Speculation: Trade Rumors/Speculation Thread Part IV: Yak Yak Yak Yak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Callahan is a good defensive player and a great PP player, 5 on 5 he's meh. I feel like Zucc's creativity really helps his line. Zucc is a catalyst. Callahan not as much. Though he's played well 5 on 5 this year, I don't think his skill set is something his line would be missing if he were taking off the line.

Edit: I also feel like you're not giving Zucc the credit he deserves. If you didn't have preconceived notions about him I don't think you'd be saying that his contribution has been overrated. If anything Stepan has been the weakest player on that line.

Preconceived notions? Ive called Zuccarello as I've seen it since he got here. I've admitted hes played well the last couple of weeks.

If hes such a catalyst, why not see if he can get Brassard and Pouliot going?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Preconceived notions? Ive called Zuccarello as I've seen it since he got here. I've admitted hes played well the last couple of weeks.

If hes such a catalyst, why not see if he can get Brassard and Pouliot going?

I mean, that line was decent in the preseason, but that was before Brassard and Pouliot were ass. I just don't think that the Stepan line will necessarily be better without Zucc rather than Nash, nor will the Brassard necessarily be better with Zucc rather than Bash.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think you could try Brassard with Kreider and Zuccarello as Stepan seems almost along for the ride with them at this moment.

You could, but to me that screams nightmare in the defensive zone.

Both Stepan and Brassard have been horrible on faceoffs, so at least that would be a wash. Stepan hasn't been higher than 45% his whole career and was 38%his rookie year. Brassard has also hovered around 45% in recent years.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-Zucc
Miller-Richards-Callahan
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

McDonagh-Stralman
Staal-Girardi
J. Moore-DZ

would be ideal for me. You could swap Boyle with Miller and then send Miller to the A for top minutes if/when he plays poorly.

Now if only we could swap MDZ for a top-6 C or a top-4 RD- we'd be golden.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
This team needs to make an honest assessment after the roster is healthy and determine what players they really need to add. "Skilled forward" or "a RHD" aren't enough. No "whatever is out there" trades. Make a deal that you know will improve the team, and if you have to wait, or give up one of the prospects we've refused to trade in the past, then you need to do it. The team can't just keep coasting along in mediocrity while hoarding prospects and throwing whatever it can find at the same problems that have plagued us for years now.

If they want a RH defender who can run the PP and play on the middle pairing, then go get that player. Don't "settle" for a player with warts, or hope you can turn some 26 y/o former lottery pick into a stud. Find a player that can fill the role you need, and who hopefully can grow with the core.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-Zucc
Miller-Richards-Callahan
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

McDonagh-Stralman
Staal-Girardi
J. Moore-DZ

would be ideal for me. You could swap Boyle with Miller and then send Miller to the A for top minutes if/when he plays poorly.

Now if only we could swap MDZ for a top-6 C or a top-4 RD- we'd be golden.

You mean like how he has all year long in the NHL?

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
New York Rangers ‏@NYRangers 2m

Nash skating on fourth defense pair with Michael Del Zotto...Justin Falk on third pair with John Moore

Del Zotto may be scratched, despite playing pretty well of late. Trade incoming?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
This team needs to make an honest assessment after the roster is healthy and determine what players they really need to add. "Skilled forward" or "a RHD" aren't enough. No "whatever is out there" trades. Make a deal that you know will improve the team, and if you have to wait, or give up one of the prospects we've refused to trade in the past, then you need to do it. The team can't just keep coasting along in mediocrity while hoarding prospects and throwing whatever it can find at the same problems that have plagued us for years now.

If they want a RH defender who can run the PP and play on the middle pairing, then go get that player. Don't "settle" for a player with warts, or hope you can turn some 26 y/o former lottery pick into a stud. Find a player that can fill the role you need, and who hopefully can grow with the core.

Pretty much this entire post is spot on.

My targets would by Goc/Matthias from Florida, and Ryan Ellis from Nashville.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Nash skating on fourth defense pair with Michael Del Zotto...Justin Falk on third pair with John Moore

Del Zotto may be scratched, despite playing pretty well of late. Trade incoming?

That is odd... although I'd contest that he had been playing well.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I wouldn't mess with the Kreider-Stepan-mza line (yet) but I would not be upset if the Hagelin-Richards-Callahan line was broken up.

Put Richards back on the wing. He's played his best hockey this season there. He doesn't look as gassed when he's on the wing.

Richards-Brassard-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-MZA
Hagelin-Boyle-Callahan
Pouliot-Moore-Dorsett

Mash and Miller to the pack. Pyatt waived.

The top 2 lines can score. We'll see if that 2nd line can stick. I love the idea of a back-to-100% Stepan going against a lower D pair nightly.

Boyle is not an offensive dynamo but I think the 3rd line can score more than it gives up on most nights while logging tough minutes.

The 4th line has a nice mix of skill and grit, as long as they can stay out of the box.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

There's no game tonight. I'm sure they're just giving Falk some meaningful ice time in practice.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

I honestly would'nt be upset if they started shedding players closer to the deadline.

Are guys like Girardi and, especially, Del Zotto parts of this team going forward? That decision needs to be made in the next few months, and not after an annual half-assed playoff run.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

I agree. We have one of the most complete rosters in the league, but we have one BIG hole. Right handed first pairing defenceman.

We can't afford spending 20 minutes per game on our heels, and Girardi is apparently no longer capable of first pairing minutes. We are being as outplayed as Buffalo are when he is on the ice. Contrast that to when the Staal-Strålman pairing is on and we outplay the opposition more than Chicago, and it is obvious that we have a personnel problem.

Strålman is currently proving to be able to handle a 1A-1B pairing role, so we need another RH defenceman that can log ~20 minutes per game and move the puck well. I still think Gilbert in Florida is a good target.

Try to trade Girardi to Edmonton, Toronto, or Colorado, and flip a pick for Gilbert and we suddenly have a much better balanced defence.

McDonagh-Strålman
Staal-Gilbert
Moore-Del Zotto

Now we have problem #2. Del Zotto is fine as our #3 RD this season, but he is going to need a new contract beyond this year, and that contract is going to be too expensive for the role he is playing on our team. We should trade him for assets and send a 2nd to the Devils for Fayne.

McDonagh-Strålman
Staal-Gilbert
Moore-Fayne

Give Strålman a 4-5 year deal, Gilbert and Fayne 2 years. This is a great, and cheap, defensive corps.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I agree. We have one of the most complete rosters in the league, but we have one BIG hole. Right handed first pairing defenceman.

We can't afford spending 20 minutes per game on our heels, and Girardi is apparently no longer capable of first pairing minutes. We are being as outplayed as Buffalo are when he is on the ice. Contrast that to when the Staal-Strålman pairing is on and we outplay the opposition more than Chicago, and it is obvious that we have a personnel problem.

Strålman is currently proving to be able to handle a 1A-1B pairing role, so we need another RH defenceman that can log ~20 minutes per game and move the puck well. I still think Gilbert in Florida is a good target.

Try to trade Girardi to Edmonton, Toronto, or Colorado, and flip a pick for Gilbert and we suddenly have a much better balanced defence.

McDonagh-Strålman
Staal-Gilbert
Moore-Del Zotto

Now we have problem #2. Del Zotto is fine as our #3 RD this season, but he is going to need a new contract beyond this year, and that contract is going to be too expensive for the role he is playing on our team. We should trade him for assets and send a 2nd to the Devils for Fayne.

McDonagh-Strålman
Staal-Gilbert
Moore-Fayne

Give Strålman a 4-5 year deal, Gilbert and Fayne 2 years. This is a great, and cheap, defensive corps.

Totally disagree. Stralman has never once shown that he's capable of playing a top-pairing role. In fact, when Girardi was injured last season, Stralman was absolutely shelled when he was asked to step into Girardi's place. He's a #5 defender who can play the middle pairing in a pinch and get 2nd unit PP time. I know his CORSI or whatever is phenomenal, but that tends to happen when you're eating up sheltered minutes.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I honestly would'nt be upset if they started shedding players closer to the deadline.

Are guys like Girardi and, especially, Del Zotto parts of this team going forward? That decision needs to be made in the next few months, and not after an annual half-assed playoff run.

I agree, but I'm not holding my breath for the team to see that you can take a step backwards in order to take a leap forward.

I think the team retains Girardi. He's a proven commodity and despite the fact that he's getting older, he's proven to be incredibly healthy over his career. Del Zotto, on the other hand, is going to be traded. It's only a matter of time. He's getting bottom pairing minutes right now with Moore. I think the longer the Rangers wait, the less they'll fetch in return.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Pouliot-Moore-Miller as a 4th line.

Someone needs to tell me what the role of that line is, other than "well, these are our 3 worst healthy forwards, so down there they go"

Not as poorly assembled as the "shootout" 4th line of Wolski-Christensen-Zuccarello.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Totally disagree. Stralman has never once shown that he's capable of playing a top-pairing role. In fact, when Girardi was injured last season, Stralman was absolutely shelled when he was asked to step into Girardi's place. He's a #5 defender who can play the middle pairing in a pinch and get 2nd unit PP time. I know his CORSI or whatever is phenomenal, but that tends to happen when you're eating up sheltered minutes.

He is playing on a 1B pairing right now and has averaged more 5v5 minutes than Girardi over the past 13 games.

He has been primarily matched up against top lines multiple times this season and come out way ahead (Datsyuk+Zetterberg, Giroux+Lecavalier). And Strålman definitely didn't get shelled when paired with McDonagh last season, in fact they were pretty much the most dominant pairing in the league in their time together.

I know Girardi has a good reputation and that Strålman doesn't, but their on ice results are completely different.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He is playing on a 1B pairing right now and has averaged more 5v5 minutes than Girardi over the past 13 games.

He has been primarily matched up against top lines multiple times this season and come out way ahead (Datsyuk+Zetterberg, Giroux+Lecavalier). And Strålman definitely didn't get shelled when paired with McDonagh last season, in fact they were pretty much the most dominant pairing in the league in their time together.

I know Girardi has a good reputation and that Strålman doesn't, but their on ice results are completely different.

I feel like Girardi being good ole fashioned gritty Canadian boy and Stralman being the softer "Devils and Columbus reject" is why people will always have a soft spot for Girardi vs. Stralman. Plus he was indeed good for a while.

PavelBure9

Jul 31, 2007
The Sharks were able to shed dead weight and get a considerable return for those players. Ryane Clowe, Douglas Murray, were able to get mid level to high picks. They were able to change on the fly while still being competitive.

The Rangers have to keep Girardi. Sign him for a four year deal for 20 mil or a five year deal for 22 mil. Over that I would let him walk. Strålman, I could see getting 3 yr 8 mil. Moore will get a bridge contract, probably somewhere from 1.5 to 1.7 for 2 yrs.

That leaves Del Zotto as the odd man out who will probably ask for 3.2 - 3.4 per 4 years. Trade him to Edmonton if you for 3 2nds or a 1st (the deal proposed by Dreger for Coburn). Unless there is the mega deal for Yakupov, which would have to be Del Zotto, Brassard, and a 1st, you have to get something for MDZ before his value is diminished. There is the safety net of Falk, who is cheap, or binging up Allen or McIlrath later in the year.

For forwards, we all know Richards is gone, no matter how good he plays. We have to gets another center who can play top six minutes and if Brassard can't do it, then we have to see what's out there in free agency. I originally wanted Lindberg to take the 3c spot, but if Brassard can't fill a 2c role, then there will be scoring problems all year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad