Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Eberle Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Eberle is better than Oshie. cmon now.
I prefer Oshie, he plays with more of an edge, is more responsible defensively and battles through tight checking better. Though I do think Oshie had an unsustainable shooting percentage this year and will likely get paid more than he deserves cause of it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
As a cap dump? Why the hell not? Who are the Canucks paying over the next 10 years? All it would cost the Canucks organization is money.

Gain a top pairing defenseman for next nothing then trade a top pairing for a while lot of something? That's how you improve your franchise in one summer.

Because the Canucks acquiring Seabrook does nothing for them in the short term.

And Seabrook's value will completely crater if he plays on the Canucks. Even more so than it has now.

They'd be unable to trade his cap hit when they are actually ready to contend and he can't play in any capacity in the Top 4.

Not to mention the likely ridiculous cost Benning will overpay for him.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
$1.3m is not nothing. Our cap situation gets considerably worse beginning next season. Each year getting seemingly worse. Every dollar matters. That flat cap this year does nothing for us this year except shine done reality on the fact Peter Chiarelli isn't a heavy buyer this offseason.

1.3M is about 1.8% of the cap. Most teams have more dead cap than that in any given year.

The Oilers cap situation in general is grossly exaggerated, but it's really only at it's worst in 2018 with two 3 different 6M contracts still on the books under a player who is getting an 8+ million dollar raise. After that, the contracts are layered. Decisions will need to be made but there's always going to be space to make them. There's no Chicago style exodus necessary, unless something massive changes.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Flat cap is good for us. McDavid/Draisaitl agents would ask for more if the cap was $77 mill next year.

Especially for Leon his agent can't use the "well we should be paid more than Gaudreau because the cap is higher this year" card.

It just is a sobering reality for those who thought we can spend willy/nilly and/or keep everyone for endless second/third chances to show they don't suck. But I already knew that reality was coming anyway.

I agree completely but also have to believe those negotiations just got a whole heck of a lot harder if the cap stays flat.

I personally really want to see a significant amount of money left on the table by both players. Both seem like the kind of people that winning is far more important than money but who knows what they/their agents will do when numbers start flying all over the place.

Max term also makes more sense with a flat cap. Guaranteed money is always better than waiting and hoping. Take a 5 year deal, NHL scoring continues to go down, have an injury or off year, cap stays same and a player can actually lose value on their second contract.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
McDavid doesn't have to sign this year. If Chia uses the flat cap as a bargaining leverage, McDavid says See you next year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
McDavid doesn't have to sign this year. If Chia uses the flat cap as a bargaining leverage, McDavid says See you next year.

If McDavid wasn't at least interested in giving a discount he would assuredly wait till next year no matter what.

And Chia will undoubtedly HAVE to take the flat cap into consideration.

Like I said earlier it will most certainly make negotiations more difficult, but, by no means should McDavid walk away from the table. At least not if he actually cares about/prioritizes winning.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oshie is going to be courted by many teams. No chance he comes here.

He probably goes to Pitts to win a Cup.

He is American and has never played for a Canadian team, not even in junior/college. His wife is American.

They're not suddenly go to up and move north of the border at age 30 with two American kids.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree completely but also have to believe those negotiations just got a whole heck of a lot harder if the cap stays flat.

I personally really want to see a significant amount of money left on the table by both players. Both seem like the kind of people that winning is far more important than money but who knows what they/their agents will do when numbers start flying all over the place.

Max term also makes more sense with a flat cap. Guaranteed money is always better than waiting and hoping. Take a 5 year deal, NHL scoring continues to go down, have an injury or off year, cap stays same and a player can actually lose value on their second contract.

They should just sign at 9.7 and 7.5 and get it over with. Both Crosby and Malkin could've asked for more than they make right now too, you think they regret it playing in two straight Finals? That's what happens when you give your GM room to add a Phil Kessel.

Both Kane/Toews took reasonable contracts for they first 8 years of their career and the Hawks have 3 Cups because of it and they've only asked for huge pay days after bringing home the hardware.

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
Best situation for us i think is vegas selects jarnkrok and a dman like petrovic, pysyk, dumba, brodin, vatenen and we deal for jarkrok and a dman using ebs plus picks and prospects. Then sign a short term vet rw.

Maroon mcdavid Nuge
Lucic drai williams
Caguila Jarnkrok kass/slep
Khaira letestu kass/ slep

Klef lars
Sek dumba
Nurse benning
Gryba

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
They should just sign at 9.7 and 7.5 and get it over with. Both Crosby and Malkin could've asked for more than they make right now too, you think they regret it playing in two straight Finals? That's what happens when you give your GM room to add a Phil Kessel.

Both Kane/Toews took reasonable contracts for they first 8 years of their career and the Hawks have 3 Cups because of it and they've only asked for huge pay days after bringing home the hardware.

Yup exactly.

The numbers you put in there are honestly IMO the max those two should be signing coming off their entry level contracts. I would consider those numbers fair with max term. 7.5 puts Leon in a tie at the highest paid RFA with guys like Ekblad and Tarasenko. 9.7 for McDavid blows that out of the water by over 2 mill per...

Selfish of me I know but I hope they both sign for even less than that.

9 per for Mcdavid and 7 per for Leon and you got the McDavid winning a cup discount.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How long are they planning to rebuild for? 5+ years?

What is the definition of a rebuild?

The purpose is to gain as many valuable young assets as possible to refresh your roster. Trading **** all for Seabrook, then trading Tanev for a package of young prospects would be a very intelligent move by Benning. I'm struggling to see how it wouldn't.

People on this board can't seem to separate hockey players from their contracts and it's mind boggling. Brent Seabrook is still a very good defenseman today. If it wasn't for the fact the Hawks are in the depths of cap hell, that player wouldn't even be available.

No team's salary structure is going to be perfect. Teams are capable of carrying 'albatross' contracts if they spend accordingly. I'm not saying just any team should do so, but if your team isn't going to be spending to the cap anytime soon, why are people so obsessed with saving the billionaire owners a couple million dollars on their future payroll? Seriously...overpaid players don't always matter.

Them trading for Brent Seabrook would be no different than the contract we just have Milan Lucic. There is risk involved in the latter years for the quality play you will get in the present.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What is the definition of a rebuild?

The purpose is to gain as many valuable young assets as possible to refresh your roster. Trading **** all for Seabrook, then trading Tanev for a package of young prospects would be a very intelligent move by Benning. I'm struggling to see how it wouldn't.

People on this board can't seem to separate hockey players from their contracts and it's mind boggling. Brent Seabrook is still a very good defenseman today. If it wasn't for the fact the Hawks are in the depths of cap he'll, that player wouldn't be available.

No team's salary structure is going to be perfect. Teams are capable of carrying 'albatross' contracts if they spend accordingly.

Them trading for Brent Seabrook would be no different than the contract we just have Milan Lucic. They're is risk involved in the latter years for the quality play you will get in the present.

Yes ... except they don't have Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl ... they have Bo Horvat and Jake Virtanen. This is like saying "see she's pursuing a modelling career and that's how you do it" .... when a girl is 5'2 and plain looking.

They are not in the same situation to "pull a Lucic", also an aside, Lucic is 28, Seabrook is three years older. That's not an insignificant difference.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yes ... except they don't have Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl. This is like saying "see she's pursuing a modelling career and that's how you do it" .... when a girl is 5'2 and plain looking.

They are not in the same situation to "pull a Lucic", also an aside, Lucic is 28, Seabrook is three years older. That's not an insignificant difference.

Brent Seabrook is also a top four defenseman with a ridiculous resume. He's the exact type of veteran our team could've used pre-McDavid.

What are the Canucks doing holding on to Chris Tanev?

Look at the Canucks future payroll. It's barren. Seabrook would be a coup for them.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Oshie is going to be courted by many teams. No chance he comes here.

He probably goes to Pitts to win a Cup.
From what I read it sounded like he was very likely to be going back to Washington and I somewhat suspect the main reason he hasn't been re-signed already is the expansion draft.
---------------------------------------------------------

I've been thinking for a while whether or not Minny would do Dumba for Nurse, I know the Minny board would absolutely hate it, but in the real world I think it has a chance of happening. Boudreau did speak about how he thought it was important to add a more physical element to their backend and wanted a stronger net front clearing presence, Nurse would certainly fit the bill and he is more importantly expansion draft exempt which really helps them. Doing that would skew us to trading Eberle for nothing but futures, but we can possibly rectify that through free agency or supplementing our team by trading off other futures after the expansion draft.

Dumba as a player I've generally not been a huge fan of, he just makes too many stupid decisions, but I will recognize he has more offensive upside than Nurse and being fully honest Nurse himself certainly isn't above making stupid decisions, though I have a greater level of belief that Nurse will work that out of his game. Dumba's shot is something I don't think Nurse can replicate and I will say I wasn't a fan of Justin Schultz when he left, nor was I fan of Leddy when he got traded to NYI, but both found fits with new teams and found ways to either improve the weak points of their game or hide them while accentuating the strong points of their game. I could see Dumba being a good compliment to Sekera, but the thought of him without Sekera seems a bit cringe-worthy as I think he needs some sheltering/hand-holding. Dumba is probably a good bet to be the better player for the next two seasons, after that though is anyones guess and would likely be dependent on how they develop on their new teams.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Brent Seabrook is also a top four defenseman with a ridiculous resume. He's the exact type of veteran our team could've used pre-McDavid.

What are the Canucks doing holding on to Chris Tanev?

Look at the Canucks future payroll. It's barren. Seabrook would be a coup for them.

So a team hoping to get younger should dump Tanev (a guy still in his 20s) for a 32 year old with 7 more years left on his deal?

Let them have their "coup", lol. Don't come crying next year though when you're picking no.5/6 again though Vancouver.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
So a team hoping to get younger should dump Tanev (a guy still in his 20s) for a 32 year old with 7 more years left on his deal?

Let them have their "coup", lol. Don't come crying next year though when you're picking no.5/6 again though Vancouver.

Further to this, Tanev is also a better than Seabrook today.

Acquiring him makes zero sense for a team who only, finally acknowledged the need to rebuild like 3 months ago.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
From what I read it sounded like he was very likely to be going back to Washington and I somewhat suspect the main reason he hasn't been re-signed already is the expansion draft.
---------------------------------------------------------

I've been thinking for a while whether or not Minny would do Dumba for Nurse, I know the Minny board would absolutely hate it, but in the real world I think it has a chance of happening. Boudreau did speak about how he thought it was important to add a more physical element to their backend and wanted a stronger net front clearing presence, Nurse would certainly fit the bill and he is more importantly expansion draft exempt which really helps them. Doing that would skew us to trading Eberle for nothing but futures, but we can possibly rectify that through free agency or supplementing our team by trading off other futures after the expansion draft.

Dumba as a player I've generally not been a huge fan of, he just makes too many stupid decisions, but I will recognize he has more offensive upside than Nurse and being fully honest Nurse himself certainly isn't above making stupid decisions, though I have a greater level of belief that Nurse will work that out of his game. Dumba's shot is something I don't think Nurse can replicate and I will say I wasn't a fan of Justin Schultz when he left, nor was I fan of Leddy when he got traded to NYI, but both found fits with new teams and found ways to either improve the weak points of their game or hide them while accentuating the strong points of their game. I could see Dumba being a good compliment to Sekera, but the thought of him without Sekera seems a bit cringe-worthy as I think he needs some sheltering/hand-holding. Dumba is probably a good bet to be the better player for the next two seasons, after that though is anyones guess and would likely be dependent on how they develop on their new teams.

It doesn't make sense for us because effectively we lose one of Maroon/Eberle/RNH to Vegas on top of Nurse, which Dumba doesn't cover.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Flat cap is good for us. McDavid/Draisaitl agents would ask for more if the cap was $77 mill next year.

Especially for Leon his agent can't use the "well we should be paid more than Gaudreau because the cap is higher this year" card.

It just is a sobering reality for those who thought we can spend willy/nilly and/or keep everyone for endless second/third chances to show they don't suck. But I already knew that reality was coming anyway.

A flat cap is probably not a good thing. It is unlikely that this would save the Oilers more than $4M on these two contracts so in the end they end up with less room. But it is worse for several other teams including some that the Oilers are in clear completion with.

The teams that win with a flat cap are teams like Vegas, Carolina and even Toronto.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
1.3M is about 1.8% of the cap. Most teams have more dead cap than that in any given year.

The Oilers cap situation in general is grossly exaggerated, but it's really only at it's worst in 2018 with two 3 different 6M contracts still on the books under a player who is getting an 8+ million dollar raise. After that, the contracts are layered. Decisions will need to be made but there's always going to be space to make them. There's no Chicago style exodus necessary, unless something massive changes.

Going into next season I think everybody here is hoping something massive changes. Playoff success costs a lot of money. Remember what we paid Fernando for his godly 25 game stretch?

I'm not suggesting anything similar to Chicago's purge but we're looking at $50m spent with Kassian and Draisaitl signed to modest cap numbers. There's a lot of guys to sign after that and having dead cap on the roster doesn't do anything for anyone.

I don't see a buy out happening.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter

Neither of those guys won the Art Ross (and probably Hart) trophy in their sophomore season either. I'm expecting he and his agent are looking somewhere in the 12 million per year range for 8 years.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Neither of those guys won the Art Ross (and probably Hart) trophy in their sophomore season either. I'm expecting he and his agent are looking somewhere in the 12 million per year range for 8 years.

We have scant info on where negotiations are, but the very little we've heard is more like 10 million/5 years.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Out: Tanev
In: Seabrook and the return for Tanev...you might even get assets for taking Seabrook.

Vs

Out: Nothing
In: Nothing

You don't get better by standing still.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Out: Tanev
In: Seabrook and the return for Tanev...you might even get assets for taking Seabrook.

Vs

Out: Nothing
In: Nothing

You don't get better by standing still.

You don't rebuild by acquiring 32 year old defenseman on the decline with 7 years left at 7M per.

Seabrooks contract is one of the most toxic grenades of a contract in the NHL and you want them to downgrade from a prime-aged Tanev to pick it up. What possible asset could they get to make that worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->