Speculation: Trade Rumors/Speculation Thread Part IV: Yak Yak Yak Yak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Stone isn't going anywhere. Young, cheap for a few more years and emerging as a pretty good player. Yotes loaded on defense. One guy they may be willing to sacrafice (for a Wayne Simmons type) is Brandon Gormely

David Rundblad in PHX just makse too much sense.

1. He can QB a PP (and he is a RD). He has more or less proven that in the NHL already. I've seen him play not only in the SHL and for the Swedish National team (probably 30+ games), but also full games in the NHL and the AHL.

Is he somewhat flawed defensively? Yes. But he can absolutely QB a PP in the NHL. He is a good hitter, but especially his agility makes him a bit vunerable defensively in the NHL.

From a month ago:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coy...d-finally-finds-his-place.html?nclick_check=1
Considering Rundblad’s only had brief stints with the Coyotes the past two seasons, that’s an encouraging sign for the 23-year-old.

“It’s taken him a couple seasons to adjust to the pace of the game and the strength of the game,” Maloney said. “I really thought he made a concerted effort over the summer to get stronger and with strength comes quickness and then confidence, too.”

The Coyotes envision Rundblad as a potential power-play quarterback, and he has played on the first unit alongside defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson this season. That skill set will undoubtedly, at some point, pull him back into the lineup.

“If we can’t find that skill up front, then let’s get that skill on our blue line,” Maloney said. “That’s one thing he has and I think the more that we see him evolve this year, we’ll see the skill that he has with the puck. He rivals (Mike) Ribeiro in a lot of ways.”

But it’ll take more than offensive talent to stick on the blue line. Defending has to be a top priority, and Rundblad is still maturing in that area.

“I don’t think the painting is finished yet,” Maloney said. “I think he’s evolving into that player that we hoped he could become.”

And he’s doing so at the NHL level. That’s given greater purpose to the trade, the wait and the off-season work.

“I feel more comfortable in everything,” Rundblad said. “It was worth it.”

2. He makes 0.75m in 14/15. That could be extremely valuble for us. After that, Slats can force him into a bridgecontract for another couple of years.

3. He could be had somewhat cheap I imagine not only because he is not quite there yet, but becuase PHX just got a great log-jam on defense. OEL and Yandle are the goto pieces on two D pairings. OEL gives you offense and Yandle is a true 2-way D. Then they have Michalek and Morris that works really well with those two and have for years. Two other kids in Stone and Gomerly. And Klesla. Schlemko is not a bad depth D.

4. We have the environment to bring him up in. Behind Strålman and Girardi 5 on 5. When McI is ready, Rundblad will compliment him really well on the right side. He would step right into the top PP unit in NY. He would really help BR with his work on the point on the PP (like Maloney descibes his connection with Riberio above).

Bottomline:
1. Move MDZ for a forward that PHX wants.

2. Move the forward for Rundblad and a 2nd round pick.

Staal-Strålman
McD-Giradi
J Moore-Rundblad

How much money are we saving on paying Rundblad .75m next season in relation to what MDZ will get? 3m? More? That really makes a diffrence for us. Then in Like Maloney is talking about, Rundblad is coming around. He is moving in the right direction. His PP-ability is noticeable, he is a good hitter, if he only can pin down the gap-controll etc (its not like he is horrible in this area), just how much potential does this kid have?

Last edited:

Noose18

Sep 17, 2010
Rauma
What do you guys think about of acquiring Tomas Fleischmann from FLA?
Similar kind of trade that CHI-FLA did, with Florida retaining some salary aswell.

I think that Fleischmann could be acquired somewhat cheaply from FLA, and that he would be a very good option to boost the top9 lw spot and also push Pouliot out of the top9 aswell.

What would it take or is this idea completely idiotic?:cry:

Dorado*

Similar kind of trade that CHI-FLA did, with Florida retaining some salary aswell.

I think that Fleischmann could be acquired somewhat cheaply from FLA, and that he would be a very good option to boost the top9 lw spot and also push Pouliot out of the top9 aswell.

What young talent are the Rangers giving up if we are comparing us as trading partners with Fla to The hawks ? They gave up some prospects that they were high on to sure up an already stacked finished product . The NYR are no where near being competitive with the elite teams of the NHL and very well would be better as sellers of vets and buyers of young talent .
New NHL , younger cheaper faster . While that template isn't working in Oil country the Blackhawks managed to take there top lottery picks and low second rounders and add in some good two way vets and succeed .

Dorado*

NYR would be best to sit low and wait let the season develop . Injuries are going to happen to one of the elite teams in the west that feel they have a good chance at the cup and sell UFAS as rentals for top prospects / picks . Heck they even have the option of signing the guy anyway .
At some point the rangers have to smarten up . While turning over the roster over and over again is a fail , bubble team one round to two rounds and out is as well .

Girardi
Callahan
MDZ AT THE deadline to contenders for # 1s and of either young NHL ready talent or roster players

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

I think it's worth looking at but they need to eat a good portion of the contract. Would mean giving up a descent prospect though

Noose18

Sep 17, 2010
Rauma
Well my initial thought was somewhere aound MDZ and Pyatt also as a capdump, with FLA retaining around 40-50% of Fleischmanns contract and also adding a pick/prospect.

And then go after Rundblad like Ola said with the pick/proscpect and Pouliot etc. added to Phoenix way.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Well my initial thought was somewhere aound MDZ and Pyatt also as a capdump, with FLA retaining around 40-50% of Fleischmanns contract and also adding a pick/prospect.

And then go after Rundblad like Ola said with the pick/proscpect and Pouliot etc. added to Phoenix way.

You're giving away Del Zotto for nothing. Florida is eating 50% of Versteeg's contract and they got back two marginal prospects.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers were scouting the Avs-Blues last night. Adrian Dater reported that. I saw that game. St.Louis beat the Avs in every way. The Avs D sucks. Johnson and Hedja are their only 2 NHL D. Sarich is a borderline NHL player at this point. The other guys are essentially AHL players. The young guys are in the AHL. The Blues won every physical battle. They won every fight. Even Roy wasn't saying much. The Avs don't really have much to trade. The Blues don't need much. Their D is solid even with Leopold injured. The Blues signed Colaiacovo. Bouwmeester,Jackman,Cole,Pietrangelo,Shattenkirk and Polak. 3 lefties and 3 righties. Steen-Backes-Oshie. Tarasenko-Berglund-Schwartz. Lapierre-Roy-Reeves. Morrow-Sobotka-Stewart.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers will get a better chance to evaluate the roster when Nash returns

The seeming best-case scenario for the Rangers, who are in Montreal on Saturday before the Kings come to the Garden the following night, would be for Nash to make his return on Tuesday, at home against the Bruins. The more likely target, however, is either next Thursday in Dallas or a week from Saturday, Nov. 23, in Nashville.

Presuming no issues arise in the interim with Nash or his teammates, coach Alain Vigneault, for the first time, will have the club’s top six forwards at his disposal upon The Big Easy’s return. Ryan Callahan was sidelined for the season-opener while Carl Hagelin missed all three games Nash dressed prior to Nash’s Oct. 8 concussion in San Jose.

Nash’s insertion into the lineup will have a trickle-down effect on the team’s combinations and eventually allow Vigneault to get into more of a four-line rotation than he has employed thus far. Nash will either skate with Hagelin and Brad Richards while Callahan shifts to the right with Chris Kreider and Derek Stepan, or Nash himself will play with Kreider and Stepan.

Vigneault was known in Vancouver for going 12-deep with his forwards as much as was practical. The coach last week said he intends to get into more of a four-line rotation once he has a full complement of athletes on the bench.

http://nypost.com/2013/11/15/nash-back-will-mean-rangers-top-6-intact/

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Why would a healthy Nash mean breaking up Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello? Brooks is nuts.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Vancouver offered more for Clowe

At the trade deadline, the Canucks were chasing Ryane Clowe. The New York Rangers ending up landing him even though, and this was reported at the time, the Canucks had offered the Sharks more.

With his NTC, Clowe had final say and chose NY for family reasons and probably also because he believed the Rangers were more likely to meet his demand as a pending UFA, which at the time was $34 million contract.

The Rangers got him for their second round pick in 2013 and Florida’s third, and a conditional pick that I think ended up being a 5th (don’t have time to look it up).

I always wondered what the Canucks offered which they thought was a better deal. Well, tonight I was told it was their first round draft pick, which does make sense (how else were you going to beat a package that was essentially two seconds?)

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/1...e-locals-feud-with-refs-and-booths-back-baby/

Clowe was the player every team wanted at the deadline. He wanted 8 years and $34M. $4.25M. Jersey gave him $4.85M for 5 years. $24,250,000. Insane. Clowe suffered another concussion this season. That's definitely at least 3 in the last 6-9 months. Could be 4.

Be careful of the rentals this season.

Rangers 2nd,FLA 3rd and a 5th in 2014 for Clowe. If the Rangers had won 2 rounds in 2013 or re-signed Clowe,the 5th would have been a 2nd.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
AV had Nash taking shifts with Kreider and Stepan during practice on Wednesday. Nash isn't playing on the third line.

Of course he isn't. But the obvious player to bump from the top 6 should be Callahan, not Zuccarello.

I've said it since pre-season, Hagelin and Zuccarello need to be in the top 6 on separate lines as they are two of the premier play driving players in the league. On the back end Strålman is.

Now Zuccarello didn't play well until his scratch, but battled his way up to the 1st line from the 4th after the scratch. These kind of skills shine through, their lines suddenly become the best even though their linemates are pretty poor.

Strålman started on the 3rd pairing, now he gets just as many 5v5 minutes as McDonagh, Girardi, and Staal.

Even if Zucc gets bumped initially, he should be back in the top 6 pretty soon. AV seems to figure these things out after a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kreider-Stepan-Nash turns out to be a worse line than Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello even though Nash is much, much better player than Zucc. But Nash isn't as good as Zucc at driving the play, the line will get less offensive zone time, and spend more time in their own end chasing the puck.

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello

The centers in the top 6 are interchangeable IMO, but the winger pairings should be set in stone.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Why would a healthy Nash mean breaking up Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello? Brooks is nuts.

Because Nash is way better than Zuccarello.

How often does this "spread the wealth through 3 lines" mentality actually work? If Zuccarello has to languish on the 3rd line and it means an even more potent first line, so be it.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Rundblad is going to be one of those soft defensemen that puts up points. I don't think winning teams would ice him outside of a depth role. Its a shame because his offensive prowess from the blueline and powerplay is fun to watch.

But he's about as tough as a Benoit Pouliot, and for a guy that plays a position where he needs to take a hit to make a play, David Rundblad will shy away. There's a reason why two teams moved him before giving him really long looks.

Always been guys like this in the game. Andy Delmore... Marc Andre Bergeron...

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
AV had Nash taking shifts with Kreider and Stepan during practice on Wednesday. Nash isn't playing on the third line.

Is it really ever a 3rd line if Nash is on it? I guess there could be if Boyle and Pyatt were his line-mates but Nash, Brassard with either Miller or Pouliot would be closer to a 2nd line in my opinion. Not like they would not get as much ice time as the other lines at least 5 on 5. No coach is not going to play Nash.

The special teams would give the players different ice time, situation being up or down a goal late, match-ups, but if the idea is to run 4 lines it seems like the better option would be 3 who all have players on them that as groups would generate offense.

If the other option is to make a 3rd line of Boyle/Pouliot, Brassard and Zucc, I think I'd much rather see them go with 3 two way lines. That is not really a checking line, not really a threat offensively, I guess I just don't see how it makes sense to break up what they have going right now where players like Zucc, Kreider, in fact pretty much all the players on the top 2 lines have been producing at nearly a point a game since Hagelin's return.

Staying on the trade subject, if anything I'd like to see them pick up a player who would facilitate more of a top 9 approach where any given night any of the top 3 lines could be considered the first line.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Because Nash is way better than Zuccarello.

How often does this "spread the wealth through 3 lines" mentality actually work? If Zuccarello has to languish on the 3rd line and it means an even more potent first line, so be it.

A better player replacing a worse player doesn't necessarily mean a better line. There's a thing called chemistry. If you want Nash in the top 6, why not replace him with Callahan?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Another thing, "spreading out the talent" doesn't work usually because you're hurting some lines in expense of other lines. In this case our top 2 lines have been clicking without Nash, what's it going to hurt to leave them be?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
A better player replacing a worse player doesn't necessarily mean a better line. There's a thing called chemistry. If you want Nash in the top 6, why not replace him with Callahan?

Fine, whatever.

I think, eventually, Nash needs to play with Stepan who he was much more productive with last season. Personally, I think Kreider-Stepan-Nash will be a tough line to stop, and I think Zuccarello's (while he has been playing well) importance to that line has been overrated a bit.

If you want to move Callahan to the 3rd line, you've got a 2nd line of Hagelin-Richards-Zuccarello. I worry about that line being pushed around on a daily basis. Also, Callahan is a better player than Zucc.

Fact of the matter is Zuccarello is the 3rd best right wing on this team when everyone is healthy -- and if you want to buy into a loose "chemistry" argument, chemistry is almost always fleeting.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Fine, whatever.

I think, eventually, Nash needs to play with Stepan who he was much more productive with last season. Personally, I think Kreider-Stepan-Nash will be a tough line to stop, and I think Zuccarello's (while he has been playing well) importance to that line has been overrated a bit.

If you want to move Callahan to the 3rd line, you've got a 2nd line of Hagelin-Richards-Zuccarello. I worry about that line being pushed around on a daily basis. Also, Callahan is a better player than Zucc.

Fact of the matter is Zuccarello is the 3rd best right wing on this team when everyone is healthy -- and if you want to buy into a loose "chemistry" argument, chemistry is almost always fleeting.

Callahan is a good defensive player and a great PP player, 5 on 5 he's meh. I feel like Zucc's creativity really helps his line. Zucc is a catalyst. Callahan not as much. Though he's played well 5 on 5 this year, I don't think his skill set is something his line would be missing if he were taking off the line.

Edit: I also feel like you're not giving Zucc the credit he deserves. If you didn't have preconceived notions about him I don't think you'd be saying that his contribution has been overrated. If anything Stepan has been the weakest player on that line.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Fine, whatever.

Thing is, it wasn't as much Nash-Stepan that was clicking as it was Hagelin-Nash. When the line was X-Stepan-Nash it didn't do much.

And while I can buy the argument that Callahan is a better overall player than Zucc (I don't agree with it, but I acknowledge that it exists and is legitimate), I don't think he is a better 5v5 player. Especially in an offensive role.

Callahan is an anchor when it comes to keeping offensive momentum 5v5, so I don't want him on a scoring line if we have better options. Keep him on the third line and on the #1 PP and PK units where he is at his most effective.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
We haven't had this issue all season with all the injuries so it's kind of nice.

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Richards-Zuccarello
Boyle-Brassard-Callahan
Pyatt-Moore-Dorsett

Pouliot scratched, Miller sent down to play a lot of minutes in HFD.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
We haven't had this issue all season with all the injuries so it's kind of nice.

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Richards-Zuccarello
Boyle-Brassard-Callahan
Pyatt-Moore-Dorsett

Pouliot scratched, Miller sent down to play a lot of minutes in HFD.

I'd flip Richards and Brassard. It'd behoove us to get Brassard going, and putting him between two players who seem to have the mojo working for them could be the spark he needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad