Speculation: Trade Rumors & Roster Building Thread: Part XXV "Gorton the new magician?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't understand what kind of person gets his jollies from making up trade rumors. It's incredibly lame. (Referring to the tweet not those sharing it).

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers moved their 1st if it was for a longer term solution. I also think Nash will return a 1st at the deadline anyways so I don't think they will be without one anyways

If this team is able to land Trouba (or any quality top 4 RHD honestly). I am not sure they will move Nash at all. I get it is only been a handful of games but if this team can sustain this type of possession and HDSC dominance for most of the season.

They can possibly make a run, in that scenario not sure they would want to trade Nash. We can hate him all we want for his lack of consistent PO production but you have to admit this team is better with him in the top9. He doesn't have to be the "THE GUY" this year.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
What is "pretty nice?"

Nash is not the same player he was 2 seasons ago. I see it from my couch. You know other teams all see it. I just dont see the value to other teams, even with some retained salary.

Look what Eric Staal brought back last year... As a rental.

Nash is a better player than Staal at this juncture of their careers, he'd also have an extra year left. Assuming that he gets moved to a team in "win now" mode, I'd venture to guess that he'd return a 1st and a pretty decent prospect.

Vermette, Ladd, Weise,etc. have all netted pretty decent returns (as rental players.) You can't tell me with a straight face that Nash wouldn't bring back more than those guys did.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I don't understand what kind of person gets his jollies from making up trade rumors. It's incredibly lame. (Referring to the tweet not those sharing it).

Some people get a thrill out of some other people believing they have an inside of the teams trade talks. Some people may occasionally get inside information but 95% of the "inside information" I see posted online is just stuff posted other places or guess work. They play the Miss Cleo game. They see the Rangers have 24 contracts and they predict a trade. First they mention a major player but not XYZ players then a week later they say a bottom 6 guy. Basically as long as something happens eventually they have covered all their bases. I'm just surprised when people intelligent enough to turn on a computer can not spot the vagueness in some of their predictions.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
keep in mind, we have hayes, buch, had duclair, that finish dude we moved in the staal deal, and now vesey

all of those were not 1st round picks or picks for us at all.

All true, but eventually that's going to catch up. Plus...with the new direction, and not a lot of money going out this doesn't make so much sense.

LHD is what WPG reportedly wants. 1st rounder they would certainly want. Value is definitely there. Pricetag isn't.

trench23

Aug 2, 2005
if we moved him start of last season, he would have returned a 1st rounder :laugh:

call me crazy, but i think one of jtmiller or kevin spicoli is gone. jimmy vesey has made that possible. suddenly, those guys can be moved.

i think brandon pirri, by way of his el-cheap contract, is staying. as far as "bang for the buck potential", he's tops (or as i like to call it "the reverse rick nash factor") :nod:

zuc is another guy who's got some exposure. with gorton preaching the getting young mantra, he's a guy who's got all the criteria for being moved. not a fan of that as much.

rick nash is staying because his contract is a non starter.

you gotta give value to return value back

i think a deal like this is a distinct possibility.

zuc and kevin hayes ( hey, its just business buddy) for _______________ rhd

jt miller, kevin klein and Dylan mcilrath for __________________ rhd

3 way deal. cam fowler and jt miller for ___________________ rhd

I see what you did there.. and its priceless. :handclap:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If this team is able to land Trouba (or any quality top 4 RHD honestly). I am not sure they will move Nash at all. I get it is only been a handful of games but if this team can sustain this type of possession and HDSC dominance for most of the season.

They can possibly make a run, in that scenario not sure they would want to trade Nash. We can hate him all we want for his lack of consistent PO production but you have to admit this team is better with him in the top9. He doesn't have to be the "THE GUY" this year.

I agree. I think if they play like they have been it's more of a chance we make a move for a RHD than trade Nash, Zucc, Klein etc

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I agree. I think if they play like they have been it's more of a chance we make a move for a RHD than trade Nash, Zucc, Klein etc

I think if the Rangers trade for Trouba, they become a much more balance team.

McD-Trouba
Staal-Clen
Skjei-Klein

I'm assuming McI would be shipped out in a trade for Trouba, and G and Holden should be bench players.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think if the Rangers trade for Trouba, they become a much more balance team.

McD-Trouba
Staal-Clen
Skjei-Klein

I'm assuming McI would be shipped out in a trade for Trouba, and G and Holden should be bench players.

AV has a chance to sit one of Girardi and Holden and he's not. Why would he sit them both if we acquire Trouba?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Girardi isn't going to sit, whether we acquire Trouba or Vatanen or not. He might play third pairing. If they acquire Trouba, I expect that Trouba will play with McDonagh. If they acquire Vatanen, I expect that Vatanen will play with Staal.

McDonagh-Klein
Staal-Vatanen
Skjei-Girardi

McDonagh-Trouba
Staal-Klein
Skjei-Girardi

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Girardi isn't going to sit, whether we acquire Trouba or Vatanen or not. He might play third pairing. If they acquire Trouba, I expect that Trouba will play with McDonagh. If they acquire Vatanen, I expect that Vatanen will play with Staal.

McDonagh-Klein
Staal-Vatanen
Skjei-Girardi

McDonagh-Trouba
Staal-Klein
Skjei-Girardi

I think I'd do the pairings you have with Vatanen for Trouba as well. Obviously you want that dominant number one pairing but Staal - Klein I've never liked together. Spread the wealth to have a really good top 4.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com

McDonagh-Klein
Staal-Vatanen
Skjei-Girardi

McDonagh-Trouba
Staal-Klein
Skjei-Girardi
That 2nd option seems more realistic for AV. If we do acquire a top 4D man i think we can make another run THIS year.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
AV has a chance to sit one of Girardi and Holden and he's not. Why would he sit them both if we acquire Trouba?

it's funn how smart AV thinks he is. Girardi had ZERO trade value this offseason, and even now he really doesn't have much at all, but my god, it's not like he's been good the last 2 years, and yet AV has this fascination with him.

Gorton, take his toys away

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
That 2nd option seems more realistic for AV. If we do acquire a top 4D man i think we can make another run THIS year.

that second option is pretty nice

i could probably live with that and with this group of forwards playing this way, be pretty confident we can run with anybody until the deadline.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think it's more likely that Gorton acquires one defenseman (Vatanen or Trouba) this year, unloads some guys at the deadline (specifically Nash, Klein, and Glass), then buys out/trades Girardi prior to expansion, and then finally in Free Agency next year he signs Shattenkirk.

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Staal-Vatanen
Skjei-Clendening (assuming he sticks around).

Vatanen will be a right handed Yandle, and with Staal around, I think AV will still treat them like a top pairing unlike how he did with Yandle last year.

Shattenkirk will be an all around guy that will suit McDonagh well, and AV should trust him just as much as he does Girardi.

Clendening with another year of development with this team should cement himself in the bottom pairing. Figure one of Holden or some other UFA 7th defenseman is here next season, and there's your defense.

Hell of a lot better than this year, and literally light years better than last year.

Side note, if Trouba can be acquired instead of vatanen, that's even bigger.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Question - what is Girardi's cap hit if he is bought out after this season?

Is it $1.44M for 6 years? Two thirds of remaining total ($13M total) over 2X remaining length of contact (3yrs)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad