Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'd do the 2019 1st vs Puljujarvi at this point. Still can't figure out what exactly the Sens are doing though... If we are selling off or trying to build a winner.. What's the time frame? it all seems schizo to me. Would Dzingel not be part of trying to win at ~5 aav; or at least be competitive while grooming younger players .. Or are we tearing it all down and getting high picks; and finishing bottom 10 for the next 3 -4 years .. With Stone and Duchene and some incremental improvement we are still a fragile team, with no depth.

I think we are trying to maximize assets while keeping just enough star power to sell tickets, because even if we do a proper rebuild, half way through it's going to hit a brick wall if we aren't able to spend enough money to keep all the players we develop once their ELCs/non-arbitration RFA years are up.

It's being sold as a 3-5 year rebuild. The only way that's true, is if after year 3 there is a change in ownership commitment and we can spend much closer to the cap ceiling.

Like always, it'll be one step forward, two steps back so long as we cannot spend.

We have a limit of what we can spend, and it seems like we're hoping to enter a situation where we commit almost half of our budget to three players in Ryan, Stone, and Duchene. That puts us in a position where we can't retain secondary players like Dzingel, Ceci, Anderson, etc.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's laughable that Chiarelli's master plan was to deal Hall for a d man and have Lucic fill Hall's role. Now all he's got is an underwhelming defensive d man and arguably the worst contract in the league on a complete plug. Talk about a plan blowing up in your face.

And look at the return on the Eberle trade ... I mean now they need a top 6 forward and all they got for him was chaff

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think we are trying to maximize assets while keeping just enough star power to sell tickets, because even if we do a proper rebuild, half way through it's going to hit a brick wall if we aren't able to spend enough money to keep all the players we develop once their ELCs/non-arbitration RFA years are up.

It's being sold as a 3-5 year rebuild. The only way that's true, is if after year 3 there is a change in ownership commitment and we can spend much closer to the cap ceiling.

Like always, it'll be one step forward, two steps back so long as we cannot spend.

We have a limit of what we can spend, and it seems like we're hoping to enter a situation where we commit almost half of our budget to three players in Ryan, Stone, and Duchene. That puts us in a position where we can't retain secondary players like Dzingel, Ceci, Anderson, etc.

So more BS with a fn hope and a prayer of success in other words... Get back to bubble is the rebuild plan; especially if Melnyk is still around.. I'm psyched if you can't tell.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So more BS with a fn hope and a prayer of success in other words... Get back to bubble is the rebuild plan; especially if Melnyk is still around.. I'm psyched if you can't tell.
Yep takes the wind out of the fanbase...."Here are some great new young players"...Enjoy them for a awhile.......Then "Here are some great new young players"

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
I really hope that Pierre Dorion can prey on Chiarelli before PC gets fired...

To EDM:
- Dzingle, Ceci, PIT 3rd 2019

To OTT:
- Spooner, Puljujarvi, 1st 2019 (unprotected)

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

To EDM:

To OTT:
That would be something,the Oil would still need more cap dumped though to facilitate it

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
And look at the return on the Eberle trade ... I mean now they need a top 6 forward and all they got for him was chaff
It's a ridiculous series of poor evaluations. He is one GM I'm shocked has not been canned. I'd be scared if I were an Edmonton fan, since he'll likely get one last shot to try to salvage his job at the deadline.

Somehow he's now given away the top 2 superstar picks from the same draft.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Spooner makes 3.1M next season, Condon 3.0M. So from that perspective it comes down to would the Senators rather pay Condon 3 million or Spooner 3.1 million.

Having Condon is a net negative because there is a finite amount of time and resources a team can invest into developing goalies, and he's at a point where he's going to need a significant investment in him to return to form. Given he's a year away from UFA, and his ceiling isn't all that high, it doesn't make sense to keep him around next season if we can deal him for a forward. Even if Spooner fails, it's a lot easier to tuck a forward away deep in the lineup or somewhere in the minors and not have it take away from our ability to invest in a different forwards development.

A complication might be if Condon is currently being covered by insurance. The Sens might be unwilling to make this move if that is the case because they'd be adding salary. Condon also makes 600k less than Spooner this season.

Dzingel+Condon (LTIR) for Spooner+(2019 1st or Puljujarvi) would alleviate some of those issues.

First thing I thought when I saw Spooner on waivers was a trade. And this trade would make me happy as as a sens fan. I'd rather pay Spooner than Condon. And the waivers would allow him to play in Belleville for the rest of the year and hopefully find his game and light it up down there. Worst case, he stays with the bsens.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

To EDM:

To OTT:

We would have to take Talbot.

Their cap situation is very complicated depending on what happens with Sekera and his LTIR.

If I recall, Sekera is expected back before the playoffs. If Sekera comes back, they are about 1.5-2 million over the salary cap ceiling. So a big blockbuster trade not only has to be cap in/cap out, but it needs to give them an extra ceiling of cap space to account for that.

In that case;

Dzingel 1.800
Ceci 4.300
Total=6.100M

Spooner 3.100
Puljujarvi 0.925
Total=4.025M

(Edmonton loses over 2M of cap space, they are now almost 4M in the hole when Sekera comes off LTIR)

The way to solve this would be for us to take Talbot who has an expiring 4.166M cap hit. Assuming Condon is on LTIR for the rest of the season, they could take Condon and keep him assigned on LTIR. It would end up being extremely close as they'd have to call up a backup goalie to take Talbot's spot. In which case, they may have to roll with a 22 player roster, which is a disadvantage.

tl;dr is that they may need to send Talbot our way as well to make a deal like that work.

Reactions: Riceroni

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
It's incredible that with the resources available to Edmonton, they are still more ****ed than we are.

I'm not sure how Peter Chiarelli gets out of bed every day.

The moves they made have some logic to them, but they completely fail at pro scouting so it causes the moves to fall flat.....That feels extremely relatable as a Senators fan.....

Reactions: topshelf15
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino