Rumor: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Eberle Trade Watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
He's just bitter he misread the Hall situation last year.

He correctly read that the Oilers were desperate and were willing to trade Hall for a D.

He misread that another GM wouldn't be as over-the-top greedy as himself and actually make a decent hockey deal with Chia.

And now he doesn't want to give in or lose face in a potential Hamonic deal.

Yup. No chance he moves Hamonic for Eberle after refusing Hall last year. That would just look too bad on him.

He would rather overpay another FA like Ladd in the off season.

Can't see Tavares signing there.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He's just bitter he misread the Hall situation last year.

He correctly read that the Oilers were desperate and were willing to trade Hall for a D.

He misread that another GM wouldn't be as over-the-top greedy as himself and actually make a decent hockey deal with Chia.

And now he doesn't want to give in or lose face in a potential Hamonic deal.

Watch Snow will protect 5 dmen lose another important offensive piece off his team for nothing he will then try and move a dman after expansion draft other Gm's will be fed up with him and he will get no action, the Islanders will be 6/7 games below .500 by Xmas and he will be canned because Tavares will be looking elsewhere.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree with the posters suggesting that the Hamonic deal just doesnt seem to make a lot of sense when you consider the history.
I would be really surprised if that deal goes down.

The Eberle for Barrie deal seems to make the most sense for the teams involved.
There might well be some adds on both sides as well.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
So re-wroking my original deal. How about RNH+Pouliot+3rd for Brassard+White+Phaneuf(2.5M retained)?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I agree with the posters suggesting that the Hamonic deal just doesnt seem to make a lot of sense when you consider the history.

I think Eberle to Vegas for two lesser forwards or a defenceman makes more sense...

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
How has Snow been a GM for 11 years?

Because every once in a while, through all their dark times, they will make the playoffs and it feels like they've finally made. Except, they just fall back down right after.

I think that offseason where he got Boychuk and Leddy really saved his bacon.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

How does a Barrie for Eberle trade make sense for Colorado? I would like to understand the reasoning, because I can count multiple reasons why it makes no sense for the Avs and frankly would be a bizarre move.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
So Brooks is saying that the Rangers won't take anything less than a "no doubt first-pair right defenceman" for Derek Stepan.

Seems a tad steep for a guy who's never cracked 60 points in a season and is a career 45% on the dot...and if the Rags are going to deal him, they've only got a couple weeks before his no trade clause kicks in on July 1 so it's not like they don't have some internal pressures to make something happen sooner than later.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
How does a Barrie for Eberle trade make sense for Colorado? I would like to understand the reasoning, because I can count multiple reasons why it makes no sense for the Avs and frankly would be a bizarre move.

Pretty simple really....it makes sense because the Avs need offence and have plenty of cap space. This is especially true if Duchene is on his way out of town.

Please do list your multiple reasons on why this would be so bizarre.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
So Brooks is saying that the Rangers won't take anything less than a "no doubt first-pair right defenceman" for Derek Stepan.

Seems a tad steep for a guy who's never cracked 60 points in a season and is a career 45% on the dot...and if the Rags are going to deal him, they've only got a couple weeks before his no trade clause kicks in on July 1 so it's not like they don't have some internal pressures to make something happen sooner than later.

Let someone give it to them.. it would raise RNH's value!

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Straight up absolutely. But if take Pou and Fayne in return there's gotta be a point where Ottawa would retain enough on Phaneuf to make you do that deal. How much would Ottawa need to retain for that deal to happen?

Honestly, taking Fayne and Pouliot doesn't really change much. The biggest problem with his cap hit is how long it's on the books for. Trading two bad contracts that are up in one and two years respectively doesn't help us down the road where Dion becomes a major problem for us.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Rounding out the forwards with what exactly? More bottom 6 players?

I think you should look at the list of players most likely to be available for Vegas. If we could trade for William Karlsson and Stempniak I think that helps our team.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Honestly, taking Fayne and Pouliot doesn't really change much. The biggest problem with his cap hit is how long it's on the books for. Trading two bad contracts that are up in one and two years respectively doesn't help us down the road where Dion becomes a major problem for us.

Which is why you trade RNH for Brassard and WHite or Brown to go along with the bad Phaneuf contract. I think at 2.5M retained that he actually has value. Not to many dmen better then Phaneuf who make less then 4.5M

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Pretty simple really....it makes sense because the Avs need offence and have plenty of cap space.

Please do list your multiple reasons on why this would be so bizarre.

Okay, since you asked:

(1) Eberle is slightly older than Barrie, although perhaps not enough to be significant. Sakic has repeatedly stressed that the Avs need to get younger in the offseason.

(2) Eberle plays a less valuable position than Barrie. This is compounded by the fact that the Avs have been desperately searching for D-men for several years and they have no one within the organization to replace Barrie's skill set.

(3) Eberle makes slightly more money than Barrie and has one less contract year remaining.

(4) Eberle is represented by Newport Sports. You know, Newport, the agency that Pierre Lacroix refused to deal with for years and had a public spat with Don Meehan. The same Newport that represented ROR during his tenure with the Avs and the same agency that represented Barrie last year when the Avs went through an arbitration hearing with him. The Avs have a long history of not being able to negotiate with Newport. The end result, Eberle is unlikely to be re-sign IMO after two years.

Taking all of the above into consideration, why would the Avs make this trade? Oilers fans may respond with "well we will throw in a later round draft pick or prospect." If the Avs keep Barrie for two and a half seasons and trade him as a pending UFA at the TDL in 2020, they very well could net a late first round draft pick and a B level prospect based on history.

You add it all up and, like I stated previously, it would be a bizarre move by the Avs. It has no significant positive impact for the Avs in the short term and no foreseeable impact in the long term, at least on the surface.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Seems like you're the only one that wants Phaneuf on this team.

I guess Im the only one who see a realistic option for us to trade for. Phaneuf checks a lot of boxes for this team as well. I dont understand how so many people love Nurse, but hate Phaneuf who is basically everything people wish Nurse was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad