Rumor: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Eberle Trade Watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Eberle for Barrie straight up after the freeze.

It is written.
It's better if they stay put before expansion draft , I am fine with losing Reinhart or Khaira or even better yet pouliot . It makes no sense for Chia to deal earlier unless he is winning the Eberle trade .

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
While I pretty much never find myself agreeing with Raab, Sekera is quite moveable in the latter years in his deal. The last 2 years has a 15 team list that he will accept a move to. And the other 15 teams may still be possible if he agrees to waive. And at 33/34, he should still be a useful player.

I'd rather have Sekera than Dion. Andrej is a good soldier that does his job well. He's better than Phaneuf IMO, and no character issues to speak of.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Ference was a top 4 defenceman in his day, physical, minute munching, good for ~20 points, wasn't overly mobile, lots of parallels. His lower body went and so did his career.

If that lineup you posted doesn't go out and win a cup immediately - like, 2 seasons - we will have wasted Connor McDavid. It's flat to the cap and has almost no scoring punch outside of McDavid/Drai.

Phaneuf was a top 3 dman for over 10 years... Not comparable at all

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
How does Dion alter our cap if we are basically moving him for RNH? It really doesn't hurt our cap if we can move the deadweight on the roster.

Maroon-Mcdavid-Draisaitl Lets say 22M
Lucic-Brassard-Strome 13M
Caggiula-Cheap center/Brown-Kassian - 5M?
Slepyshev-Letestu-Pakarainen 3M

Total = 45M with two extras

Klefbom-Larsson 8.4M
Sekera-Phaneuf 11.5M
Nurse-Benning 3M

Total = 24M with an extra dman

Goaltending 5M with a backup

Total: 74M with a projected cap hit of 75M next year... and thats after resigning Mcdavid and Draisaitl to 10M and 8M deals respectively and spending 4M on Maroon... If we pencil in Puljujarvi next year its even more affordable.

Forwards become:

Maroon-Mcdavid-Strome
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Brassard-Kassian
Slepyshev-Letestu-Pakarainen

McDavid's 9.7M doesn't kick in until 2018-19. I'd prefer keeping Nuge for another season over trading for Brassard.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Raab... just curious why you think Ottawa would trade away Logan Brown?

I'd certainly like to have him in the Oilers prospect pipeline as he was VERY high on my want list in that draft... but I don't see him being thrown into a trade by the Sens.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I'd rather have Sekera than Dion. Andrej is a good soldier that does his job well. He's better than Phaneuf IMO, and no character issues to speak of.

You do realize we can have both for the duration of their deals if they continue to perform. We can also move Phaneuf in 2 years pretty easily if we wait until after July 1st and pay his 1M signing bonus making his salary 5.5M for the final 2 years of his deal.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
It's better if they stay put before expansion draft , I am fine with losing Reinhart or Khaira or even better yet pouliot . It makes no sense for Chia to deal earlier unless he is winning the Eberle trade .

Bingo.

I don't see how he's traded for a defenseman before the freeze, exposing 3 more forwards right after we lose 20 goals and 50 points seems odd.

Unless Chia has some magic up his sleeve with a pre-existing deal with Vegas and maybe some pull in free agency... well it's still a lot of "ifs".

If Eberle somehow goes before the freeze, I think it's going to be for a forward.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Sekera is miles better than Phaneuf. Sekera is a solid, steady all around dman who won't hurt you and solidifies the blueline.

Phaneuf is an overpaid, overhyped adventure of a dman who is a net negative out there who hurts you more than he helps you with his flaws which outweigh his declining benefits. Pretty wife though so there's that.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

I'd certainly like to have him in the Oilers prospect pipeline as he was VERY high on my want list in that draft... but I don't see him being thrown into a trade by the Sens.

I dont know that they would, but if were moving RNH for Phaneuf I want some compensation and would ask for Brown to help fill our 3rd line center position in a few years in case Brassard walks. I also have time for Colin White who I think realistically makes the deal fair, but given Ottawa's situation with regard to the expansion draft, I try and squeeze Brown out of them.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Beyond boring. Every year the media/insiders talk about how much teams are talking to one another concerning players. "I think ___ will be moved, and this specific team/teams are interested in acquiring the player."

The only 'blockbuster' so far has been the Drouin and Sergachev trade. Other than that, its been plainly speculation and rumors. Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Sekera is miles better than Phaneuf. Sekera is a solid, steady all around dman who won't hurt you and solidifies the blueline.

Phaneuf is an overpaid, overhyped adventure of a dman who is a net negative out there who hurts you more than he helps you with his flaws which outweigh his declining benefits. Pretty wife though so there's that.

The thing with Phaneuf is even if his skating goes in a few years you can use him on the PP and 3rd pairing. There's no way he's worst then Gryba by age 36, none. And as I said he's movable to. When you see guys like Clarkson get moved, anyones movable.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

If we're taking on that Phaneuf albatross and potential locker room problem, we better be getting a nice incentive like Logan Brown.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You do realize we can have both for the duration of their deals if they continue to perform. We can also move Phaneuf in 2 years pretty easily if we wait until after July 1st and pay his 1M signing bonus making his salary 5.5M for the final 2 years of his deal.

Or we could just not acquire Phaneuf and go after a stopgap option that isn't absurdly expensive with - again for emphasis - career long character issues.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The thing with Phaneuf is even if his skating goes in a few years you can use him on the PP and 3rd pairing. There's no way he's worst then Gryba by age 36, none. And as I said he's movable to. When you see guys like Clarkson get moved, anyones movable.

Gryba makes a million dollars. Phaneuf makes 6. All things considered I'd rather have Gryba and 5 mil in cap space.

I have no words for how screwed we would be with Dion Phaneuf playing 3rd pairing minutes.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Beyond boring. Every year the media/insiders talk about how much teams are talking to one another concerning players. "I think ___ will be moved, and this specific team/teams are interested in acquiring the player."

The only 'blockbuster' so far has been the Drouin and Sergachev trade. Other than that, its been plainly speculation and rumors. Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

Right? Expected way more to happen today.

All it takes is one of the media to say "I would be surprised if BLANK didn't get moved" and I'm driven crazy with anticipation.

And then nothing happens anyways. Hamonic, Barrie, Trouba all were supposed to be traded last off season. Seemed more likely coupled with the fact that 2 of those 3 literally asked for a trade. And nothing. I'm still chomping at the bit here for it to happen.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Or we could just not acquire Phaneuf and go after a stopgap option that isn't absurdly expensive with - again for emphasis - career long character issues.

Kassian had character issues... guys change. I dont see Phaneuf coming in here and acting like the cocky **** he was in Calgary. Especially if he's traded for a bag of pucks. He'll know he's not at the top of the totem pole here.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Gryba makes a million dollars. Phaneuf makes 6. All things considered I'd rather have Gryba and 5 mil in cap space.

I have no words for how screwed we would be with Dion Phaneuf playing 3rd pairing minutes.

Thats worst case scenario, I dont think he'll slow down enough to not play top 4 minutes. Now whether injuries take a toll is a different matter. The guy is good on the boards, can clear the net, keep forwards honest due to open ice hits, big slapshot from the point and can move the puck. He's basically everything people are hoping for from Nurse, except he's not relying on potential.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Right? Expected way more to happen today.

All it takes is one of the media to say "I would be surprised if BLANK didn't get moved" and I'm driven crazy with anticipation.

Even when nothing happens. Hamonic, Barrie, Trouba all were supposed to be trade last off season. Seemed more likely couple with 2 of those 3 literally asking for a trade. And nothing. I'm still chomping at the bit here for it to happen.

Yeah, its just irritating. All I continue to hear or heard from the insiders lately have been trades galore were bound to happen, teams are talking, ___ is getting interest from a specific amount of teams. Yet all we got thus far has been Drouin for Sergachev.

Gotta love how everybody has to wait until Wednesday for the Vegas trades implemented by the NHL. The NHL is such a stupid league.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Kassian had character issues... guys change. I dont see Phaneuf coming in here and acting like the cocky **** he was in Calgary. Especially if he's traded for a bag of pucks. He'll know he's not at the top of the totem pole here.

Kassian is cheap, young, and only cost us Ben Scrivens.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Thats worst case scenario, I dont think he'll slow down enough to not play top 4 minutes. Now whether injuries take a toll is a different matter. The guy is good on the boards, can clear the net, keep forwards honest due to open ice hits, big slapshot from the point and can move the puck. He's basically everything people are hoping for from Nurse, except he's not relying on potential.

Sounds like a player Toronto should have kept, not shoved out the door for a pile of cap dumps.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Kassian is cheap, young, and only cost us Ben Scrivens.

Phaneuf only costs us Pouliot if you think Brassard and Brown are worth RNHI think taking Brown actually means that Phaneuf costs us less then Pouliot but JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad