Speculation: Trade Rumors & Roster Building Thread: Part XXV "Gorton the new magician?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Question - what is Girardi's cap hit if he is bought out after this season?

Is it $1.44M for 6 years? Two thirds of remaining total ($13M total) over 2X remaining length of contact (3yrs)?

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/dan-girardi

2017-18 -- $2.611M
2018-19 -- $3.611M
2019-20 -- $3.611M
2020-21 -- $1.11M
2021-22 -- $1.11M
2022-23 -- $1.11M

It's absolutely horrendous in the 2nd and 3rd years. That's why its imperative Girardi builds up his value or goes on LTIR...

As for why it is horrendous, it's because the contract was front-loaded

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

Yes, here they are.

Dagoon mentioned Calgary/Rangers last week when talking McIlrath?

If there was an organization that had a mgmt staff interested in physical players it would be Calgary. Not saying they are shopping Hamilton, but he is RHD.

Burke, Sutter, Cameron, all guys that have a taste for the physical aspect of the game.

TurgePurge*

2017-18 -- $2.611M
2018-19 -- $3.611M
2019-20 -- $3.611M
2020-21 -- $1.11M
2021-22 -- $1.11M
2022-23 -- $1.11M

It's absolutely horrendous in the 2nd and 3rd years. That's why its imperative Girardi builds up his value or goes on LTIR...

Well people on here treat DG like he is a 600K player so if thats the truth then you basically get to put 8 mil total back into the lineup over those first 3 years at the expense of lowering your cap by 1.11 for the next 3 years

TurgePurge*

Im listening to the Lebrun interview. The interviewer prefaces the rangers topic by saying "the oldest team in the NHL is the New York Rangers" which was weird because later in the discussion he talks about how our leading scorers are all young guys. Lebrun talked about the typical players looking refreshed and trying to model the way the pens and lightning have had success with speed. yada yada yada. Said that Gorton took over in a difficult time with picks traded etc but has done a good job so far.

As far as that tweet goes, doesn't seem like he's alluding to any move in particular. He's just going along with the general consensus.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If Gorton trades for and keeps Cam Folwer, it would almost ruin his phenomenal offseason.

I refuse to believe that the man who got Zibanejad AND a 2nd for Brassard would make such a boneheaded move, though. It seems to me that Gorton absolutely realizes we need a righty. So I don't think Fowler is coming our way unless he's flipped for Trouba.

That OTT deal happened because of money. I proposed a few Brassard trades to OTT because of what I heard from a good friend of mine.

We were both wrong about the state of OTT financially because the thought was Turris that was the piece coming back.

Then difference between Turris and Zibs was that Turris was cost controlled for an extra year.

OTT gave up the 2nd because NYR picked up a $2M tab on the Brassard deal.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

2017-18 -- $2.611M
2018-19 -- $3.611M
2019-20 -- $3.611M
2020-21 -- $1.11M
2021-22 -- $1.11M
2022-23 -- $1.11M

The point is to realize that $3.6 is still less than $5.5 and definitely less than $5.5m and the product that Girardi will be adding (read: subtracting) to the Rangers.

He's not getting off this team any other way outside of him retiring and walking away from all that money which will never happen.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008

2017-18 -- $2.611M
2018-19 -- $3.611M
2019-20 -- $3.611M
2020-21 -- $1.11M
2021-22 -- $1.11M
2022-23 -- $1.11M

ugh, that's brutal.

Assuming we get rid of Nash to give Zibby maybe $3M more than what he earns now, hopefully we can use the other 4M + holden/Klein to upgrade at D. Problem is the following year with Vesey, Hayes, and JT as RFA- Where will the money come from?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Im listening to the Lebrun interview. The interviewer prefaces the rangers topic by saying "the oldest team in the NHL is the New York Rangers" which was weird because later in the discussion he talks about how our leading scorers are all young guys. Lebrun talked about the typical players looking refreshed and trying to model the way the pens and lightning have had success with speed. yada yada yada. Said that Gorton took over in a difficult time with picks traded etc but has done a good job so far.

As far as that tweet goes, doesn't seem like he's alluding to any move in particular. He's just going along with the general consensus.

There's no way the Rangers are the oldest team in the NHL are they? Their oldest player is Lundqvist at 34. They have a handful of other guys that are in their 30s.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The point is to realize that $3.6 is still less than $5.5 and definitely less than $5.5m and the product that Girardi will be adding (read: subtracting) to the Rangers.

He's not getting off this team any other way outside of him retiring and walking away from all that money which will never happen.

I mean that's true.. for the first three years it's a net cap gain of about $3M, $2M, and $2M respectively, but it's still a huge pill to swallow.

Unless we have several Bottom pairing RHD players on ELC's... that's the only way to help offset it... Still, that guy will need to be a hell of a player on an ELC because he's essentially going to cost whatever Girardi's dead cap hit is + his ELC... about $3-4M

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Dagoon mentioned Calgary/Rangers last week when talking McIlrath?

If there was an organization that had a mgmt staff interested in physical players it would be Calgary. Not saying they are shopping Hamilton, but he is RHD.

Burke, Sutter, Cameron, all guys that have a taste for the physical aspect of the game.

Could be something there. That team wants to make the playoffs but they're basically icing a team that's got 6 decent forwards.

I don't think they'd want defensemen, they've got two really good prospects in the AHL.

That team needs forward depth and special teams help. McDavid just torched them recently.

Their vaunted defense doesn't get a sniff from Team Canada because none of those guys are proven in the playoffs.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

They're one of the youngest teams in the league. I think that was true of the team last year... oldest in the NHL.

Short memory though, because the Penguins and Lightning have been trying to model the way the Rangers had success with speed in 13-14 and 14-15.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
There's no way the Rangers are the oldest team in the NHL are they? Their oldest player is Lundqvist at 34. They have a handful of other guys that are in their 30s.

They're one of the youngest teams in the league. I think that was true of the team last year... oldest in the NHL.

Short memory though, because the Penguins and Lightning have been trying to model the way the Rangers had success with speed in 13-14 and 14-15.

There was an article published not to long ago that ranked each team by weight, height and age. Rangers were one of the tallest, heaviest and, IIRC, 9th youngest team in the league.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
For me, easier pill to swallow than G being on the ice 82 games a season and 15+ mins a night :dunno:

It's funny, if our coach wasn't so blinded, that wouldn't even be a pill to swallow. Girardi might actually end up with some trade value... :cry:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Agreed. And it's not like it'd be impossible to replace him. Likely with someone who costs less than Girardi's caphit even with the buyout hit. Like Clendening

Welcome to silverfishland 5 months ago.

It's a dark place. I'd recommend leaving. Lots of introspective thought caused by watching too much Black Mirror :P

Oh, and charts. Charts everywhere.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Saying things like "the Rangers are trying to model their team after Pittsburgh or Tampa and be about team speed!" is ridiculous since all everyone could talk about when the Rangers went to the finals was how they were a team built on speed.

I'm not going to say "oh the Rangers were the first ones to do it" but they were obviously in on the "build around speed" bandwagon years before Pittsburgh.

Ever since AV was hired they've been about trying to be a fast team.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

It's a dark place. I'd recommend leaving. Lots of introspective thought caused by watching too much Black Mirror :P

I've been on that train probably since last season. Silverfishland sounds like an interesting place though ha.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

It's funny how a narrative persists despite being factually incorrect.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams

Rangers currently are 8th youngest team in the NHL.

And that number is inflated with a few old guys in Girardi, Nash, Hank and Klein. Those are the only players on the roster in their 30s.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Saying things like "the Rangers are trying to model their team after Pittsburgh or Tampa and be about team speed!" is ridiculous since all everyone could talk about when the Rangers went to the finals was how they were a team built on speed.

I'm not going to say "oh the Rangers were the first ones to do it" but they were obviously in on the "build around speed" bandwagon years before Pittsburgh.

Ever since AV was hired they've been about trying to be a fast team.

This is actually something that has bothered me, I've heard multiple analysts say the Rangers are trying to copy the Penguins because anytime a team wins the rest of the league tries to copy cat.

I'm just sitting there like "Did I dream the 2014 run to the cup?" The Rangers were raved about that off season for the speed we played with and relentlessly pushing the pace, but I guess since we lost in the Final, it didn't count?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

I remember when silverfish land was all about hyper emphasis on controlled zone starts and immeasurable quality of competition :sarcasm:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This is actually something that has bothered me, I've heard multiple analysts say the Rangers are trying to copy the Penguins because anytime a team wins the rest of the league tries to copy cat.

I'm just sitting there like "Did I dream the 2014 run to the cup?" The Rangers were raved about that off season for the speed we played with and relentlessly pushing the pace, but I guess since we lost in the Final, it didn't count?

There was a story early on last season about how AV is the one of the most influential coaches in the Eastern Conference, if not the league. The Lightning and Penguins absolutely built off what he did with the Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad