Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
That's the goal for sure, but is there honestly a chance we get a cup during the Melnyk Era? Not bloody likely.

One goal away from the Finals last year. Double OT. How can folks claim that a cup win is impossible?

The hatred of Melnyk overwrites reality.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
If you can make the playoffs, there is always a chance.

I would think if Ottawa continues the no playoffs/playoffs trend they've been on, that Karlsson would think hard about leaving. I truly think he loves Ottawa and all that, but if Ottawa doesn't remain at least a playoff team it wouldn't shock me to see him go.

That's fair, and I pretty much agree.

Starting this season without our entire 1st pairing from last year and possibly our #2 center kinda has me believing this is going to be our typical down year.

We only made the playoffs by 4 points last year.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Starting this season without our entire 1st pairing from last year and possibly our #2 center kinda has me believing this is going to be our typical down year.

This year will be interesting to me. Starting without players is sort of a blessing and a curse. It allows an opportunity for players like White/Chabot to actually get quality ice time (obviously up to coaching on how much time). But if they don't play well, it could be a disastrous start to the season. But I do think it is also good to learn how to play without Karlsson tilting the ice so drastically in favor of Ottawa. If we could play decently without Karlsson, we'd already improve our team.

And to the point of only making it by 4 points, again very valid, but do you really expect our top 6 to struggle offensively like they did last year (I personally don't). Ryan only getting 25 its, Stone dealing with concussion symptoms for the first while, no MacArthur and add in learning a new system and no #1 goalie for a good chunk of the year (even though Condon did well). I personally see our team in a bit more positive light. I think offensively we are definitely improved and our bottom 6 is also better than last year.

The question is, how much improved are we relative to other teams, does the loss of Methot have a huge impact (or does our system or a prospect or Oduya make up for that just fine).

Which I couldn't say, the Atlantic is a difficult one to predict. Each team has significant question marks imo but each team has possibility to improve upon last year (although I think Detroit doesn't have much playoff hope).

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
One goal away from the Finals last year. Double OT. How can folks claim that a cup win is impossible?

The hatred of Melnyk overwrites reality.

Becuase it was one player who dragged the team kicking and screaming that far.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

This.

It was an unbelievably fun run, but we didn't win, and by no means did it convince me that we are actually a contender.

We are a bubble team that needs some solid luck and good health to sneak in and win a round or two, and could just as easily miss the playoffs as make them.

I actually do think EK resigns here, but if he pulls a Doughty and his main focus is to win cups, he best be moving along.

Doughty seems like a dick though. EK doesn't.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
That's fair, and I pretty much agree.

That's fair. It's also fair to say that we were either in the division lead or challenging for it the entire season until injuries devastated us during the final stretch, allowing us to comfortably "limp" in by 4 points.

All this of without our #1 goalie for the majority of the season and learning a coaches new system.

The outlook for this season can be extremely grim or very positive, all depends on how you want to look at it.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

lol wut?

many guys had a real good playoffs. Pageau, Ryan Anderson and Phaneuf to name a few

Karlsson should be our best player every night

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We are not contenders. I don't know how anyone can confidently say that. Have we done anything to improve our place in the standings? But if we make the playoffs and get some nice matchups (avoiding The elites) we can make it to the ECF again. And possibly even the cup final.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
We are not contenders. I don't know how anyone can confidently say that. Have we done anything to improve our place in the standings? But if we make the playoffs and get some nice matchups (avoiding The elites) we can make it to the ECF again. And possibly even the cup final.

I personally don't think our top 6 could be any worse. I also think we have improved our bottom six (so I think offensively we're definitely better). I think that not having to re-learn another new system is also of benefit to this team.

The biggest question is how we deal defensively as I don't think we are improved; but with a defensive minded system how much does that effect us and do we have a prospect help mask the hole Methot left.

I don't think most believe we are a cup contender. I don't think we are.
However, I don't think we are at all worse than last year, it just depends on how much other teams improve in comparison.

I feel like we are likely a bubble team to just above, but if we can make the playoffs anything can happen. There is lots of parity in the league these days.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I personally don't think our top 6 could be any worse. I also think we have improved our bottom six (so I think offensively we're definitely better). I think that not having to re-learn another new system is also of benefit to this team.

The biggest question is how we deal defensively as I don't think we are improved; but with a defensive minded system how much does that effect us and do we have a prospect help mask the hole Methot left.

I don't think most believe we are a cup contender. I don't think we are.
However, I don't think we are at all worse than last year, it just depends on how much other teams improve in comparison.

I feel like we are likely a bubble team to just above, but if we can make the playoffs anything can happen. There is lots of parity in the league these days.

I agree with you. The team is slightly better than a bubble team because of how the team played last season and in the playoffs. There are some concerns with the loss of Methot and the injuries to Karlsson and Brassard; however, there is some hope for improved play with some of the prospects making the team at some point during the season(Chabot, White, Jaros, and optimistically, Brown).

I don't see this team as a "Contender" as the team still has to perform better during the season and for several seasons before it reaches that level.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Being a regular season powerhouse is overrated.

Give me fighting for your playoff spot on the last day of the season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Along with THREE other teams.

That's actually a good margin these days.

Jeeze, talk about your debbie downer.

It's also worth pointing out that by the last game, we were locked in our position and opted to sit a lot of regulars. The regulars we did play got reduced icetime to let guys like Paul and White get icetime. We also were missing Karlsson and Methot to injuries the last couple weeks. That 4 point margin could have very easily been 6 or more.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Being a regular season powerhouse is overrated.

Give me fighting for your playoff spot on the last day of the season.

Agree with the bolded but no on the last day of the season. Give me at least 3 days of security with Toronto or Montreal in that final game ''win and your in'' spot.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

You can't be a fan of the game of ice hockey if you Believe this, and definitely not
A Senators fan if you have no respect for the players on team (Pageau, Methot, Anderson, Turris, Ryan, Mac, Dion, Brassard, Neil, Smith, Dzingel, Pyatt, Stone)

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I enjoyed the run last year. There was a time I thought we would beat Pittsburgh, we where just 1 goal away from doing so. Don't know why so many are downplaying that run.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Agree with the bolded but no on the last day of the season. Give me at least 3 days of security with Toronto or Montreal in that final game ''win and your in'' spot.
Agreed ,make the playoffs .By being a good team all season long :nod:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The sens went through a ton of adversity and injuries and still made it in. I have no idea why there is so much negativity in here.

We literally had our number 1 goaltender come in and out of the lineup cause his wife had cancer. Our franchise player played on one leg. Ceci broke his hand and Ryan had ongoing hand injuries. Stone also went down with a leg injury and Methot had his finger sliced off. Macarthur we lost in training camp due to concussions . This team also took time to get used to the system

Most teams would not be able to recover from that but these guys did and made it in and made a solid run. If we can stay healthy we are a good team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The sens went through a ton of adversity and injuries and still made it in. I have no idea why there is so much negativity in here.

We literally had our number 1 goaltender come in and out of the lineup cause his wife had cancer. Our franchise player played on one left. Ceci broke his hand and Ryan had ongoing hand injuries. Stone also went down with a leg injury and Methot had his finger sliced off. Macarthur we lost in training camp due to concussions

Most teams would not be able to recover from that but these guys did and made it in and made a solid run. If we can stay healthy we are a good team.

Hoffman also had a really slow start as he battled a groin strain from training camp if I recall. Didn't really show his speed for much of the season. 12 pts in his first 20 games (49 pts pace) , 49 in his last 54 games (74 pts pace).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad