Rumor: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Draft day edition: Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Because it's all negativity all the time. And on cue...

All you could reasonably expect to see is positive steps in the right direction. Which the Oilers have seen since the OBC was cleared out.

If you refuse to see something then it will of course be all negative. Benning was a great signing. Drai came around under the new regime.

It's as if Keith fully expects everyone to regress on the Oilers every off season and the every Flames move to put them over the top...

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Sam Bennett's QO isn't that high, rookie ELC bonuses aren't included in determining QO.

OK. That leaves $14 m for 6 bodies. Flames still gotta go cheap the rest of the way.

My basic point still stands.

It's as if Keith fully expects everyone to regress on the Oilers every off season and the every Flames move to put them over the top...

It's just painful when these threads get highjacked with never ending negativity. But he's a fan like all of us and we need to treat him with respect. Never mind the lack of respect for ruining the thread for any attempt at reasonable discussion. You can't really block people that dominate threads because it makes the thread really difficult to follow

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oilers depth blows the Flames away I doubt Flames make playoffs even with a full roster. I see Jets overtaking them

No it doesn't. The Flames as of right now have a much better defense than we do.

Never mind that our winger depth is actually worse than Calgary's as well.

Just imagine a Nurse/Benning second pairing should any of Klef/Lars/Russell go down.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
How did Calgary get better?

Hamonic = Stone
Smith =< Elliot

While Oilers got worse how?

Russell = Russell
Eberle =< Strome

I don't see what we did to make us 'worse' and Calgary 'better'?

Because hate on eberle all you want he is better than strome and Hamonic is better than Stone

And it's just frustrating because

Hamonic > Russell

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Chicago drafted Parker Foo. I wonder if this has an effect on his brother's decision.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
No it doesn't. The Flames as of right now have a much better defense than we do.

Just imagine a Nurse/Benning second pairing should any of Klef/Lars/Russell go down.

You know what? Coming into last season, everyone said the same thing about the Flames and how did that turn out?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

I definitely expect Maroon to regress. I don't think everyone on the Oilers regresses but they benefited from being healthy the entire season. The Oilers defensive depth is questionable right now and if any of the top 3 go down before Sekera gets back (or hell, even after), the Oilers are in trouble.

Why is depth on the back end suddenly a bad thing?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Really? Their defence was crap against us the whole year last year. I'm not worried one bit. They haven't improved it. Just added Hamonic who is = to Stone. Who cares? McDavid will still make them look like swiss cheese. We'll get our depth this free agency. I bet you he will surprise a lot of you.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
Because hate on eberle all you want he is better than strome and Hamonic is better than Stone

Hamonic > Russell

For the cost of assets Hamonic needs to be >>> Russell for it to make any sense.

Not sure why people are having a hard time getting that.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Overall team depth is still not great at the moment but I'll wait until after FA to lose my mind.

Not adding at least 1 D to slide into Sekera's spot would be a bad decision. Also the winger depth and 3c needs to be addressed.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
In no way in the world is Strome better or equal to Eberle, it's a clear downgrade.

Also if we're using HERO Charts, tell me who is the better option

Calgary gets a proven commodity for a mystery box

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Really? Their defence was crap against us the whole year last year. I'm not worried one bit. They haven't improved it. Just added Hamonic who is = to Stone. Who cares? McDavid will still make them look like swiss cheese. We'll get our depth this free agency. I bet you he will surprise a lot of you.

Yeah last year everyone anointed them the best D in the league or close to it and we eviscerated them

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You know what? Coming into last season, everyone said the same thing about the Flames and how did that turn out?

Talbot > Elliott. Having a good goalie does cover up some of those mistakes.

Elliott was crap against us.

And if Hamonic = Stone, what does that make Russell?

There's no room to sign anything more than a #7 on the back end and I sure hope Chia plans to fix the wings.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Yeah, I don't think the Flames D will end up being better than the Oilers. When Sekera returns I think the Oilers D is better still.

It's all just an excuse to rail against the Oilers for some unknown reason.

ya, no.

Eberle>>>>Strome.

Agreed but probably a few too many greater than signs. Eberle < Strome + 3.5 m in cap space.

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015
In no way in the world is Strome better or equal to Eberle, it's a clear downgrade.

Also if we're using HERO Charts, tell me who is the better option

Calgary gets a proven commodity for a mystery box

Can you do that hero chart thingy for just last season??

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017

~~removing so page isn't super long~~~

Now HERO chart won't matter since it makes Russell look bad.

Also, LMAO how is STrome = or better than Eberle?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Talbot > Elliott. Having a good goalie does cover up some of those mistakes.

Elliott was crap against us.

And if Hamonic = Stone, what does that make Russell?

There's no room to sign anything more than a #7 on the back end and I sure hope Chia plans to fix the wings.

Williams, Franson, an AHL scoring center and maybe a backup.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
ya, no.

Eberle>>>>Strome.

Ever heard of potential? He has boatloads of it compared to what Eberle had. Plus he has better tools IMO than Eberle. With a change of scenery, he'll be a much better player. I have faith in him.

Hamonic > Russell

I don't hate on Eberle. However, he left some much desire from me after the playoffs. I kept saying "Show me you can perform like you did in juniors" and he just let me down everytime. I like him as a person, but he just needs a change. Strome however fits in well with this core. I bet you he get's 20-25 goals with 50-60 points. He'll be a totally different player.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
The Oilers are only marginally better on opening night (if that even based on Hamonic's play last year) if it's:

In: Hamonic + what 200K salary difference
Out: Russell, 1st round pick, and two 2nd round picks

The Oilers are for certain worse off either at the trade deadline when those picks could be used to load up for a run or in June when they are sitting on their hands during the draft unable to do anything.

Flames took a huge risk with this deal, I'm glad the Oilers didn't.

Pretty much.

You might prefer Hamonic to Russell, but it's not Chia's style to trade an entire draft's significant picks for a marginal upgrade. It's much more his style, as we've seen, to get the free player (UFA) and then add assets through college signings and/or make a trade.

I think there is a very good chance we sign Spencer Foo (our roster appears to have an opening on RW) before July 1, then Chia will go ahead and sign another forward and possibly a defenseman.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Can you do that hero chart thingy for just last season??

You can't because:
1. The bigger the sample size, the more accurate it is
2. You actually can't do it in the tool
3. If we did just last year Russell would be in a worse spot and it wouldn't help your point anyway

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Yeah, I don't think the Flames D will end up being better than the Oilers. When Sekera returns I think the Oilers D is better still.

It's all just an excuse to rail against the Oilers for some unknown reason.

Agreed but probably a few too many greater than signs. Eberle < Strome + 3.5 m in cap space.

I was being generous to Strome with the > signs used.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ever heard of potential? He has boatloads of it compared to what Eberle had. Plus he has better tools IMO than Eberle. With a change of scenery, he'll be a much better player. I have faith in him.

I don't hate on Eberle. However, he left some much desire from me after the playoffs. I kept saying "Show me you can perform like you did in juniors" and he just let me down everytime. I like him as a person, but he just needs a change. Strome however fits in well with this core. I bet you he get's 20-25 goals with 50-60 points. He'll be a totally different player.

Potential means zippo when a team should be trying to contend this season. We've taken on many projects over the past few years and Maroon is probably the only one that's panned out and that's... well, because he plays next to McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad