Rumor: Trade Rumour Thread II: TraDe for Every111!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yes, I do.

And this isn't me attacking Kreider. This is me see O'Reilly as a future 65 point, dominating 2-way center.

If you move Kreider for O'Reilly, center is set for a long time. The Rangers have young players + Nash/Callahan/Hagelin/Gaborik?/UFA's who can play and fill in on the wing.

Just my opionion but a center ice group of Richards, O'Reilly, Stepan, ______ is one of the best in the league. And Stepan and O'Reilly would be the future at 22 years old.

No thanks.
Kreider has potential to = a sniper + is already physically gifted.

Stepan has other merits, but it's a no brainer.

Stepan + the right + for ROR is ok.
Kreider is not for sale unless an elite is involved.

And we need to do a sign and trade on ROR with Avs help if we pursue him. We can't overspend on a pending UFA rental, and I thought somewhere here he was looking for closer to 5 or 5+ mil per on a multi.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
What's with the ROR lovefest? He's worth nowhere near what he's demanding from the Avs (if the reports are correct).

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers have checked in on Ryan O’Reilly, but are very unlikely to pursue a deal for Colorado’s unsigned restricted free-agent center, The Post has learned.

It is not the yet undetermined cost in assets that the Blueshirts — whose three-game winning streak ended with Thursday night’s 4-3 shootout loss to the Islanders at the Garden — would have to send to the Avalanche in order to acquire the 22-year-old pivot, but rather O’Reilly’s asking price for a contract that is discouraging a pursuit by general manager Glen Sather.

O’Reilly, who recorded 55 points (18 goals, 37 assists) a year ago in the third and final season of his Entry Level contract, has rejected Colorado’s two-year offer of $3.5 million per that the Rangers would be hard pressed to improve upon, let alone match, given the team’s looming cap crunch for next season. O’Reilly also has rejected offers of up to five years with a slightly lower annual average salary.

The Rangers made it a policy, beginning in 2008-09 with Ryan Callahan and Brandon Dubinsky and continuing this year with Michael Del Zotto, to sign restricted free agents lacking salary arbitration rights to two-year “bridge†deals.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rang...1TAc2N?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Rangers

Callahan was arb eligible in 2009 but he signed a 2 year deal. He didn't have the stats for a big second contract.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rang...1TAc2N?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Rangers

Callahan was arb eligible in 2009 but he signed a 2 year deal. He didn't have the stats for a big second contract.

Interesting that ROR denied $3.5 per year for 2 years. Article even suggests he denied a 5 year contract for a little bit less. What does he think he is worth after only 1 breakout season? The guy registered 55 points and hasn't even cracked 20 goals yet. Sounds to me like he wants to cash in ASAP knowing he may very well never repeat the season he had last year. Buyer beware here, this seems like the Dubinsky situation all over again.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Ryan McDonagh is one of the 10 best defenseman in the game right now.

Arguably one of the 5 best.

It's amazing how few people notice it. The "problem" is that we have 3 guys who are all all-stars on the back end, and if MDZ can ever get his crap together, you have 4 guys really.

we're pretty blessed on the blueline.

Are we talking defense only or as overall?

If we are talking both D and O, there is no way he's in top-5. I'd take Suter, Weber, Karlsson, Enstrom and Doughty over McD. There's also guys like Letang, Pietrangelo, Yandle, Edler.

I love McD but he is not in top-5. Not yet.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Are we talking defense only or as overall?

If we are talking both D and O, there is no way he's in top-5. I'd take Suter, Weber, Karlsson, Enstrom and Doughty over McD. There's also guys like Letang, Pietrangelo, Yandle, Edler.

I love McD but he is not in top-5. Not yet.

Overall I agree. Defensively he is a top 5 defender already. I would think. Guy has come a long way fast

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Like I said yesterday - if he wants more than 3,3 M in a 2 year bridge contract, forget it. Imagine Stepan or MDZ would be going the other way if it would become reality.
The $3,3 M is even a bit high IMO considering our RFAs next year.

This^. As RangerBoy said the big contract number is the main stumbling block we can't ignore.

And again, it's not a matter of hate, it's just the facts: we couldn't give up MDZ here; we replace an F with an F, it would have to be Stepan.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Not unless they sent a hefty amount of salary back. They have a ton of guys to re-sign next year. Plus, the NMC in Richards deal would be a big obstacle.

Maybe I am a bit gun-shy from being burned by Drury, Gomez and Redden but Richards has looked exactly how they all did (minus Redden who was god-awful) in their 2nd years. Just a step slow, lethargic, not a difference-maker.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brad Richards won't waive his NMC. The Rangers are better off amnestying Richards in June 2014. Nice and clean. They owe him 2/3 of whatever money is left and everyone moves on. The new CBA hurts the Rangers ability to keep him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Brad Richards won't waive his NMC. The Rangers are better off amnestying Richards in June 2014. Nice and clean. They owe him 2/3 of whatever money is left and everyone moves on. The new CBA hurts the Rangers ability to keep him.

With the amount of money Richards has already been paid, would a team not planning on being at the cap limit be more interested in the remainder of his contract? Maybe a team like Nashville who has been looking for any sort of offensive boost for years? Would BR waive his NMC?

After this season he makes:

9 million
8.5 million
8.5 million
7 million
1 million
1 million
1 million

He makes 12 million this year.

That would mean he would have an internal cap hit of 5.14 million over the next 7 years. A lot more reasonable than the close to 7 he signed to begin with.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Personally I'm holding out hope he turns it around. But if he still looks like this at this time next year I don't know how you risk carrying that contract long term.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Maybe I am a bit gun-shy from being burned by Drury, Gomez and Redden but Richards has looked exactly how they all did (minus Redden who was god-awful) in their 2nd years. Just a step slow, lethargic, not a difference-maker.

With Drury and Gomez, we overpaid for guys who weren't elite players. With Richards, it's a little more concerning because he was an elite player before he arrived here. He looked very good to finish out the regular season last year, but this year he looks old and even slower than before. What's worse is that his creativity and vision seem to have disappeared.

It just shows that you can't really predict how quickly players will deteriorate. I think it's a bit premature to say that we ought to buy him out this summer, but it's alarming that we're even having this conversation about the guy.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
With Drury and Gomez, we overpaid for guys who weren't elite players. With Richards, it's a little more concerning because he was an elite player before he arrived here. He looked very good to finish out the regular season last year, but this year he looks old and even slower than before. What's worse is that his creativity and vision seem to have disappeared.

It just shows that you can't really predict how quickly players will deteriorate. I think it's a bit premature to say that we ought to buy him out this summer, but it's alarming that we're even having this conversation about the guy.

I agree. Not saying they will move him, I hope he turns it around, but if he doesn't I wonder what the options will be.....

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

With the amount of money Richards has already been paid, would a team not planning on being at the cap limit be more interested in the remainder of his contract? Maybe a team like Nashville who has been looking for any sort of offensive boost for years? Would BR waive his NMC?

After this season he makes:

9 million
8.5 million
8.5 million
7 million
1 million
1 million
1 million

He makes 12 million this year.

That would mean he would have an internal cap hit of 5.14 million over the next 7 years. A lot more reasonable than the close to 7 he signed to begin with.

After next year (2013/2014) he would have 6 years remaining:

• 8.5 million
  • 8.5 million
  • 7 million
  • 1 million
  • 1 million
  • 1 million

Cap hit - $6,667 M
Actual salary - $27 M ($4,5 M per)
Couldn´t the Rangers also retain part of the salary and then deal him to a cap floor team wanting cap space but not wanting to pay $$? If he waves his NMC? It is maybe too much of a hassle

An amnesty buyout like RB said would mean $18 M paid out over 2 years and no cap hit. Probably the best for all parties if he does not get his game back and continues to deteriorate. We will see. Lots can happen until then...
Might be the bullet Dolan has to bite?

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

No thanks.
Kreider has potential to = a sniper + is already physically gifted.

Stepan has other merits, but it's a no brainer.

Stepan + the right + for ROR is ok.
Kreider is not for sale unless an elite is involved.

And we need to do a sign and trade on ROR with Avs help if we pursue him. We can't overspend on a pending UFA rental, and I thought somewhere here he was looking for closer to 5 or 5+ mil per on a multi.

Stepan's more valuable than Kreider.

No team in the league is stupid enough to move an elite player based around Kreider +.

Financially we can't absorb an elite player for something based around Kreider+.

Anyone willing to pay ROR 5M+ should have their heads checked.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
What's in the CBA? The NHL proposed the signing and acquiring teams trading one of the long term contracts would still be on the hook if the player retired. The NHL decided it would only come into play if the player is traded in his CBA. If the player was traded before the previous CBA expired the team was not on the hook. Mike Richards and Jeff Carter signed long term deals during the 05 CBA and were traded before the CBA expired. The NHL had orginally proposed the cap hit returning to Philly if those players retired. Then the NHL dropped that and only contracts traded during this CBA would be subject to that. The MOU deals with the trade recapture. The PA agreed teams will be subject a cap hit if the player retires before SPC expired. The Richards deal was really a 6 year deal with the 3 dummy years dropping the AAV. The rules have changed. Richards would have made $33M over 3 years if the Rangers amnesty him after 13-14. The $18M buyout is paid out over twice the remaining term. 12 years. $1.5M per. The Rangers could trade Richards and if he retires then the Rangers will be penalized with the cap hit. Page 2 and 3 of the MOU.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The only way the NYR deal Richards is if they have a move lined up for a superior center iceman.

For example, Geno Malkin is a UFA after next year. Something absurd like that would have to happen.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Torts might not be the coach after 13-14 if the Rangers don't win in the next few seasons. Torts was the driving force behind the Ricahrds move. Larry Brooks has said more than once that Sather wasn't giving Richards 9 years if Torts wasn't here. The amnesty buyout allows the Rangers to clear the decks after 2014. Gaborik,Nash and Callahan don't work on the same team. All three play the same position. Gaby doesn't like the left side and Torts wants Callahan in a top 6 role. Gaby will be 32 at the end of his contract. Richards will be 34 in 2014. Trade Gaby this summer. Amnesty Richards in 2014.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Torts might not be the coach after 13-14 if the Rangers don't win in the next few seasons. Torts was the driving force behind the Ricahrds move. Larry Brooks has said more than once that Sather wasn't giving Richards 9 years if Torts wasn't here. The amnesty buyout allows the Rangers to clear the decks after 2014. Gaborik,Nash and Callahan don't work on the same team. All three play the same position. Gaby doesn't like the left side and Torts wants Callahan in a top 6 role. Gaby will be 32 at the end of his contract. Richards will be 34 in 2014. Trade Gaby this summer. Amnesty Richards in 2014.

That makes too much sense IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad