Rumor: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Draft day edition: Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I still would personally like another NHL Dman to join our team.

One will, of course. But we're not going to spend unnecessary assets to get one. We need to upgrade on Eric Gryba. Cody Franson would do.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
This makes me sick to my stomach. I can't believe this ********. This has been the worst off season we've had in a while.

How do you screw this up?
Hamonic could of been an oiler had chiarelli not been an idiot

You know it takes 2 GM to make a trade . If Snow see Calgary and their picks as better how does that make Chia an idiot . People who throw around that word needs to take a long look in the mirror .

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Flames can easily miss playoffs next season and if they lose a Monohan or Gaudreau to big injuries could be a bottom 5 team. They have gross depth a horrible 6-12 forward crop. A goalie who has a good year followed by a brutal year career , good luck Flames

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
One will, of course. But we're not going to spend unnecessary assets to get one. We need to upgrade on Eric Gryba. Cody Franson would do.

I wouldn't mind Franson. Just can't go into next season with our current defense.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I didn't know Calgary was in a win now mode. Well for all the futures they've been giving away.. they better pray they start winning now.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Flames can easily miss playoffs next season and if they lose a Monohan or Gaudreau to big injuries could be a bottom 5 team. They have gross depth a horrible 6-12 forward crop. A goalie who has a good year followed by a brutal year career , good luck Flames

I think same can be said if we lost McD or Talbot in my opinion

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yep, that's my major concern, since Sekera's gonna be out for a few months into the season.

And he won't be hitting the ground running either, especially if he gets rushed back. The Oilers need depth on defense unless you wanna see more of Eric Gryba.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
This makes me sick to my stomach. I can't believe this ********. This has been the worst off season we've had in a while.

How do you screw this up? Hamonic could of been an oiler had chiarelli not been an idiot.

The Oilers are only marginally better on opening night (if that even based on Hamonic's play last year) if it's:

In: Hamonic + what 200K salary difference
Out: Russell, 1st round pick, and two 2nd round picks

The Oilers are for certain worse off either at the trade deadline when those picks could be used to load up for a run or in June when they are sitting on their hands during the draft unable to do anything.

Flames took a huge risk with this deal, I'm glad the Oilers didn't.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Klef/McDavid/Talbot. One of those goes down for a significant period of time and the Oilers will join them.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
This precisely. Defensive depth is never a bad thing. The Oilers are one significant injury on D away from disaster.

Have you looked at our wings lately? We're not exactly deep up front either.

Yup. Better start crying and calling for Chia's head since the season starts tomorrow...oh wait. It's June 24! I forgot about FREE AGENCY! Chill. He has lots of time to fill the roster. His biggest goal is to sign McDavid and Draisaitl then he will fill the rest of it. I have faith in him. Just relax.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
And he won't be hitting the ground running either, especially if he gets rushed back. The Oilers need depth on defense unless you wanna see more of Eric Gryba.

Although I like Gryba and his physicality, I'd rather seek other potential options first before even re-signing him.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
The defensive depth problem isn't an issue until July 1st passes without addressing it.

Need at least one player for sure though.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
shoop said:
Really risky. The Flames have ~ $15 m in cap space. They need to sign four forwards, two defencemen and a backup goalie. Sam Bennett's QO is $3.2 m. That leaves $12 m for 6 bodies. Gotta go cheap the rest of the way...
Sam Bennett's QO isn't that high, rookie ELC bonuses aren't included in determining QO.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yup. Better start crying and calling for Chia's head since the season starts tomorrow...oh wait. It's June 24! I forgot about FREE AGENCY! Chill. He has lots of time to fill the roster. His biggest goal is to sign McDavid and Draisaitl then he will fill the rest of it. I have faith in him. Just relax.

I'm not calling for his head but I'm wondering what his plan is when the teams around him are trading to get better and we've only gotten worse.

We can pretty much guarantee the only adds on the back end will be a Gryba-like acquisition (if not Gryba himself) and maybe a winger or two up front.

Like if picks is all it took to get Hamonic why aren't we on that? The Oilers should be drafting pretty damn low next year so it's not a huge risk.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I didn't know Calgary was in a win now mode. Well for all the futures they've been giving away.. they better pray they start winning now.

The more I think about the trade the more it makes sense to me. The Keystone of the Flames defense is Giordano and he is turning 34 before the start of the season.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Because you are past tense. Things have been different since his hiring. Why can't you accept that?

Because it's all negativity all the time. And on cue...

I'll believe it when I see it. The Oilers need to take another major step forward this year and right now they're not in a position to do so with the defense they currently have.

All you could reasonably expect to see is positive steps in the right direction. Which the Oilers have seen since the OBC was cleared out.

If you refuse to see something then it will of course be all negative. Benning was a great signing. Drai came around under the new regime.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That would be true for any club to lose their top players

The Pens could (and have) survived a Crosby injury.

The Oilers lack defensive depth especially with one defenseman already gone for who knows how long. I pray to the hockey gods that Larsson/Klefbom have another healthy year or it could get ugly really quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad