Josi, Webber and Jones (Ellis & Ekholm are also there but more mid pairing).

If we could offer one of these teams something they need more important that the D(cap, different position, etc.), we may be able to convince them to move one.

The real issue right now is all those teams are winning. I don't see them making drastic changes until that changes. All 3 including WPG were teams that were candidates for a big shake up if things didn't go well, but they went and f***ed that up by playing well so far.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

If we could offer one of these teams something they need more important that the D(cap, different position, etc.), we may be able to convince them to move one.

I think Buff is a legitimate target as well, but I agree with this. Nashville especially makes sense to be in talks with. I am as confident as I can be that RNH for Jones next year or so is a real possibility. Hard to predict anything in the NHL, but it just makes so much sense for both teams. Even the fans of both teams have mentioned it making sense.

Keep in mind that I do not typically read or respond to this thread. But I have an honest question or 3.

Why is there talk about Chara at all? It would be great to get this guy, but does anybody seriously think that the B's are ever going to consider Chiarelli's Oilers as a trading partner?

May as well be talking about flying to the moon by flapping your arms real fast or something. Wouldn't it be better to talk about someone we can actually acquire?

Mostly lack of other stuff to talk about, and the B's look to be in a rebuilding mode so the Chia feud aside, it does make sense that they'd try to move Chara.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Really depends at some point you have to put personal feelings aside. Depending on what Boston has to do with salary and cap space, Neely might be forced to just step back and let his GM do his job.

The other thing I'd add is while they wouldn't trade Hamilton here that doesn't mean they wouldn't trade others. Hamilton was more a franchise piece with a long future. Will they really see Chara as the same?

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
It's a real interesting situation they are in. I really think they have to try sign him. Regardless of what they have he still leads that team in ESTOI/GP and Total TOI/GP.

Really think they need to try keep him and move Enstrom. They move Buff and I really think it sets that team back.

But we've seen this before. UFA who can really cash in and is an American playing in Canada. The Jets might not have a choice.

I don't think they can afford to sign him. I forgot who said it, but they said Ladd and Buff wanted contracts around 6-7M/yr for 5 or 6 years. Lets say $6.5M/yr for both. An 13M increase in your cap is a lot. Especially when you have to pay Schiefele (sp?), Lowry, Trouba and Hutchinson in the same summer. Assuming Trouba signs for like $2.5M/yr, they would've committed $12.5M/yr to their RHD alone. That's far too much, especially when Myers and Trouba should have their roles increasing in the near future.

I think they see how it goes until mid/late-December and make Buff available. He'd return alot and if they can pluck a top-20 1st round pick to add to their already deep prospect pool, I think they can see it as a win. Especially if they can add another blue chip D-man prospect with the pick.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I think Buff is a legitimate target as well, but I agree with this. Nashville especially makes sense to be in talks with. I am as confident as I can be that RNH for Jones next year or so is a real possibility. Hard to predict anything in the NHL, but it just makes so much sense for both teams. Even the fans of both teams have mentioned it making sense.

Mostly lack of other stuff to talk about, and the B's look to be in a rebuilding mode so the Chia feud aside, it does make sense that they'd try to move Chara.

I agree that it makes sense to move Chara for them. It just doesn't make sense to consider the OIl as a trade partner. Our past history before Chia was good with the Bruins, but I really don't think so now. I have faith that Chia will do the right thing with somebody. It's just a matter of when I guess. Are there any sources out there that know who the Managers talk too? Or is it all conjecture until it's about to happen?

Obviously I do not follow the trade stuff closely at all, so please excuse my ignorance guys.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think they can afford to sign him. I forgot who said it, but they said Ladd and Buff wanted contracts around 6-7M/yr for 5 or 6 years. Lets say $6.5M/yr for both. An 13M increase in your cap is a lot. Especially when you have to pay Schiefele (sp?), Lowry, Trouba and Hutchinson in the same summer. Assuming Trouba signs for like $2.5M/yr, they would've committed $12.5M/yr to their RHD alone. That's far too much, especially when Myers and Trouba should have their roles increasing in the near future.

I think they see how it goes until mid/late-December and make Buff available. He'd return alot and if they can pluck a top-20 1st round pick to add to their already deep prospect pool, I think they can see it as a win. Especially if they can add another blue chip D-man prospect with the pick.

I really can't see why they can't have all those guys unless they have a small internal budget. Especially if you can move Enstrom. Stafford should be another causality.

The window to win in the NHL is rather small, moving Buff is just going to make that window even smaller.

They just don't strike me as a team that needs more picks and prospects.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree that it makes sense to move Chara for them. It just doesn't make sense to consider the OIl as a trade partner. Our past history before Chia was good with the Bruins, but I really don't think so now. I have faith that Chia will do the right thing with somebody. It's just a matter of when I guess. Are there any sources out there that know who the Managers talk too? Or is it all conjecture until it's about to happen?

Obviously I do not follow the trade stuff closely at all, so please excuse my ignorance guys.

I don't think they wouldn't trade with us as much as they wanted more from us. They took lessor pics than what we afforded apparently, but this isn't the first time a gm wanted more from one gm than another. The other thing is not every team even really knew Hamilton was really available. Some rookie mistakes by Boston, ones that they probably should've learned from.

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger · 1m1 minute ago
Curtis Glencross says he's retiring. "We have weighed our options and with the young family I'm enjoying a lot of firsts with them."

you guys still want to sign him lol

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think they wouldn't trade with us as much as they wanted more from us. They took lessor pics than what we afforded apparently, but this isn't the first time a gm wanted more from one gm than another. The other thing is not every team even really knew Hamilton was really available. Some rookie mistakes by Boston, ones that they probably should've learned from.

That's fair. I guess I should have said trade fair with us. From what I understand, Calgary got Hamilton for a whole lot less than we offered. On the outset it doesn't make sense, but I guess I have to consider future trades or deals between Calgary and Boston may have been part of their discussion.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I'd do Chara for Fayne straight across, take it or leave it, no 1st. We are doing them a large favor by taking the contract off their hands.

Speaking of a "Dan Boyle type", isn't Dan Boyle himself available? lol.
Boston will want more as we saw with the Hamilton trade and how Calgary got him for free. Boston and Edmonton won't be trading with each other for a very long time.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com

Agreed.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I don't mean to harp on buff and I may need to mul it over a bit.

He is a great dman but I see him signing in minnesota. Also, why is Winnipeg trading him anyway if they are pushing for the playoffs?

People say he's avail just not sure if that's tru deau.

;)

If he signs in Minny, does that mean they trade one of Suter, Brodin, Dumba, Scandella or Spurgeon? Because I'd happily take any one of those guys.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The cap hit stays no matter how much the player gets paid.

Not in Chara's case... His cap hit actually drops to 4M after 2 yrs.. Regardless of that his contract would be off the books at the same time as McDavid's ELC so wont hinder McExtension

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think we could potentially see Shattenkirk shake loose. Parayko looks like an absolute stud (extremely jealous, exactly the type of Dman that we need and seems like a great kid too) so if he continues to progress and with Shattenkirk having only 1 year left on his contract, I could see a deal to be made between the two teams in the offseason with the Oilers having the big need and the Blues having a surplus of RHD and looking to clear cap space.

Not sure what the price would be but I'd guess that it would start with the 2016 1st and a couple of good prospects (similar to the Yandle deal) although that was 1+ years of Yandle.

Getzlafoutloud

Sep 15, 2015
Don't think there are any top pairing d men available without selling the farm. best option might be out of the ducks who have a glut of young d men and are in need of top 6 scoring. not sold on fowler but shea theodore (right shot) is a guy who's not far off being nhl ready.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Don't think there are any top pairing d men available without selling the farm. best option might be out of the ducks who have a glut of young d men and are in need of top 6 scoring. not sold on fowler but shea theodore (right shot) is a guy who's not far off being nhl ready.

last thing we need is another unproven D.
I would honestly would rather have Phaneuf with some retention than Shea friggin Theodore.

Byfuglien we should be able to shake free ..we certainly have the assets

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

Theodore is a lefty, but he paired well with Nurse at the world juniors. Wouldn't mind seeing that again.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If he signs in Minny, does that mean they trade one of Suter, Brodin, Dumba, Scandella or Spurgeon? Because I'd happily take any one of those guys.

I see him there or somewhere like Florida or Dallas. He's from MN spends his summers there and they could make the space needed pretty easily by shipping out Spurgeon and with Backstrom coming off the books.

I just don't think he's a realistic option for us unless we are prepared to offer him a contract that far outbids other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad