Speculation: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part 18:Soli Smells Like He Needs a Shower Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Perfect Human*

Would anyone be in favour of taking a calculated risk on Ville Leino?

He's probably going to be bought out by the Sabres. 2 years at 2.5M per year?

Happily in a 3rd line role. Very similar to Peverley.

H4LL

Jul 8, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree that the Penguins model cannot be matched as they have 2 of the league's 3 best players, but I don't at all think the Hawks model is unrealistic. RNH, Hall & Eberle bring all of the attributes Toews and Kane do. The things that separate the Hawks & Oilers is defense and depth. The core pieces are there (Toews/Hall, Kane/RNH, Hossa/Eberle, Sharp/Yakupov). The biggest piece needed for the puzzle is a Duncan Keith. Craig Button thinks Klefbom's biggest comparable is Seabrook. Obviously that could take a few years, and in a perfect world J. Schultz would turn into Keith. The biggest worry is that we may not have time for that.

Ideally, to follow the Hawks model:
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Gagner-(1)-Yakupov
Paajarvi-(2)-(3)
Hartikainen-(4)-(5)
Brown

1- Big C, doesn't have to be an offensive stud. Chicago uses Handzus/Bolland (Acquired via trade: Umberger? ? Kesler? Couturier? Ott? Lecavalier? Stastny? Grabovski?)
2- Monahan? Z. Smith
3- MacArthur, Stafford, Bickell, Latendresse, PM Bouchard, Stalberg
4- Lander? B. Boyle,
5- Latendresse, PM Bouchard

Bottom 6 of two way forwards that can ship in offensively, half of them big players. NOT guys like Smithson(no offense), Belanger(no offense, toughness), Smyth(no offense, toughness).

Smid-(1)
(2)-Petry
Belov-J. Schultz
Klefbom

1- Big minutes eater, puck-moving defenseman
2- Veteran top-4 defenseman, very responsible defensively

I'm sure there's great forward candidates that I missed, this was all off the top of my head.

You read my mind. This is exactly the strategy they should employ. Faith in MacT.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Portzline says Columbus is out on Raanta, but I guess that's not exactly surprising.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Any interest in trading a 4th rounder for Streit's rights? It would give your front office a few weeks, to hammer out a deal, before the feeding frenzy of the ufa market opens?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Any interest in trading a 4th rounder for Streit's rights? It would give your front office a few weeks, to hammer out a deal, before the feeding frenzy of the ufa market opens?

Meh, I think the only reason why Streit would sign here is his connection with Krueger.

If he'll sign with the Oilers before UFA starts, he'll sign with them after it starts too.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Meh, I think the only reason why Streit would sign here is his connection with Krueger.

If he'll sign with the Oilers before UFA starts, he'll sign with them after it starts too.

And I always worry when guys know this is their last pay day on the open market.

I can't see him signing before he tests the waters and sees which GM will be the moron of free agency.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada

Nadda, I don't believe in trading for players rights. If the player wants to play here, he will sign here.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
And I always worry when guys know this is their last pay day on the open market.

I can't see him signing before he tests the waters and sees which GM will be the moron of free agency.

That makes sense. From early March to now, I've been reading about Streit's possible salary expectations. The numbers have gone from 3 yrs/$10m to up to $6m per.
Sounds like Streit's rep, has reminded him this will be his last big contract and it's a weak ufa market.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
That makes sense. From early March to now, I've been reading about Streit's possible salary expectations. The numbers have gone from 3 yrs/$10m to up to $6m per.
Sounds like Streit's rep, has reminded him this will be his last big contract and it's a weak ufa market.

Ya, supply and demand might create a strange UFA period this year. Even at his age, streit can move the puck and be a top 4 guy, and the market is so weak he's going to command quite the premium.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Still no word on Raanta? I'd almost take a "Garfield" post by this point. Almost...

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I like the chances of it bring the oilers due to the secrecy of it all. The Oilers front office has played everything really close to the chest the last few years.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
For me, the problem with Streit is likely to be term, more than money per year.

Sounds like he's going to get 3 or more years, personally I would be hesitant to go more than one year, maybe 2 if the number is low enough (which would surprise me). I would let someone else take that risk.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Samuel Savolainen ‏@UL_Savolainen 6m

Kuulemani mukaan ainakaan Minnesota Wildin puolella ei ole vieläkään kuultu Raannan päätöksen lopputulemaa. #änäri #NHLfi

Minnesota Wild hasn't still heard anything from Raanta's camp. Should be a good thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad