Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Eberle Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Eberle has 2 years left on his contract, and people want to replace him with a lesser version who you'd have to overpay in $ and term?
makes zero sense.
I thought the whole "get rid of Eberle" was to shed his contract, and peole want pto add a what would be a worse one?

Yeah there's no way we dip into the top end of the UFA market on a winger like Oshie. Williams might make sense if it's 1-2 years but I think adding some speed to the wings might be a bigger concern for Chia and Co. so Williams might not be a good fit.

Ebs replacement= Gallager/Smith/Hansen type.

RNH replacement= Cizikas/Haula/Sobotka type.

This saves 4-5 million which we can use on defense, and our 5vs5 offense doesn't take a step back while getting harder to play against. We should be giving the 1st unit PP a bigger share of those minutes and a guy like Caggiula can step into a bigger role on unit #2 to replace some of Ebs/RNH production there.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Yeah there's no way we dip into the top end of the UFA market on a winger like Oshie. Williams might make sense if it's 1-2 years but I think adding some speed to the wings might be a bigger concern for Chia and Co. so Williams might not be a good fit.

Ebs replacement= Gallager/Smith/Hansen type.

RNH replacement= Cizikas/Haula/Sobotka type.

This saves 4-5 million which we can use on defense, and our 5vs5 offense doesn't take a step back while getting harder to play against. We should be giving the 1st unit PP a bigger share of those minutes and a guy like Caggiula can step into a bigger role on unit #2 to replace some of Ebs/RNH production there.

Exactly, get a short term replacement until Pulji is able to challenge that spot.

What do you think Edmonton would have to offer Oshie as a UFA? no matter what, it would be worse than 2 years of Eberle at 6 mill.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Eberle is better than Oshie. cmon now.

They're very comparable players. Eberle has a bit of a better goal scoring touch (although he hasn't demonstrated that as much the last couple years), Oshie is a more difficult player to play against.

Oshie also had a much better year (with a ridiculous shooting percentage to go along with it).

Problem with Oshie is he turns 31 next year and is going to want the same sort of contract that Lucic/Okposo got last year. The Oilers can't add another deal like that on the wing.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Eberle + Nurse + 1st for Parayko
Just kidding ;)

I would do that deal just to have a right side of Larsson, Parako, Benning. STL could throw in something to like a depth player. It is an over payment but makes our team better now and in the future

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sure does.

Also means I think a Pouliot buyout is inevitable. The extra 2.7M is going to be needed.

I don't think so. That buy out spread over four years hurts us a lot more than $4m this year.

We're not in a bad spot financially this year.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Chicago is going to need to dump more salary. Kruger alone won't be enough.

Seabrook is a goner. If Benning has half a brain he can turn that team around in an instant this summer....if Shero doesn't step in there first.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
How does this look for the off-season?

3C: Preferred? Jarnkrok (2M x 5 years are you kidding me!!) Realistic? Erik Haula for a 2018 2nd, or sign Derek Ryan to 2 years.

I'd still try to sign Ryan regardless. Seems to be a great utility/depth option. Can play 3C, 4C, 3RW/4RW in a pinch, contribute on the PP, excellent on faceoffs, not sure how he is on the PK. With Eberle gone and not being able to count on JP, might instead sign a UFA who can slot into the top 6, pushing Slepy & Kassian down. Then again, have to think JP would be ready to slot into the top 6 by the playoffs, which is when our RW depth chart might take a hit (Drai to 2C, Nuge to 3C).

2RD: Preferred? Josh Manson. Realistic? Trade Eberle for Demers or Hamonic, alternative is to trade him to Vegas for Pysyk/Petrovic.

Stop-gap until Sekera gets back...
3LD: Preferred? Brandon Davidson. There is probably a UFA somewhere that fits the bill. Would rather not run Nurse 2D and Reinhart 3D, or even count on Reinhart to be here at all.

Run Pouliot on the 3rd line, let him build up his value and try to trade him with max retained at the deadline. (We can afford his salary going into next season)

Maroon/McDavid/Draisaitl
Lucic/Nuge/Slepyshev
Pouliot/Haula/Kassian
Caggiula/Letestu/Ryan
Extra forwards: Khaira/Pitlick

Klefbomb/Larsson
Nurse/Hamonic
?/Benning
7D: Reinhart, if claimed try Oesterle or Gryba instead.

I like the RD depth chart, Nurse will be fine alongside Hamonic imo. Would prefer to get a veteran to play with Benning and play up the depth chart if needed.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Seabrook is a goner. If Benning has half a brain he can turn that team around in an instant this summer....if Shero doesn't step in there first.

If you're suggesting that the Canucks trading for Seabrook would be a good thing for them, I don't agree.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

How would Shero get Seabrook to waive his NTC and accept a trade to New Jersey???

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
So from what I've gathered Chia is scrambling to dump salary for some sort of value so he can protect Reinhart because Vegas is not going to do us a cap favour.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
So from what I've gathered Chia is scrambling to dump salary for some sort of value so he can protect Reinhart because Vegas is not going to do us a cap favour.

Vegas will do anybody a solid for draft picks

Not sure what has changed or what you heard?

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
I wouldn't be all that shocked if we move Eberle for picks and Prospects now that I think of it. Seems crazy to do but if we have Vegas as a three way they want 1sts and Prospects for players I don't think they care about anyone they select for the future as most will be UFA when they go to compete

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I don't think so. That buy out spread over four years hurts us a lot more than $4m this year.

We're not in a bad spot financially this year.

The buyout penalty is 1.3M in 19-20 and 20-21. It's nothing.

Their renewals next July are the killer. Long term budgeting is okay because of how the Oilers contracts are layered.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
What's RNH worth to Vegas on the condition they take Pouliot? Say the Islanders protect all 4-5 of their good defensemen and leave e forwards exposed. Would Cizikas and Petrovic be a reasonable return?

Would Minnesota consider dealing Koivu for a 1st and a prospect? One year left with his real dollars a lot higher than his cap hit. 9.2 vs 6.75. They might want to protect some younger players with the longer term in mind.

Would Montreal do Gallager for Eberle? They certainly have some cap space this summer.

Maroon McDavid Drai
Lucic Koivu Gallager
Caggiula Cizikas Kassian/Pulju
Khaira Letestu Kassian/Slepyshev

Klefbom Larsson
??? (maybe Russell) Petrovic
Nurse Benning

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Flat cap next year announced. Going to put a damper on things.

Works in our favour IMO, if the cap is lower McDavid/Draisaitl can only ask for a certain amount of it, if it was going way up, their agents would be asking for more. Getting those two on as cap friendly of deals as possible is much more important than having extra money to overspend on some role players.

For next year actually it would be in our favour if the cap actually went down, lol.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What would be the downside of just doing say Reinhart + Pouliot to Arizona for Brad Richardson (1 year x 2 million, cap dump)?

The way I see it if Vegas is not going to take Pouliot, then they're going to take Reinhart from us for free anyway.

This way at least we get rid of Pouliot's contract, mainly for the 18-19 season, which is when it would hurt us on the cap.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The buyout penalty is 1.3M in 19-20 and 20-21. It's nothing.

Their renewals next July are the killer. Long term budgeting is okay because of how the Oilers contracts are layered.

$1.3m is not nothing. Our cap situation gets considerably worse beginning next season. Each year getting seemingly worse. Every dollar matters. That flat cap this year does nothing for us this year except shine done reality on the fact Peter Chiarelli isn't a heavy buyer this offseason.

Pouliot may be traded--doubtful though. But I'd be pretty surprised to see them willing to throw some dead cap on the roster like that. We're not in trouble this year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Flat cap is good for us. McDavid/Draisaitl agents would ask for more if the cap was $77 mill next year.

Especially for Leon his agent can't use the "well we should be paid more than Gaudreau because the cap is higher this year" card.

It just is a sobering reality for those who thought we can spend willy/nilly and/or keep everyone for endless second/third chances to show they don't suck. But I already knew that reality was coming anyway.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If you're suggesting that the Canucks trading for Seabrook would be a good thing for them, I don't agree.

As a cap dump? Why the hell not? Who are the Canucks paying over the next 10 years? All it would cost the Canucks organization is money.

Gain a top pairing defenseman for next nothing then trade a top pairing for a while lot of something? That's how you improve your franchise in one summer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
As a cap dump? Why the hell not? Who are the Canucks paying over the next 10 years? All it would cost the Canucks organization is money.

Gain a top pairing defenseman for next nothing then trade a top pairing for a while lot of something? That's how you improve your franchise in one summer.

How long are they planning to rebuild for? 5+ years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad