Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder if this is the yr PD makes a quantity for quality deal, he has plenty of depth to choose from? Would Colorado accept a quantity for quality deal for Landeskog?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I wonder if this is the yr PD makes a quantity for quality deal, he has plenty of depth to choose from? Would Colorado accept a quantity for quality deal for Landeskog?

How many quantitity for quality deals do you see in todays nhl?... Especially for 25 year old captains.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Unlikely I'd say.

Lando and Duchene are their best pieces they would part with. Getting quantity for quality for your better assets seems foolish.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Unlikely I'd say.

Lando and Duchene are their best pieces they would part with. Getting quantity for quality for your better assets seems foolish.

Yes, I agree. Seldom does quantity exceed the value of quality. Usually the team getting the best player wins, but not always.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
How many quantitity for quality deals do you see in todays nhl?... Especially for 25 year old captains.

I donno but I'm not sure they'll get great value for Duchene now..seems strange how they have handled the situation

Don't think Landy is being shopped

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Dorion said today that on top of giving VandeVelde a PTO that there is also a possibility that 1 or 2 more forwards will be signed to a PTO as well. So here are some potential candidates:

Jaromir Jagr, Jarome Iginla, Stephane Da Costa, Jiri Hudler, Daniel Winnik, Jordan Caron.

Also another PTO option that could be good for Bellville would be Brett Gallant. Gallant is a really entertaining fighter.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Dorion said today that on top of giving VandeVelde a PTO that there is also a possibility that 1 or 2 more forwards will be signed to a PTO as well. So here are some potential candidates:

Jaromir Jagr, Jarome Iginla, Stephane Da Costa, Jiri Hudler, Daniel Winnik, Jordan Caron.

Also another PTO option that could be good for Bellville would be Brett Gallant. Gallant is a really entertaining fighter.

If Jagr was willing to sign a PTO, I think he would have signed one by now. He's definitely waiting for a contract.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I would love to see Winnik on a PTO.

I also think Michalek could be an ideal option. He would come in with a level of relative comfort, work extremely hard and, I believe, play well with us and although I don't think there's any scenario in which we sign him, it could help us drive competition + fill vet slots while allowing Milan an opportunity to showcase his stuff.

Da Costa would also be awesome but I can't help but feel as though that ship has sailed and will never return.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
So Dorion said that there could be 1 or 2 more forwards signed to PTO after signing Vandevelde yesterday. Today they signed Brendan Woods to a PTO.

Considering the type of player that Vandevelde and Woods are here the potential candidates for the 3rd PTO signing if it occurs:

Spencer Abbott, Garret Ross, Andrew Desjardins, Samuel Henley, Brett Gallant, Lauri Korpikowski, Teddy Purcell, Ryan Carter, Adam Payrel, Boyd Gordon, Jordan Caron, Stefan Fournier, Scott Kosmachuk

I don't really get what Dorion is doing here as he is basically just inviting AHL players. Maybe he could give Gallant an invite so we at least get to see a scrap or two, but otherwise it doesn't seem like they are inviting players that have any chance to crack the roster.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I also think Michalek could be an ideal option. He would come in with a level of relative comfort, work extremely hard and, I believe, play well with us and although I don't think there's any scenario in which we sign him, it could help us drive competition + fill vet slots while allowing Milan an opportunity to showcase his stuff.

Da Costa would also be awesome but I can't help but feel as though that ship has sailed and will never return.

I think both the Da Costa and Michalek ships have sailed, and the Jagr ship is headed for the scrap heap. :)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't really get what Dorion is doing here as he is basically just inviting AHL players.

He is inviting players to make camp more competitive for our kids, guys who we don't have to worry about if they get injured, and maybe doing a favour for an agent he'll have to deal with (in some future contract negotiation with another player the agent represents) along the way. For a guy like Vandevelde, he qualifies as a "veteran", which we need to dresss a minimum of in each preseason game, so that we don't have to play a veteran we actually care about and as a result our important players don't have to risk getting an injury in a stupid pre-season game that means nothing.

These guys are just glorified furniture at training camp for our players to use. That's it. Maybe one guy impresses enough that we give him an AHL deal in Belleville to serve as a mentor for our prospects playing there. That's the most this will ever impact the organization.

It's not a big deal. Business as usual.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

You got your wish! Only issue is the travel time Minnesota.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Garrison, Jason
Sbisa, Luca
Stoner, Clayton
Schmidt, Nate
McNabb, Brayden
Merrill, Jon
Miller, Colin
Engelland, Deryk
Theodore, Shea
Reinhart, Griffin
Hunt, Brad

Vegas has 11 D on 1 way contracts. If EK looks to be out until the games in Europe, any of the Italicized names of interest?

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Garrison, Jason
Sbisa, Luca
Stoner, Clayton
Schmidt, Nate
McNabb, Brayden
Merrill, Jon
Miller, Colin
Engelland, Deryk
Theodore, Shea
Reinhart, Griffin
Hunt, Brad

Vegas has 11 D on 1 way contracts. If EK looks to be out until the games in Europe, any of the Italicized names of interest?

We have a ton of organisational depth when it comes to bottom pairing D. Phaneuf, Ceci, Oduya, Chabot, Borowiecki, Wideman, Claesson, and Harpur are already 8 defenders who should all not be out of place playing NHL minutes.

I don't think any of Vegas' extra pieces really help us and once Karlsson returns, assuming Chabot is a lock to stick in the NHL, we then would either have to carry 8D, waive whoever we acquired, or trade somebody as Harpur is our only waiver exempt D.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
We have a ton of organisational depth when it comes to bottom pairing D. Phaneuf, Ceci, Oduya, Chabot, Borowiecki, Wideman, Claesson, and Harpur are already 8 defenders who should all not be out of place playing NHL minutes.

I don't think any of Vegas' extra pieces really help us and once Karlsson returns, assuming Chabot is a lock to stick in the NHL, we then would either have to carry 8D, waive whoever we acquired, or trade somebody as Harpur is our only waiver exempt D.

Very true. Was thinking along the lines of if Vegas waives any of these guys, particularly the bottom 3 guys who make less than a mil it could be a quick pick up and waive a month later situation. But I suppose it's just more troublesome to pick one of them up.

Vegas will be lucky to get something back for them.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
So Dorion said that there could be 1 or 2 more forwards signed to PTO after signing Vandevelde yesterday. Today they signed Brendan Woods to a PTO.

Considering the type of player that Vandevelde and Woods are here the potential candidates for the 3rd PTO signing if it occurs:

Spencer Abbott, Garret Ross, Andrew Desjardins, Samuel Henley, Brett Gallant, Lauri Korpikowski, Teddy Purcell, Ryan Carter, Adam Payrel, Boyd Gordon, Jordan Caron, Stefan Fournier, Scott Kosmachuk

I don't really get what Dorion is doing here as he is basically just inviting AHL players. Maybe he could give Gallant an invite so we at least get to see a scrap or two, but otherwise it doesn't seem like they are inviting players that have any chance to crack the roster.

Desjardins is from the area and is good defensively, decent fill-in bottom 6 player that has won a cup... I would not be surprised at all if he got a PTO.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I wonder who we could get from Vegas for Englund or Harpur. Schmidt, Miller and Reinhart would be the main pieces in play, I'd suspect.

I would think about dealing one of them for Schmidt but I don't think I'd do it for the other guys (none of the three are waiver exempt). No need to further create a logjam if we're not making a clear upgrade to the team.

Desjardins is from the area and is good defensively, decent fill-in bottom 6 player that has won a cup... I would not be surprised at all if he got a PTO.

This one makes a lot of sense.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If we could get miller or Schmidt from Vegas I'm game but I doubt they trade them for that very reason

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Reinhart is going down the Gormley path. He'll get a few extra opportunities from bad teams despite it being very clear he's not an NHLer due to his former status as a blue chip defensive prospect.

We don't need to acquire defense, unless we're getting a legit #3 type guy or better. We don't need any projects or buy low candidates, we have enough will they/won't they guys crowding our depth chart right now. Even then, it's better to wait to see what we have in Chabot or Oduya before giving anything up for help that way. (Not that it's likely a #3D would even be available right now).

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No thanks to Jagr,far too old and slow .Besides the system we play isnt condusive,to having players play in specific roles in order to be effective

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Only about half the teams in the league have the cap space to reasonably sign Jagr to second line money. Teams generally like to keep a buffer of cap space to address needs throughout the season, and also a big chunk of those with the space to sign Jagr are budget teams. So that would eliminate a big chunk of teams from being able to sign him.

Let's say there are 10 teams with the budget/cap to pay Jagr 4.5M, how many does he actually want to go to (aka is Winnipeg too cold?) and then how many actually want him considering the massive risk that signing Jagr would be. Players decline massively from year to year in their late 30s, let alone their late 40s. Look at Marty St.Louis, most productive forward in the league in 2013, two years later he is done. Not to mention, Jagr's foot speed being a huge concern. Teams probably lined up to sign Jagr to a 1M per deal with performance bonuses, but it'll be hard to find someone who'll give 4.5M to a player who might end up being a useless liability if he has further declined.

....with that said I'd love OTT to sign Jagr for the novelty of it, but it doesn't make sense cap wise for Ottawa let alone budget wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad