Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals Thread 2013-2014 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fuhr*

Do you think they would take a prospect instead?

Maybe... But they have one if the best farm systems in the league... They'd ask for someone good.
Cause I'm sure one of the other 28 teams would offer a 2nd for DSP

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
too bad glencross got injured. i've been thinking about him the last couple days as a possibility.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't think his value will be higher at the deadline. But if so then sure we can wait but I want Lehner to get his fair share of ice in the mean time

Lehner's earned himself a higher share of the starts. Andy will still get the majority, as he's still an elite goalie, until the team moves him.

Sens aren't going to sewer Andy's trade value by making him the backup, and they won't trade him until they get the right offer.

Pretty easy to figure out, IMO. Lehner is the future, and it's not like Andy is costing us games when he's in net. We have the luxury of being patient right now. Let's use it to our advantage.

WhiteLight*

Also Bonk, the problem with your scenario is that for Anderson to have high value, he needs to play and be a #1.

Well if that happens, Lehner won't be playing much and people won't be comfortable taking the risk of trading Anderson. The best time to trade Anderson is when he's playing like a #1 and playing well. But then people won't want to trade him.

The best time to trade him is now because
1-He is still relatively fresh off that crazy season from last year
2-He didn't ''lose'' his job to Lehner yet, he is just hurt

The Fuhr*

Where do you trade Anderson then? Not really a market now... Florida won't give anything good, already sellers.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
If they did want to trade andy around now, he'd have to get in a couple solid starts and steal some games to get other teams real interested again. i don't think his value is particularly high right now. some risk has crept in since the beginning of the year.

WhiteLight*

Lehner's earned himself a higher share of the starts. Andy will still get the majority, as he's still an elite goalie, until the team moves him.

Sens aren't going to sewer Andy's trade value by making him the backup, and they won't trade him until they get the right offer.

Pretty easy to figure out, IMO. Lehner is the future, and it's not like Andy is costing us games when he's in net. We have the luxury of being patient right now. Let's use it to our advantage.

Lehner gives the team the best chance to win. The team needs every single one it can get. Therefore Anderson should be moved so Lehner can play, because as you say Anderson won't be made backup.

Also, thinking long term, it's better for Lehner's development to play and not sit on the bench for another season.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Where do you trade Anderson then? Not really a market now... Florida won't give anything good, already sellers.

maybe calgary in some sort of deal that involved berra or ramo coming back. course i was thinking of this more before glencross got injured.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Lehner gives the team the best chance to win.

The difference is negligible, IMO. Lehner might have a slight edge right now, but the difference between the two is slight, at best. Andy has his days, Lehner has his days.

Also: It's pretty awesome that we even have these two ridiculously good goalies, which allows us to even have this conversation in the first place.

It's like:
"Baltic caviar is the best!"
"What balderdash is this?!? CLEARLY Caspian Caviar is the best!"

Feels good, man.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
The difference is negligible, IMO. Lehner might have a slight edge right now, but the difference between the two is slight, at best. Andy has his days, Lehner has his days.

Also: It's pretty awesome that we even have these two ridiculously good goalies, which allows us to even have this conversation in the first place.

It's like:
"Baltic caviar is the best!"
"What balderdash is this?!? CLEARLY Caspian Caviar is the best!"

Feels good, man.

I can't wait until we get our defense sorted out.

Edit: Just noticed that after 16 games the Sens have scored more goals than the Penguins. 50 to 49.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Edmonton. Florida. Islanders. Carolina. Winnipeg.

Just because they might need a goalie, doesn't mean there's a market for one right now.

Carolina is paying a ton of money to Ward, they're likely to keep playing that hand until the absolutely have to make a move. They're kind of stuck.

Florida are sellers right now on goalies. They are probably still high on Markstrom long-term.

Islanders just paid a ton of organizational assets for Vanek, they might be content to roll with Nabokov this year and try to sign a UFA in the offseason.

Winnipeg? Are they done with Pavelec? And if so, are they going to make that decision now, or at the deadline? Also, are they comfortable carrying Pavelec's salary all season as a backup?

Edmonton? Psht. I have no idea what they're doing, but you'd think if they were competent, they'd have already traded for a goalie by now. Managerial incompetence is unpredictable. They super-lowballed us for Bishop, who'se to say they wouldn't do the same with Anderson?

... I'm just saying, there are plenty of reasons why, even if there are teams who could use a goalie, why the market might not be right for us to move Andy at this very moment. We have no idea what the market is like. It's easy to speculate, but it really doesn't mean anything at the end of the day if you're not privy to the actual market details.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
What happens when Lehner struggles? It is common in young unproven goalies

WhiteLight*

Just because they might need a goalie, doesn't mean there's a market for one right now.

Carolina is paying a ton of money to Ward, they're likely to keep playing that hand until the absolutely have to make a move. They're kind of stuck.

Doesn't insurance pay when they're hurt?
They can deal Anderson in the summer/when Ward comes back.

Florida are sellers right now on goalies. They are probably still high on Markstrom long-term.

Thomas isn't working. Anderson can do what Thomas was supposed to. Might be a better candidate in summer though

Islanders just paid a ton of organizational assets for Vanek, they might be content to roll with Nabokov this year and try to sign a UFA in the offseason.

Or it's sign that they're serious about compteting and they need a goalie to do that.

Winnipeg? Are they done with Pavelec? And if so, are they going to make that decision now, or at the deadline? Also, are they comfortable carrying Pavelec's salary all season as a backup?

Pavelec has been awful for a while. Imo his contract is unmovable, but that doesn't mean they can just ignore the goalie situation if they want to compete.

Edmonton? Psht. I have no idea what they're doing, but you'd think if they were competent, they'd have already traded for a goalie by now. Managerial incompetence is unpredictable. They super-lowballed us for Bishop, who'se to say they wouldn't do the same with Anderson?

Maybe someday they'll wake up

... I'm just saying, there are plenty of reasons why, even if there are teams who could use a goalie, why the market might not be right for us to move Andy at this very moment. We have no idea what the market is like. It's easy to speculate, but it really doesn't mean anything at the end of the day if you're not privy to the actual market details.

I just don't see why it'll be better at the deadline. Maybe if a bunch of goalies come back injured from the Olympics, but ??? yeah

WhiteLight*

What happens when Lehner struggles? It is common in young unproven goalies

Lunogo, Ward, Fleury, Smith, Backstrom, heck Anderson, and look at Quick. It's not exclusive to young goalies, not even close.

Lehner has everything you need to be an elite NHL goalie. All the physical skills and the mental makeup. He's not risky at all. He just needs playing time to perfect his craft, like every single young player to ever play.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Lunogo, Ward, Fleury, Smith, Backstrom, heck Anderson, and look at Quick. It's not exclusive to young goalies, not even close.

Lehner has everything you need to be an elite NHL goalie. All the physical skills and the mental makeup. He's not risky at all. He just needs playing time to perfect his craft, like every single young player to ever play.

Ya but u know those guys will bounce back we don't know much about Lehner at this level

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Doesn't insurance pay when they're hurt?
They can deal Anderson in the summer/when Ward comes back.

Thomas isn't working. Anderson can do what Thomas was supposed to. Might be a better candidate in summer though

Or it's sign that they're serious about compteting and they need a goalie to do that.

Pavelec has been awful for a while. Imo his contract is unmovable, but that doesn't mean they can just ignore the goalie situation if they want to compete.

Maybe someday they'll wake up

I just don't see why it'll be better at the deadline. Maybe if a bunch of goalies come back injured from the Olympics, but ??? yeah

Like I said, I'm not saying those are reasons there isn't a market, but for every reason why there might be one, there's a possible reason why there isn't one.

I'm not arguing that the market is dry: I'm giving hypotheticals about why right now might not be the best time to move Anderson.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We'll assume Lehner is slightly better, and more consistent. Even if this is the case, and Anderson becomes the back up, people yelling for him to be traded are neglecting one very important thing.

Are the assets that Ottawa get in return potentially worth costing them a playoff spot, or a playoff round? Aside from a trade that is so lopsided that Ottawa couldn't turn it down (which isn't likely), Anderson cannot go to an Eastern conference team.

The Wild Card spots are likely to end up going to two teams from Ottawa's division. Making every conference game important, and every division game extremely important.

For what ever return they get for him from an Eastern Conference team, they are not just trading Anderson, but also potentially rolling the dice on trading away their post season birth, and rolling the dice on trading away a round in the play offs if they end up meeting a team with the kind of Anderson who stops 50 shots in a playoff game.

As far as why teams don't roll with two goaltenders.....it's because they can't. How often does a goaltender on an entry level contract get hot? It's too expensive to carry two goaltenders on that level.

Goaltending depth is a major advantage. The last two games have clearly illustrated this. Ottawa lost Anderson at what could be called the most crucial point in their season thus far. If they didn't have depth, they would have likely lost the last two games, and the narrative would not be that the Sens win two straight and are gaining momentum, but that the season is over, and Melnyk should take the team out back with the rest of his horses.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This team is a top 4 defenceman, and maybe a top 6 forward that can drive possession on Spezza's line away from being a cup contender. Get it done Murray.

D: Ehrhoff (BUF) or Carlson (WSH)
F: Hemsky (EDM), Elias (NJD), Versteeg (FLA) or Hartnell (PHI)

Would absolutely love to get Semin, but I don't think that Melnyk would take on that contract right now despite how good he is. Semin and Spezza together would be...ridiculous.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I don't think there should be any plan to trade for another forward till they get a look at a few of the guys in Bingo. No sense in spending so much in time and resources to develop these guys and not give them a shot. Hoffman being the main guy I have in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad