Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals Thread 2013-2014 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Last year was a fluke imo. Look at the rest of his career… Not much scoring going on there.

He's a 4th liner with 3rd line potential imo. Like I said, I'd trade Greening straight up. Other than that, not really interested.

He has a bad 20 games on one of the worst teams in the league, and that discounts his last two years? Combining his 2011/12 and 2012/13 campaigns, he has put up 45 points in 127 games, which is a 35 points/82 games average, which would make him the best 4th line forward in the league.

He's a good 3rd line forward with the potential to be a great one. He could develop into a consistent 20 goal, 40 point forward who is big, fast, responsible defensively and a solid PKer.

If Murray can get him at his current value or close to it, it'll be considered a steal a season from now.

WhiteLight*

He was rushed to the NHL and managed to crack the Cats full time when he was 21.
Big body, good defensively and mobile is useful.

He has never been given an offensive role at the pro level to develop his offensive game.

79Pts in 53GP as a 19 year old in OHL... Year and a half becoming a third liner in the A... Then call up full time to NHL at 21... And put in bottom six role

You're not gonna get a better chance to play on a scoring line than in Florida. Doesn't really matter if they rushed him and stunted his development. What's done is done

He has a bad 20 games on one of the worst teams in the league, and that discounts his last two years? Combining his 2011/12 and 2012/13 campaigns, he has put up 45 points in 127 games, which is a 35 points/82 games average, which would make him the best 4th line forward in the league.

He's a good 3rd line forward with the potential to be a great one. He could develop into a consistent 20 goal, 40 point forward who is big, fast, responsible defensively and a solid PKer.

If Murray can get him at his current value or close to it, it'll be considered a steal a season from now.

If you take out his fluke season, then he only had 24 points in 2011-12. Which is fine I guess but that's less than what Erik Condra got.

There's no doubt that he played like an elite 3rd line in 2012-2013. He just hasn't the rest of his career. How he played in 2012-13 is really his top end potential, and he's not a lock to get back to it.

The way he's playing right now, he wouldn't really help the team. The team has guys like him already.

WhiteLight*

MAK, he would be a much better option than Greening.

might be better but ''much'' is a very strong word. Greening has a career 34 points/82 games and Matthias has 25 points/82 games.

Matthias is a dime a dozen bottom sixer, not what the team needs

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
might be better but ''much'' is a very strong word. Greening has a career 34 points/82 games and Matthias has 25 points/82 games.

Matthias is a dime a dozen bottom sixer, not what the team needs

Greening is a dime a dozen bottom sixer. The difference is Matthias still has potential.... and a lot better hands.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Greening is a dime a dozen bottom sixer. The difference is Matthias still has potential.... and a lot better hands.

exactly. greening does nothing for us now. matthias might do something. so it's an upgrade(or at least a min risk move worth taking) and gives us a better chance to win. matthias can do things greening cannot.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I dont mind getting Matthias in a package deal but if hes the main piece, that is not what we need at all. We have many Bingo spects that could be the same player in the right situation imo.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
exactly. greening does nothing for us now. matthias might do something. so it's an upgrade(or at least a min risk move worth taking) and gives us a better chance to win. matthias can do things greening cannot.

Like what?

I don't think you can pin all the problems on one player, this team wins as a team & they have collectively stunk as a team in more than a few games this yr. It's not one player. A few games ago people were complaining about Kassian being in the lineup like it was his fault the team lost. Then it was Anderson, then it wasn't, then it was someone else. This team has been bad numerous times & all of them are to blame, that happens in hockey sometimes for no apparent reason. Philly should be a lot better too with their lineup, same for Vancouver.

IMO Karlsson is one of the biggest problems on this team right now, he seems to be lackadiasicle with his play & with the puck. While he still does put up pts, he consistently gives the puck away, loses numerous puck battles & is doing way too many stupid things with the puck especially in front of his net. He passes when he should shoot, shoots or passes into players skates a lot & is too slow on the PP & wastes too much time. He gets caught up ice a lot & is taking too long to get back. He's an elite player who may have trouble getting his head through the door since his Norris win.

Collectively they are just not good enough & everybody has an opinion as to who is to blame but IMO it has to be your veterans & your elite players who have to get them out of this funk, not the bottom six guys & right now the elite players are not good enough. It`s definitely time for a trade & everyone on here has an opinion as to who that should be. Mine is to either place Corvo on waivers or try & package him with Conacher & Condra for someone. I would love to see a deal for Chris Stweart or Wayne Simmons but I doubt that package gets you either of those guys. It might get Shawn Mathias though since I don`t think he is worth much more than that. It`s our biggest problem that some of the players who should be traded have no value on the trade market. A Michalek for Chris Stewart might be interesting.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I pray we get Matthias. I made a post at start of season saying Matthias is the type of guy you win playoff series with. He tries his best every shift even if he is inconsistent in the goal-scoring department. He hustles hard and plays excellent defensive hockey.

Greening for Matthias would be a STEAL.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I pray we get Matthias. I made a post at start of season saying Matthias is the type of guy you win playoff series with. He tries his best every shift even if he is inconsistent in the goal-scoring department. He hustles hard and plays excellent defensive hockey.

Greening for Matthias would be a STEAL.

You just described Greening, they are more alike than different, IMO they play a very similar game. I don`t see where there would be an upgrade with Mathias over Greening. It would be smarter to go for a goal scorer, Ottawa needs to score goals.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
You just described Greening, they are more alike than different, IMO they play a very similar game. I don`t see where there would be an upgrade with Mathias over Greening. It would be smarter to go for a goal scorer, Ottawa needs to score goals.

Exactly, we need a top winger/top 4 dman not Matthias.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
C'mon guys.... Matthias is a lateral move.

We are stacked with "3rd line" type players, our farm system is full of 'em. He's a completely redundant acquisition, it wouldn;t make any sense.

We'd just be "making a move for the sake of making a move" if we acquired him.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa

We are stacked with "3rd line" type players, our farm system is full of 'em. He's a completely redundant acquisition, it wouldn;t make any sense.

I feel like since the leafs made a move for Holland we are looking for a player like that, difference in we already have players like that in the minors where the Leafs didnt.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Of course Ottawa needs goalscorers and top 3 defenders...

However, if you can switch a bottom 6er for an EVEN BETTER bottom 6er.. you do that every day.

Making a deal for the sake of making a deal is a 2nd rounder for a 2nd rounder.

Matthias has more hustle and smarts than Greening. Matthias is also more aggressive and better puck-possession player. Greening has 3 times the hits but 10 times less noticeable.

TheOriginalSilf*

Absolutely this. The grass is always greener on the other side.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
There have been talks about gleason moving. I know he has a bad history with ottawa but so did corvo and he came here on his free wilk.

Not my top pick but he's a improvement over everyone outside methot and Karl.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Does Stéphane Robidas have anything left in the tank?

He is a RHD and we bring some vet stability to ease pressure on Phillips.
Has a cap hit of 3.3 but only makes 2.85.
I am sure he could be had for cheap.

Methot/Karlsson
Cowen/Robidas
Phillips/Wiercioch

WhiteLight*

I agree with Mak

thanks lehner

Like I said, I would move Greening for Matthias. but

1-I would not add much at all to make it happen
2-Matthias has 3rd line potential at best
3-Matthias is not the answer to this mess

Exactly, we need a top winger/top 4 dman not Matthias.

yep

This, but I will add Matthias has looked like a 4th liner for most of his career

Matthias is as much as a 3rd liner as Kulikov is a top 4 D…. (is not)

carry the puck, deke, make plays, score, play hockey

apparently not at playing hockey, because it doesn't translate into better results

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Does Stéphane Robidas have anything left in the tank?

He is a RHD and we bring some vet stability to ease pressure on Phillips.
Has a cap hit of 3.3 but only makes 2.85.
I am sure he could be had for cheap.

Methot/Karlsson
Cowen/Robidas
Phillips/Wiercioch

I unno if anyone remembers but Murray was kicking hard for months before the deadline 2-3 years ago for Robidas. He could still very well be an option. Murray likes the type of game he plays. Strong, gritty, blocks a lot of shots and will do anything to win.

The Fuhr*

I actually prefer Ehrhoff to Campbell. Mainly cause he can PK better, better defensively, could be much cheaper to acquire and isn't as old.

Regardless, either or would be splendid.

I can't see the Sabres moving Ehrhoff cause of the cap penalty that would hit them if he retired before his deal expired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad