Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Mike Morisson and Ray Emery qualify as well?

Emery was still young, but he wasn’t awful. Just a young backup thrown into a starters role too early because Hasek got hurt.

It also didn’t help that they played him something like 25 games in a row at one point.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Emery was still young, but he wasn’t awful. Just a young backup thrown into a starters role too early because Hasek got hurt.

It also didn’t help that they played him something like 25 games in a row at one point.
He was definitely thrust in too early, but he proved he was average at best. I couldn't believe we went in to thee playoffs with that duo and didn't at least try something else. I may have been biased though since I never liked Emery, especially in contrast to Hasek.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Absolutely. Dorion has leverage, he just signed a 3 year contract. Grow a set of balls and stand up for yourself. He's hurting his future job prospects.

Dorion has leverage? He doesn't follow his boss' orders he's going to be out of a job with nowhere to go. People aren't lining up to hire PD when he's going to create his own vision rather than be part of one that is mandated.

It's fairly simple, he's been told that trades taking on excess salary is something he cannot do. He's likely been told to sacrifice picks and prospects to save dollars. Trades taking on more salary will not be approved.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
If it's the Islanders, it'll probably be something like Greiss for Anderson, but Greiss is owed 3.75M in the second year of his contract, and arguably is less likely to bounce back than Anderson (Hence the Islanders doing it), so I would like to see OTT get an asset in that scenario.

Ottawa would save only 2.5M over the next two years with that deal....But, I think we make our team considerably worse next season since I have a lot less confidence in Greiss bouncing back than I do in Anderson. That's the kind of deal we make if we're getting back our 2019 1st and wanting to both save a bit of money regardless of the consequences relative to the amount of money, but also ensure the pick will be top 5 next season.
Yeah but he requested a trade tying our hands as usual

You can be sure the return is going to be bad

As usual

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
He was definitely thrust in too early, but he proved he was average at best. I couldn't believe we went in to thee playoffs with that duo and didn't at least try something else. I may have been biased though since I never liked Emery, especially in contrast to Hasek.

It’s a little bit different then the other examples because we never intended to go with an Emery/Morison combo. It happened because our starter got hurt. It’s not like we went into the season and said “ok, here are our two goalies for this year. Let’s hope this works out.” That would have been asinine.

Rumour is we were looking Roloson, but Edmonton got him. I don’t remember what other goalies would have been available, but yes, I agree that Emery was given the starting role too soon, but remember, we were expecting Hasek to come back. It just never happened.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Dorion has leverage? He doesn't follow his boss' orders he's going to be out of a job with nowhere to go. People aren't lining up to hire PD when he's going to create his own vision rather than be part of one that is mandated.

It's fairly simple, he's been told that trades taking on excess salary is something he cannot do. He's likely been told to sacrifice picks and prospects to save dollars. Trades taking on more salary will not be approved.
I wasn't saying anything about taking on more salary through trades, I was saying we need a new coaching staff.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Did Melnyk mandate him to sign Anderson, Burrows and Smith to those awful contracts?

No, that was all him. But here are the transactions that had cost savings in mind.

- Trading a third to get rid of Hammond
- Trading a serviceable (although not great) dman in Phaneuf for options like Gaborik to save 800K (?) a year
- Getting a lesser return on Brassard to Pitts so that Vegas could retain 40% of his salary
- Trading Zibby who was going to be getting an increase in salary for a low salary, controlled Brassard

Tell me what's worse: contracts of Anderson/Burrows/Smith for a team that will not be anywhere close to the cap or all of the bull shit that we had to give up for cost reasons.

I'm not saying PD is good at trades or that he's great a GM, but he's being judged unfairly.

Also, Smith's contract was done after scoring 25 goals while offering decent 2 way play and bringing leadership. Sure, his contract looks awful after last year, but his contract wasn't an issue when it was signed and it isn't handcuffing our organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: Senator Blutarsky

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It’s a little bit different then the other examples because we never intended to go with an Emery/Morison combo. It happened because our starter got hurt. It’s not like we went into the season and said “ok, here are our two goalies for this year. Let’s hope this works out.” That would have been asinine.

Rumour is we were looking Roloson, but Edmonton got him. I don’t remember what other goalies would have been available, but yes, I agree that Emery was given the starting role too soon, but remember, we were expecting Hasek to come back. It just never happened.
Ya fair enough, i understand the circumstances and they're definitely some bad memories. You're absolutely right that it was different, just speaking purely from a performance standpoint, they were a mess. If anything, it was more the pickup of an incompetent back up in Morisson that was the problem, he did not belong in the NHL.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Ya fair enough, i understand the circumstances and they're definitely some bad memories. You're absolutely right that it was different, just speaking purely from a performance standpoint, they were a mess. If anything, it was more the pickup of an incompetent back up in Morisson that was the problem, he did not belong in the NHL.

My memory was that Emery did allright for us after Hasek went down, but I don’t completely remember. He was just better suited to being a backup at that point. Morrison was god awful, and yes, he did not belong in the league.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
My memory was that Emery did allright for us after Hasek went down, but I don’t completely remember. He was just better suited to being a backup at that point. Morrison was god awful, and yes, he did not belong in the league.
I think Emery was okay until the playoffs and we started to realize Hasek wasn't coming back, he was enough to tread water but that was about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad