Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteLight*

I firmly believe Semin is banking on a long-term deal and is playing a much more complete game to sell himself this season. You really think Semin is worth something comparable to Corey Perry? I sure don't. I also don't believe Murray would responsibly have all this cap space built up to blow it all on an $8 mill/yr long-term deal on Semin...

This. Syomin saw the lack of good (or any?) long term deals offered last summer... Because of inconsistent play and not being a good teammate. He's done a complete 180 this season and been a very good two-way player. I suspect this is an attempt to cash in on a big long term deal. After that he'll revert to his old ways in Washington. Lazy, bad defensively, under achieving offensively and possibly a bad teammate.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This. Syomin saw the lack of good (or any?) long term deals offered last summer... Because of inconsistent play and not being a good teammate. He's done a complete 180 this season and been a very good two-way player. I suspect this is an attempt to cash in on a big long term deal. After that he'll revert to his old ways in Washington. Lazy, bad defensively, under achieving offensively and possibly a bad teammate.

Meh...my comment was a bit uncalled for. This is still a ridiculous statement and has never been true.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I firmly believe Semin is banking on a long-term deal and is playing a much more complete game to sell himself this season. You really think Semin is worth something comparable to Corey Perry? I sure don't. I also don't believe Murray would responsibly have all this cap space built up to blow it all on an $8 mill/yr long-term deal on Semin...

Michalek had 35 goals with Spezza, Semin would maybe hit 40. Is that worth all this money for a player who may not show up every night? It's the Russian factor - I'm hesitant.

I respect your opinion though. I can tell you are a big Semin fan.

Career numbers for Corey Perry: 0.38 gpg, 0.81 ppg, +51.
Career numbers for Alexander Semin: 0.41 gpg, 0.87 ppg, +75

They are separated by 1 year. Semin is better offensively and defensively and never had the benefit of playing with a centre of Getzlaf's calibre while always being the scapegoat for Ovechkin in Washington (he has had brief stints with Backstrom). He also didn't get as much ice-time throughout his career. Semin is one of the best players in the league this year (and really always had the talent to be). Semin could probably hit 50 goals with Spezza, and also increase the number of goals Spezza scores because he's also a phenomenal playmaker.

Anyway, I went through all this in the off-season already. Semin has better numbers comparably to Nash and Parise too...but there will always be Russian bias and media sensationalism.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Anyway, I went through all this in the off-season already. Semin has better numbers comparably to Nash and Parise too...but there will always be Russian bias and media sensationalism.

This is just a ridiculously over simplification of the issue from an outsider. It's easy to chalk it up to "russian bias" when you're not accountable for any risk that you take in signing him. I'd trust the judgement of GMs and coaches when it comes to knowing what Semin brings to the table, risks included. He got $7M, so they obviously know how good he can be.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Timmonen is what, 38? I imagine there looking to do some succesion planing on that one.

What do they have in the system (I honestly don't know and am too lazy to use google, can somebody lmgtfy)?

They have almost nobody in the system, at forward or defence. Or goalie. Flyers farm team is worse than ours was at the end of Muckler's depth-depleting reign of terror.

Worst prospect depth in the league, AINEC.

While there are a few prospect pools in the league that are arguably worse, basically this.

The Flyers top three prospects are:

- S. Laughton (C, OHL, 2012 1st round pick, projects to 3C)
- S. Gostisbehere (NCAA, LH-OFD, 2012 3rd round pick; small, mobile, offensively-gifted defenseman with major questions about his defensive game and his ability to handle the size of the NHL (ceiling is probably a #4-5 PP-QB type unless he takes a major step forward, but that's hardly a safe projection)
- A. Stolarz (G, OHL-London, big, project goalie who moved from NCAA to London earlier this year; 2012 2nd round-pick. Who knows, but even if he turns into something, it is 4-5 years off).

There are a few other depth guys and some bottom-six forward types, but nothing in the pipe defensively. We've got no one in the system who reasonably projects to a top-4 NHL defenseman.

On the other hand, the Flyers have an extremely NHL core in Giroux (25), B. Schenn (21), S. Couturier (20), J. Voracek (23), W. Simmonds (24), L. Schenn (23), so the poverty of the prospect system is not the immediate concern it might be for some other teams.

It is a good year to be bad in terms of the draft, so hopefully we'll have a few good prospects to add to that list come late June.

Regardless, glad to see the Senators doing well. I was really impressed with some of your young guys when they were down in Philadelphia in early March.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
It'll probably help to sign gonchar first for semin to sign in ottawa cuz you know theyre both russians and gonchar is known to have helped malkin a lot in pittsburgh, maybe semin might want some of that

OperationHotMother

Dec 22, 2006
Havlat is the reason I became a sens fan in the first place so I'd love to have him back, but only if he came (practically) free. Not worth giving up meaningful assets for a guy who might not even play half the season.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Anyone want Havlat back? Not a rental and would help us on our way to reach the cap floor next season.

we're already paying michalek 6M next year.

can murray really justify spending 11M on two injury-prone wingers next year to melnyk?

I really wish minnesota had given havlat one of those back-diving contracts, where he would have made ridiculous money in the first few years and been down to ~2M or 1M next year. Then he would be a very attractive target for the sens. At 11M in salary over the next 2 years, he's just too much of a gamble.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yesterday, TSN was talking about Ottawa bringing in Jagr. Any appetite for that?

It completely depends on the medical reports on Spezza and Michalek. If the docs have any doubt that they may not be back for round 1 then that's a big no.

Would love to have a 68 Sens jersey though. :nod:

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Jagr would be awesome but you just know any deal with Dallas they'll be pushing hard for Noeson. Definitely not willing to go down that road.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Yesterday, TSN was talking about Ottawa bringing in Jagr. Any appetite for that?

An old vet like Jagr probably isn't the smartest idea, but I absolutely love Jagr, so it'd be hard for me to be upset if we got him.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Jagr would be awesome but you just know any deal with Dallas they'll be pushing hard for Noeson. Definitely not willing to go down that road.

Good point in Noesen. They would love him. Honestly, if Spezza and Milo will be back with Andy, I'd be willing to pull the trigger on something like Noesen and Boro for Jagr and Roy.

TheOriginalSilf*

Good point in Noesen. They would love him. Honestly, if Spezza and Milo will be back with Andy, I'd be willing to pull the trigger on something like Noesen and Boro for Jagr and Roy.

Yeah. Dallas laughs in our face and spits on our shoes if we offer that.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Niewendyk is a pretty big idiot. I suspect he is super high on one of our bottom 6ers or prospects for no good reason, and he'll make a bad move to get that player while not considering value. Sorta similar to how Murray deals except Murray actually knows what he's doing.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas

Michalek had 35 goals with Spezza, Semin would maybe hit 40. Is that worth all this money for a player who may not show up every night? It's the Russian factor - I'm hesitant.

I respect your opinion though. I can tell you are a big Semin fan.

I shouldve had a disclaimer on my post haha. I don't believe Semin was as bad as he was perceived in Washington, but I also don't believe he is as good as hes perceived in Carolina. Like most things, I think hes somewhere in the middle. I do think hes put on somewhat of an act to get paid (who wouldn't) but hes not a cancer.

Hes not worth Perry money, you're right. Perry isn't worth Perry money haha. He is getting like 8.75 average right? Semin isn't worth 8.25 (Getzlaf isn't either) but like I said, the bar has been set by stupid GM's, so thats what you gotta pay.

I may be incorrect here, but during Washington's prime, Semin didnt play regularly with Backstrom and Ovy. That means he scored 30+ every year, and even 40 once on the second line with a much lesser center. I don't like throwing out projections, but I think Semin would be a lock for 35+ yearly.

And to this: "I respect your opinion though. I can tell you are a big Semin fan." I cant tell if you intended that haha but it made me lol :sarcasm:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Did I miss something?

I thought the Sens were in Senatroll(retool) mode not waste valuable assets on rentals or 35-or-older-players mode.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah...Semin is just 'acting' like a top player in the league. Not actually being one. =3

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Gryba is way over his head playing against top opposition given how terrible he is at getting the puck out of the zone

Again, Gryba isn't great or awful at getting the puck out of the D zone, he's adequate, and he's certainly not the worst on the team at it. I don't really see why people make this claim when it's not really the case at all..

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Briere really seems like a possibility if Philly does look to move him or buy him out.

6.5M cap hit but he's due 3M next season and 2M in 14-15. We have oodles of cap space and are seemingly on a budget, Briere might even help us get to the cap floor next season if Gonchar does leave.

He's 35 and has at least one more good year in him. Clutch playoff performer and a finisher that we need. Plays C/W and of course is a local.

If you look at it like we're really acquiring a guy who makes 2.5M a year, and should produce at about a 60 point 30 goal pace, its a good fit and shouldn't cost a king's ransom.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Briere really seems like a possibility if Philly does look to move him or buy him out.

6.5M cap hit but he's due 3M next season and 2M in 14-15. We have oodles of cap space and are seemingly on a budget, Briere might even help us get to the cap floor next season if Gonchar does leave.

He's 35 and has at least one more good year in him. Clutch playoff performer and a finisher that we need. Plays C/W and of course is a local.

If you look at it like we're really acquiring a guy who makes 2.5M a year, and should produce at about a 60 point 30 goal pace, its a good fit and shouldn't cost a king's ransom.

It's almost all up to him though

The only way I see him getting traded to us is if he is told there are going to amnesty his contract and accepts to getting traded

I don't think he's waiving his NTC (it isn't an NMC I believe) otherwise I'd think

I had an acquaintance who claimed to have gone to school with him and he always said he was very low key: I really don't think he wants to play in Canada to be quite frank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad