Yakupov + Schultz + for Hamonic

Hall - Drai - X
X - McDavid - Eberle

Nurse - Jones
Klefbom - Hamonic

:)

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
The Oilers can be one of the only teams in the NHL to be able to run 3 elite C's and still be able to afford it.

I don't mind if they pay Draisaitl, RNH and McDavid to run an incredible core.

This will allow us to run 3 awesome scoring lines like our foes in Chicago.

The next question is: Can you then afford a 6M winger?

You only can, in my opinion, if it's Taylor Hall. Or, for my money, a guy that plays hard every night.

Jordan Eberle is a solid complimentary player. If he's being paid 4-5M, you're really happy. At 6M though, if we need to spread that money somewhere else AND we need to deal for a D-man, he's the guy that's replaceable. Also, the guy rarely wins a battle on the boards.

You'd think a few free agents would sign for a bit cheaper and provide similar production here if they know they get to play with elite center talent.

Now, if you like Eberle, and you don't want to deal him, move Yakupov then. We can roll with Hall-Drai, RNH-Ebs, McD-vet winger tandems. Not the same salary reduction though.

Chicago has one scoring line this year. Kane/Panarin/Anisimov. Those three have combined for 51 ES points. The rest of their forwards have combined for 33. Toews has the 4th most even strength points with a whopping 7 in 27 GP. Yak, Pouliot, RNH, Purcell, Draisaitl, Hall, and McDavid (in half the games) all have more even strength points than Toews at this point.

Why did the 16 teams that made the playoffs last year have their 4th highest scoring forward average 47 points in 81 GP? No chance in hell the Oilers can get consistent scoring from 3 lines. Why? Because no other team in the NHL can. At least not at the pace Oilers fans think is possible.

It's time to bring in forwards with intangibles the Oilers lack who still get their 40 points a year playing on the 2nd/3rd line instead of the physically weak, perimeter forwards who don't do much to contribute to wins if they aren't scoring. When you have Hall and Draisaitl scoring over a PPG pace and the best prospect since Crosby, all you need to do is fill out the rest of the forwards with a bunch of 15-20 goal/ 35-50 point, hard to play against players who play well at both ends of the ice.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
BNL's "thoughts of the hour" include;

-Justin Schultz for Andrew Shaw and a pick.
-Jordan Eberle for Dustin Byfgulien and a conditional 1st.
-Mark Fayne, Anton Slepyshev and a 2nd for Scott Hartnell

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Hartnell-Nugent Hopkins-Shaw
Hendricks-Lander-Letestu
Pakarinen

Klefbom-Byfuglien
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Gryba
Nikitin, Ference

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Hendricks-Lander-Letestu
Pakarinen

Klefbom-Byfuglien
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Gryba
Nikitin, Ference[/QUOTE

All those deals favor Oilers by a lot

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Chicago has one scoring line this year. Kane/Panarin/Anisimov. Those three have combined for 51 ES points. The rest of their forwards have combined for 33. Toews has the 4th most even strength points with a whopping 7 in 27 GP. Yak, Pouliot, RNH, Purcell, Draisaitl, Hall, and McDavid (in half the games) all have more even strength points than Toews at this point.

Why did the 16 teams that made the playoffs last year have their 4th highest scoring forward average 47 points in 81 GP? No chance in hell the Oilers can get consistent scoring from 3 lines. Why? Because no other team in the NHL can. At least not at the pace Oilers fans think is possible.

It's time to bring in forwards with intangibles the Oilers lack who still get their 40 points a year playing on the 2nd/3rd line instead of the physically weak, perimeter forwards who don't do much to contribute to wins if they aren't scoring. When you have Hall and Draisaitl scoring over a PPG pace and the best prospect since Crosby, all you need to do is fill out the rest of the forwards with a bunch of 15-20 goal/ 35-50 point, hard to play against players who play well at both ends of the ice.

Just because you have 3 scoring lines doesn't mean they have to be weak to play against.

I'm looking at guys like Hartnell, Backes, Brouwer, Lucic this summer who can score but can also pack a punch.

We could always shift Drai to the wing and move RNH up as well at varying times if you wanted a grittier 3rd line. Think all of our C's though can work in any role. The only two forwards who probably wouldn't work in two-way roles are Eberle and Yakupov.

BTW Chicago's not going to win the cup this year because they lost their depth at forward. They were rolling:

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Richards-Kane
Teravainen-Vermette-Versteeg

which worked quite well for them. 5 of those guys are gone and although Panarin and Anisimov are good replacement guys, the loss of the rest of the depth will cost them. Poor Toews has Garbutt as a linemate half the time.

I wouldn't ever stop trying to ice the best team possible.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Hendricks-Lander-Letestu
Pakarinen

Klefbom-Byfuglien
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Gryba
Nikitin, Ference[/QUOTE

All those deals favor Oilers by a lot
They don't. Buff is UFA and I don't think Oilers want Hartnell. Those hurt the Oilers, not help.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Hendricks-Lander-Letestu
Pakarinen

Klefbom-Byfuglien
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Gryba
Nikitin, Ference

I'd do the first two. Especially together. 3rd one I'm iffy on, would rather not trade slep.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Very tough decision to make with RNH. He is nice insurance to have and no doubt he will go on a run at some point and help to team win games but his trade value is only going to keep dropping.

He's 22 right now so a good chunk of his value is probably based on his potential. A team might think that putting him in a different system could lead to a 70 point center. If we wait until he is 24, that potential won't be so appealing and his value will simply be that of a 50 point player.

If Seth Jones is on the table, I think you have to make that trade.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Hendricks-Lander-Letestu
Pakarinen

Klefbom-Byfuglien
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Gryba
Nikitin, Ference

Why are the jets adding a conditional 1st? If they move dusty they will get a good return without giving up a first

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I'd like to see something like Eberle or Nuge for Enstrom or Trouba (Trouba preferably). I suspect Trouba and his agent will be looking for 4+M from the Jets. The Oilers might have to take salary back to make it work for the Jets.

MPStoEberletoHall*

I'd like to see something like Eberle or Nuge for Enstrom or Trouba (Trouba preferably). I suspect Trouba and his agent will be looking for 4+M from the Jets. The Oilers might have to take salary back to make it work for the Jets.

It would have to be RNH+ for Trouba, which I would honestly be ok with. I live in Winnipeg, so I see a lot of Trouba. The kid is a beast. I dream of a Nurse-Trouba pairing :yo:

2 tough kids who can skate, play physical, and provide offence.

Winnipeg isn't trading him though. I'd argue that he is their most untouchable piece they have on that roster

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Seth Jones has 0 points in his last 13 GP.

His possession numbers look great this season but he's playing 3rd pair quality of comp (behind Weber-Josi, Ekholm-Ellis).

2nd unit PK
2nd unit PP

He's 21 but he's unproven. Trading RNH for him at this point is an overpay. RNH is a proven top six C who can play a two-way game and is still only 22 years old.

I'd rather be trying to pry Ellis out of NSH with a deal involving Yakupov. Ellis is playing the harder minutes and still basically doing exactly what Jones is doing.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Seth Jones has 0 points in his last 13 GP.

His possession numbers look great this season but he's playing 3rd pair quality of comp (behind Weber-Josi, Ekholm-Ellis).

2nd unit PK
2nd unit PP

He's 21 but he's unproven. Trading RNH for him at this point is an overpay. RNH is a proven top six C who can play a two-way game and is still only 22 years old.

I'd rather be trying to pry Ellis out of NSH with a deal involving Yakupov. Ellis is playing the harder minutes and still basically doing exactly what Jones is doing.

I dunno about yak, I think they would want someone more proven but at this point I would be fine with trading Ebs for Ellis(+?). I still think Yak has the potential to be better and the more complete player. He's cheaper and his contract gives flexibility.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I dunno about yak, I think they would want someone more proven but at this point I would be fine with trading Ebs for Ellis(+?). I still think Yak has the potential to be better and the more complete player. He's cheaper and his contract gives flexibility.

Eberle and Schultz for Ellis, Wilson and a 2nd/3rd?

I don't know if Ellis is good enough for the D I'd envision Eberle landing.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge

I think Shultz kills it in regards to the money going to Nashville but I think its a good basis. Having as another option for center would be nice. Is he rh or lh? Another rh forward would be good to have.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Why are the jets adding a conditional 1st? If they move dusty they will get a good return without giving up a first

Getting a young contracted top 6 scorer actually seems pretty good return for a UFA d.....even of Byfugliens caliber.

IMO the Oilers would need an agreement with the player or a 1st in case Byfuglien walks or the terms are too crazy to re-sign him.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Just because you have 3 scoring lines doesn't mean they have to be weak to play against.

I'm looking at guys like Hartnell, Backes, Brouwer, Lucic this summer who can score but can also pack a punch.

We could always shift Drai to the wing and move RNH up as well at varying times if you wanted a grittier 3rd line. Think all of our C's though can work in any role. The only two forwards who probably wouldn't work in two-way roles are Eberle and Yakupov.

BTW Chicago's not going to win the cup this year because they lost their depth at forward. They were rolling:

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Richards-Kane
Teravainen-Vermette-Versteeg

which worked quite well for them. 5 of those guys are gone and although Panarin and Anisimov are good replacement guys, the loss of the rest of the depth will cost them. Poor Toews has Garbutt as a linemate half the time.

I wouldn't ever stop trying to ice the best team possible.

People think you can roll 3 scoring lines and have all the players at a PPG pace. In reality you'd have 2, maybe 3 players around a PPG, then the other 6,7 players would be around a .5 to .7 PPG. That's if the team is a high scoring team. It's impossible to roll 3 lines and get equal production from each line.

Best thing to do this season when fully healthy would be to balance out the 3 scoring lines and stack 2 lines when we need a goal or two.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Down Goes Brown Verified account
‏@DownGoesBrown
Since 1997, excluding holiday freezes and post-deadline, the NHL has gone a month without a trade four times. Two of those were this season.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me

Shifting Drai to the wing would be a huge mistake. Drai is meant to be a centre. Need to continue to develop him as a centre.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Down Goes Brown Verified account
‏@DownGoesBrown
Since 1997, excluding holiday freezes and post-deadline, the NHL has gone a month without a trade four times. Two of those were this season.

That's interesting I guess we should have a trade coming through soon, can't imagine going through 3 months without a single trade taking place.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Shifting Drai to the wing would be a huge mistake. Drai is meant to be a centre. Need to continue to develop him as a centre.

it didnt seem like a mistake his first 3 games this season.. Hall-RNH-Drai line dominated. Draisaitl can play both C and RW... Most of his production is from the right side anyway so it doesnt really matter what position he plays.
if nothing else it will boost RNH's trade value

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
it didnt seem like a mistake his first 3 games this season.. Hall-RNH-Drai line dominated. Draisaitl can play both C and RW... Most of his production is from the right side anyway so it doesnt really matter what position he plays.
if nothing else it will boost RNH's trade value

My opinion especially when you see in teams in the playoffs is it's great to have 2c's on a line if you have that luxury where you can have two guys who can play either wing or center. You have two guys who can be natural play makers, win face offs and be defensively responsible.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

Ellis is nowhere near good enough to improve the Oilers D. He is a classic small, sheltered middle pairing D man who would flounder if forced to play higher in the lineup as any D obtained by trading Eberle would need to be. Look at his ice time last year. Solidly behind each of Weber, Josi, and Jones in avg toi and within 2 seconds of Ekholm. Ekholm did not get 1 second of PP time last year. He is a slightly better version of MAB and that's it. We already have a log jam of 3-5 defensemen. If Eberle or another substantial mix of assets go, there'd better be a guy with legit top pairing potential. That is not Ellis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig