Trade Rumors & Proposals Thread V: Kane you believe it? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It'll be Vermette... I don't really see why there's so much objection to him. He's exactly the kind of player that the Habs system is made for. He can score, he can play defense, he can kill penalties, win faceoffs, he can play 2 positions (so MT will have a field day trying him with everyone on the team) and he's a gritty, tough player. Exactly what you want going into the playoffs, and going forward he is a good replacement for DD if you choose to move him in the offseason.

Agreed...and more importantly, he's a UFA which means, that in theory. It shouldn't cost the Habs significant assets to get him

I think he's the perfect fit for Montreal

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Vermette's not that good.

He plays for a horrible team... With better support he would be a very solid player here. They got NOTHING on the Yotes, it's a Buffalo-bad team. He would look more like he did with the BJs, which was pretty damn solid. He's tailor made for this team.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
It was reported that Montréal and Vancouver were in discussions for E.Kane

My bone of contention is that the talks with Montreal would have ended the second Kane had season ending surgery. Montreal could not have made a deal without seriously hurting their chances this year.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I know mr mod, change the title , so the kane talk stops

You wanted people to stop talking about Kane even before he was traded. I'm not sure what your problem is, but no. It's a discussion board. It's only natural for people to want to talk about the return of a player the Habs showed interest in acquiring.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Ok, now I want Bogosian ! haha I know it would be weird but
seriously, he is the kind of top4 RHD habs need and he is young and signed for many years. It's probably now easier to get him with tanking Sabres. Unlikely, but I would surely try.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
He plays for a horrible team... With better support he would be a very solid player here. They got NOTHING on the Yotes, it's a Buffalo-bad team. He would look more like he did with the BJs, which was pretty damn solid. He's tailor made for this team.

He's still not that good. He's not a topline player, he's barely a 2nd line player - and just because Therrien likes to rock "duos" doesn't mean that Vermette will slot in well.

Yes he'll be an upgrade on someone but he's a far cry from being a talent like Vanek or something. And having Pleks and Eller makes Vermette's skillset quite redundant.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Ok, now I want Bogosian ! haha I know it would be weird but
seriously, he is the kind of top4 RHD habs need and he is young and signed for many years. It's probably now easier to get him with tanking Sabres. Unlikely, but I would surely try.

I was thinking the same thing... Which would allow the Sabres to go "full" tank

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
He's still not that good. He's not a topline player, he's barely a 2nd line player - and just because Therrien likes to rock "duos" doesn't mean that Vermette will slot in well.

Yes he'll be an upgrade on someone but he's a far cry from being a talent like Vanek or something. And having Pleks and Eller makes Vermette's skillset quite redundant.

Thinking the same thing. No Vermette plz.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia

I don't think anyone is expecting to get another talent like Vanek again this year.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Agreed...and more importantly, he's a UFA which means, that in theory. It shouldn't cost the Habs significant assets to get him

But if he re-sings here it's a clear indication that Galchenyuk isn't going to be a full time center in the short-term.

I'd rather the Habs go for Jagr instead.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Winnipeg basically replaced 70% or more of what Kane gave them, I think Stafford with a change of scenery could be really good for 3-4 months, may be little to no dropoff.

Now they can flip or use other young assets(picks/prospects) to add a piece(using Kane's money) like ROR Yandle etc or just for a rental(Vermette Santorelli Winnik Erat Petry Methot etc).

It's a key year for them to make the playoffs, obviously for the GM's job and also for the long term health of the franchise...they need to show growth.

on buffalo's side, the move is also akin to fire across the bow to the oilers... reminding them who is leading the Tank charge.

will be interesting to see if the Jets make another significant move to bolster their push to make the playoffs. they do have the cap space and now some additional assets to use, as you pointed out.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
But if he re-sings here it's a clear indication that Galchenyuk isn't going to be a full time center in the short-term.

I'd rather the Habs go for Jagr instead.

Why not both?

Pacioretty - Vermette - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Jagr
Desharnais - Eller - Sekac

Michelangelo

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
You wanted people to stop talking about Kane even before he was traded. I'm not sure what your problem is, but no. It's a discussion board. It's only natural for people to want to talk about the return of a player the Habs showed interest in acquiring.

ok, I just was thinking what you said,

rock on

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Some local online rumor peddler saying Erik Cole Part 2 is our plan C if all else fails.

I personally call ******** on that.

But if that would happen, why Erik Cole?!? He's playing out his contract to get his money.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It'll be Vermette... I don't really see why there's so much objection to him. He's exactly the kind of player that the Habs system is made for. He can score, he can play defense, he can kill penalties, win faceoffs, he can play 2 positions (so MT will have a field day trying him with everyone on the team) and he's a gritty, tough player. Exactly what you want going into the playoffs, and going forward he is a good replacement for DD if you choose to move him in the offseason.

agree, the question though is at what price tag...

he's not worth the 1st/JDR asking price, and with our bigger need at W & top-4D, i don't know that throwing assets at him with the risk of losing him this summer is worth it.

his scoring/offensive productivity is only marginally better than Eller's when PP time/points is considered, and this despite being used as arizona's #1 C. as weak as they are, that still amounts to more consistent and superior linemates.

put him on a line centering prust/sekac and take away his PP time, that offensive production will dry up quickly.

Whatever updgrade he'd be in a 3rd line C role, isn't close to enough to warrant the assets it will take to land him. Hard to envision MT inserting him ahead of DD/Pleks in either of the top two pairings, and even if he did, our lack of productive top-9 wingers doesn't get addressed.

Vermette only makes sense if DD is going the other way at the same time (or, which would be a mistake, Eller), and the cost doesn't prevent another move to bolster the wing position.

otherwise, fit/need/cost realities don't add up.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014

Where does he slot in???

I really don't get this Vermette to MTL stuff, unless Eller or DD is on the way out.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
on buffalo's side, the move is also akin to fire across the bow to the oilers... reminding them who is leading the Tank charge.

:laugh:

The Sabres lockerroom doesn't seem as bad as the absolutely putrid morale of the Oilers. But the new Oil coach seems to be a bit better put together than Dallas Eakins.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Some local online rumor peddler saying Erik Cole Part 2 is our plan C if all else fails.

But if that would happen, why Erik Cole?!? He's playing out his contract to get his money.

while not optimal, if it's a low price tag he would be a good plan C...

history/chemistry with DD/Patches, familiarity with the city/organization, last chance to make a case for one more solid contract (not from us!).

Patches - DD - Cole
Galch - Pleks - Gally
Sekac - Eller - Parenteau
Prust - Maholtra - Weise
(bournival/JDR/Andreghetto)

not an forward group that will strike fear in the hearts of our playoff opponents, but certainly a more balanced/deep scoring attack than what we currently have.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

15 goals so far, RW, has definite chemistry with DD and Patches - aside from losing a step, what's there not to like?

He plays like a warrior and loved being a Hab too. All the acrimony is from the Habs' side... and I don't know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad