Speculation: Trade Rumors & Roster Building Thread: Part XXVII: Jeff Gorton: A Troubaliever?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That's fine, its just with his refusal to play in Canada and the whole thing about his girlfriend with med school in the US stuff I really don't think he'd go to Europe.

I'm just not sure this is his best option if he wants to be traded. Its obviously hurt his trade value and Chevy doesn't want to trade him for a crappy package. His value just plummets even more if he ends up sitting out the year. Maybe at that point Chevy is stubborn enough to say screw it and just let him sit unsigned.

Sign the contract, keep developing into the top pairing defenseman that everyone says he is, up your trade value so your team can ship you off for a great return.

If he has been asking for a trade for a while then this is on Chevy. They knew they couldn't pay him what his potential is worth because of the money they have tied up in Buff and Myers. This isn't a surprise.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
That's fine, its just with his refusal to play in Canada and the whole thing about his girlfriend with med school in the US stuff I really don't think he'd go to Europe.

I'm just not sure this is his best option if he wants to be traded. Its obviously hurt his trade value and Chevy doesn't want to trade him for a crappy package. His value just plummets even more if he ends up sitting out the year. Maybe at that point Chevy is stubborn enough to say screw it and just let him sit unsigned.

Sign the contract, keep developing into the top pairing defenseman that everyone says he is, up your trade value so your team can ship you off for a great return.
Not sure how much higher his trade value can go as it is. Never know, it could actually go down if he has a bad year (not exactly set up to have a great one as it stands now).

Why do you think this situation has hurt his value?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
That's fine, with his refusal to play in Canada and the whole thing about his girlfriend with med school in the US stuff I really don't think he'd go to Canada.

But what incentive would Winnipeg have to trade him if he was under contract? That's why teams wouldn't offer sheet him. They don't want to trade him, if he was under contract they would have 100% control. Drouin wanted a trade last season when he was signed. Surprise surprise he's still with the Lightning. The jets want the world for an unsigned player who wants a trade - what would they want for him if he was signed and completely under their control? This line of thinking of yours makes absolutely no sense. He has a near 0% chance of being traded any time soon if he signs.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
But what incentive would Winnipeg have to trade him if he was under contract? That's why teams wouldn't offer sheet him. They don't want to trade him, if he was under contract they would have 100% control. Drouin wanted a trade last season when he was signed. Surprise surprise he's still with the Lightning. The jets want the world for an unsigned player who wants a trade - what would they want for him if he was signed and completely under their control? This line of thinking of yours makes absolutely no sense. He has a near 0% chance of being traded any time soon if he signs.

They can't get what they want for him because he's unsigned. I believe they are more likely to get their asking price if he is signed. Their incentive would be getting fair value for a guy who doesn't want to be there instead of being forced to take a crap deal for him. So he's turned it into a standoff where an apparently stubborn GM doesn't want to blink.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
They can't get what they want for him because he's unsigned. I believe they are more likely to get their asking price if he is signed. Their incentive would be getting fair value for a guy who doesn't want to be there instead of being forced to take a crap deal for him. So he's turned it into a standoff where an apparently stubborn GM doesn't want to blink.

No, they can't get what they want for him because they are asking for the moon and what they want isn't out there. As the other poster said, their ask couldn't get much higher as it is right now. And that's ignoring the fact that if he was signed THEY JUST WOULDNT TRADE HIM.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
Hasn't trouba been out there for a trade since last year? The only reason we even heard about it is because they finally made it public. This is Chevy trying to get trouba to bite the bullet and sign a contract with the hopes of "maybe" being traded. At this point if I were Chevy I wouldn't even want to sign him to a contract because everyone in that locker room is going to look at him as an outcast. Read some of the things those players were saying when he didn't show up for camp. It would not be good for the locker room. Chevy just needs to trade him and move on. He's being unrealistic and unreasonable by holding onto him.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Love that our start has given Gorton the ability to be patient. Let the deals come to you, instead of vice versa. If this team started 3-6 we would've seen a knee jerk to fix the Defense.

This offseason has shown that Gorton has the big picture in mind. I fully believe that he'll maximize the return on any deal he makes.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
No, they can't get what they want for him because they are asking for the moon and what they want isn't out there. As the other poster said, their ask couldn't get much higher as it is right now. And that's ignoring the fact that if he was signed THEY JUST WOULDNT TRADE HIM.

Not sure I'd just assume they wouldn't trade him. If he truly wanted a trade and made it known privately maybe the team would be more willing to do right by a player who didn't try to force his way out immediately like he has done.

He's wanted a trade since last year. Does that mean it has to happen right away? Before this season started?

Why not stay in good standing with your club, keep playing with the trust that the team will do right by you down the road and trade you in the near future. Keep his value rising instead of what he has done here.

What if they don't trade him by Dec 1? Is he really going to sit out the year? Maybe bite the bullet and go to Europe for a year? Really a better option than instead trying to sign with WPG for 1 year?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Not sure I'd just assume they wouldn't trade him. If he truly wanted a trade and made it known privately maybe the team would be more willing to do right by a player who didn't try to force his way out immediately like he has done.

He's wanted a trade since last year. Does that mean it has to happen right away? Before this season started?

Why not stay in good standing with your club, keep playing with the trust that the team will do right by you down the road and trade you in the near future. Keep his value rising instead of what he has done here.

What if they don't trade him by Dec 1? Is he really going to sit out the year? Maybe bite the bullet and go to Europe for a year? Really a better option than instead trying to sign with WPG for 1 year?

Bob McKenzie said at the beginning of this that if you want Trouba don't offersheet him because Winnipeg will match. This is a business. Teams do right by themselves (or what they think is doing right by themselves) first and foremost.

But regardless of that it still doesn't change the fact that your belief that him being signed would help facilitate a trade is still not in touch with reality.

This team has Zero incentive to do him any favors if he is signed. Zero.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
if the trade request has become public, you can bet your last dollar it was private at one point and once it became clear to the Trouba camp that the efforts to move him were not earnest, the request became public.

He gets to 12/01/16 unsigned, his value plummets and Chevy should be fired.

It may appear that the Jets have the upper hand here. It just appears that way.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If Chevy is willing to hold out on Trouba and make him miss an entire NHL season, then so be it. Explore other trade options at that point.

I still really want Trouba, but as the days go by, I'm willing to give up less and less for him.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
If Chevy is willing to hold out on Trouba and make him miss an entire NHL season, then so be it. Explore other trade options at that point.

I still really want Trouba, but as the days go by, I'm willing to give up less and less for him.

I think it'll get to the point where we're only willing to offer Lindberg and Glass for Trouba :laugh:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

That's the struggle Winnipeg is going to find themselves in. The longer this goes the longer a team like the rangers likes their guys and wants to give up even less. Boston is in love with Carlo they're prob less inclined to give up more now than they would have earlier. Detroit is playing well.

Then you have to ask who has the money?

Backing themselves into a corner here.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
That's the struggle Winnipeg is going to find themselves in. The longer this goes the longer a team like the rangers likes their guys and wants to give up even less. Boston is in love with Carlo they're prob less inclined to give up more now than they would have earlier. Detroit is playing well.

I can understand wanted to wait to see if they could get the best deal or at least see if Trouba will sign. But now you have less then 30 days and the offers aren't going to continue to rise. In fact GM's are just going to wait out the market and see how cheap they can actually acquire him

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Money won't be an issue for us, so I'm not worried in that regard. Maybe Staal keeps playing really well and Gorton gets Chevy to bite? Can Morrisey sustain his level of play? It's a very weird and fluid situation. A lot of variables going on, and I'm sure we don't even know the half of it.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Yes regarding money obviously we are fine point being there aren't many others that can absorb his hit at this point.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I can understand wanted to wait to see if they could get the best deal or at least see if Trouba will sign. But now you have less then 30 days and the offers aren't going to continue to rise. In fact GM's are just going to wait out the market and see how cheap they can actually acquire him

You don't know that offers won't rise because you don't know what offers have been made. They aren't going to move him for a 2nd round pick.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
You don't know that offers won't rise because you don't know what offers have been made. They aren't going to move him for a 2nd round pick.

What r u up tight about my post basically says why would we offer the moon when they put themselves in such a tight spot. No ones pressuring JG to get a deal done but your damn sure Chevys going to start getting pressured

So wait the market out and if you can get away with offering less you do that basic knowledge why pay a premium if you don't have to.....

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I think they assume he'll sign rather than sit out a year. I'd also guess they're hoping he'll sign for a team friendly deal because they figure they've backed him into a corner and he has no other choice.

It will be fascinating if Trouba holds out and sits the rest of the year, I hope it happens

e: because I don't believe Winnipeg actually has any intention at all of trading Trouba. They figure either they'll get a big overpayment if someone gets desperate and offers it, or he will re-sign at the last minute. I doubt they seriously think he'll hold out for the year and they will be in deep crap if he does, which is why it'd be so fun if it happens.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I think they assume he'll sign rather than sit out a year. I'd also guess they're hoping he'll sign for a team friendly deal because they figure they've backed him into a corner and he has no other choice.

It will be fascinating if Trouba holds out and sits the rest of the year, I hope it happens

e: because I don't believe Winnipeg actually has any intention at all of trading Trouba. They figure either they'll get a big overpayment if someone gets desperate and offers it, or he will re-sign at the last minute. I doubt they seriously think he'll hold out for the year and they will be in deep crap if he does, which is why it'd be so fun if it happens.

Yeah, it'd be amazing if Trouba actually did decide to sit out the year, but highly doubt that happens.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

Honest question: How are the Jets in "deep crap" if Trouba doesn't sign? Josh Morrissey has effectively filled the open spot. The Jets are gaining depth via the draft annually ex-Trouba regardless and will soon be adding guys to their D like Sami Niku from Finland, Tucker Poolman from UND, etc. They have a really young roster this year (added 4 more rookies) and were preaching that growing pains might occur this season. The GM also has the full support of ownership.

You know who has enough cap to sign him? The Winnipeg Jets, because that has clearly been the plan all along. If Trouba doesn't sign, the issue is revisited at a later date and Trouba gets to lie in the bed he has made in the meantime. Life goes on.

Hope you guys have a good season. Cheers.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Keep in mind we need to move out about 3 to 4 mil in a trouba/vatanen/Hamilton deal.

So can't just ship off fast and a pick.

I'd really start to seriously consider moving Klein before the DEcline starts. Holden looks light years better next to Staal than Klein did.

Move klein and slot Clendening. Piece of cake

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Posted in the Trouba mega thread, but by December I think he just signs a short term deal and plays the year with the Jets.

Also Klein should be traded at the deadline regardless of the standings. Squeeze every ounce of value out of him.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
1. Trading now will allow for the biggest return as whatever the Rangers will give up is at its highest value.
2. Klein and Zuke are the best options given combination of their hockey value, salary against cap and remaining years under contract. Nash is more difficult to trade (for a fair value) unless salary is retained. All three are prime candidates from the Rangers perspective given that the organization should be very wary to hamstring itself again with a big salary for many years on players who could be on a decline.
3. Do not trade Miller (or Hayes). What would be the point? We were talking about Brassard-like deal for Zuke. Don't we want the return to be someone like Miller? I'd do Zuke for Miller in a second.

Point is the Rangers will benefit this season and long term by acquiring a true young 1RD (and also a project who has a potential to develop into one in a near future) but they need to use someone from the pool of Klein, Zuke, Nash, minor pieces like Lindberg or Fast and lesser prospects. I think these are good options to accommodate any reasonable trade demands.

concur on 1, 2 and 3
well said
I would be open minded to even higher piece than Zuc in McD IF IF IF IF there is overpayment
Also, Stepan

Honest question: How are the Jets in "deep crap" if Trouba doesn't sign? Josh Morrissey has effectively filled the open spot. The Jets are gaining depth via the draft annually ex-Trouba regardless and will soon be adding guys to their D like Sami Niku from Finland, Tucker Poolman from UND, etc. They have a really young roster this year (added 4 more rookies) and were preaching that growing pains might occur this season. The GM also has the full support of ownership.

You know who has enough cap to sign him? The Winnipeg Jets, because that has clearly been the plan all along. If Trouba doesn't sign, the issue is revisited at a later date and Trouba gets to lie in the bed he has made in the meantime. Life goes on.

Hope you guys have a good season. Cheers

classy!

Posted in the Trouba mega thread, but by December I think he just signs a short term deal and plays the year with the Jets.

Also Klein should be traded at the deadline regardless of the standings. Squeeze every ounce of value out of him.

concur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad