Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If the fanbase ain’t willing to go above $8 million for Duchene or $9 million for Stone - WHY NOT?

This fanbase has been robbed of talent and Alfie by shortchanging the elite players the team has had and horrible cap management by giving contracts to overevaluated talent the organization fell in love with like Weircoche, Cowen, Greening.

We have 2 legitimate stars in Ottawa but people want Poo-Jeans Melnyck to save an extra million for his pocket after he’s cheaped out on every single thing the franchise has ever done.

This Fan base isn’t NHL ready, don’t believe or don’t want to compete in a big boys market place. The small town mentality that Muckler said has to disappear for the team to win is back.

Whatever swagger is, the Ottawa Senators fans don’t have it.

At this point, I'd pay whatever to keep Stone so that he can be a veteran anchor who'll captain us through a full tear down.

I've outlined it in other posts, but I don't think it's strategically prudent to keep both of them when we won't spend enough to win anyways, and timing+circumstances are perfect for a full teardown.

It's not really about the cap figure for me, I just don't think it makes sense to do if we're not going to spend to retain players beyond those two.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
Stone will sign 8 years at $8.5M/per
Duchene will sign 8 years at $8.25M/per

Dzingel/Ceci and Anderson will be traded.

Nilsson will be signed to a two year extension at $3.0M.

Reactions: Crosside

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Why do we care how much their cap hit is? Uncle Eugene will never spend to the cap anyways
Its not about the cap. It's about winning. There's a budget and we need to make the best team possible within it. If we hadn't signed ryan perhaps we would still have erik, for example. Toronto would have already wormed their way out of that contract somehow. But for us, dollars need to be closely managed. As much as i don't like it, trading them for futures might be the best option long term. Being a "farm team" to the nhl as some call it, (trading stars for futures once they need to get paid), might be a more viable option for winning for a budget team. Win through young elc stars, a small veteran core of character guys, and by selecting more draft picks than every other team, year after year.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Its not about the cap. It's about winning. There's a budget and we need to make the best team possible within it. If we hadn't signed ryan perhaps we would still have erik, for example. Toronto would have already wormed their way out of that contract somehow. But for us, dollars need to be closely managed. As much as i don't like it, trading them for futures might be the best option long term. Being a "farm team" to the nhl as some call it, (trading stars for futures once they need to get paid), might be a more viable option for winning for a budget team. Win through young elc stars, a small veteran core of character guys, and by selecting more draft picks than every other team, year after year.
So the exact same team as we always had...And by being this you always get less value in return,as teams know that keeping a budget is your greatest concern....Nobody is saying be a cap team every year,but you need to be able to allow the youth you have developed take a run ...Not cut it off at the knees everytime you may get close to the budget

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Gotta make smart hockey decisions for this to happen and Pierre Dorion is not the guy I want to trust making these moves. The biggest reason why I want these guys to re-sign is so we don't have to deal with yet another "Pierre Dorion trade return" times two (Duch & Stone)

Reactions: DrEasy

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Gotta make smart hockey decisions for this to happen and Pierre Dorion is not the guy I want to trust making these moves. The biggest reason why I want these guys to re-sign is so we don't have to deal with yet another "Pierre Dorion trade return" times two (Duch & Stone)
We gent bent over because everybody knows we cant sign and keep our big stars,and are more concerned about keeping to the budget than actually trying to build and sustain a winning team

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I would have been pissed if Dorion offered Duchene 8x8 last summer or even start of the season. Would have been a horrific GM move.

Now it is very fair after we saw Duchene can repeat his performance and play at a high level for longer stretch.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Teravainen signs 5 years 5.4 million. It's not a perfect comparable to Dzingel, but there are some similarities.

I could be mistaken, but I believe he has two RFA years left. If so, it's 2 RFA years/3 UFA years. This is the big divergence from Dzingel who is a pending UFA.

Teravainen's progression production wise with Carolina was a bit similar to Dzingel prior to this season, He was a 40ish point guy, then had a big breakthrough 60+ point season last year. The difference being, Teravainen is proving himself to be a top 6 producer again this season since he's on pace for 60+ points after a considerable amount of the season has been played.

Teravainen is more proven production wise, but his contract has RFA years in it. Both those pros and cons probably help offset each other and make this a fairly decent comparable for Dzingel.

He's not extending today, we're probably trading him, but with the info we have today something in the 5x5 range give or take a few 100k seems appropriate. A lot can change based on how well he does with his new team during the run to the playoffs if he is traded.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I stand by it! "Lowball" may have been an exaggeration but there is no doubt that he will get more than 8 mill per, based on his performance this season and the inflated contracts owners are dispensing. Have to agree to disagree.

Ok at least you admit that "lowball" was an exaggeration but do you know what it means? Lowball means that it would be way under the realistic demand or ending result. If so, how much do you think Duchene will sign for? I think we all expect him to sign a bit over 8.0 per year, but do you think he's going to get 10 M$ per year? Even if you think he's going to get 9 M$ per year, 8 M$ would not be a lowball offer at all.

I don't know if you have ever negotiated anything, but you never throw your highest offer right away, that's simply not how you negotiate. That's not the way I ended up with very good deals on a few houses, because paying under market value helps you to make a better profit in the end. But there's a line where you can't go too low because the seller might not even counter-offer if they consider it "insulting".

In the case here, I don't think anybody will find that 8 M$ offer to Duchene's camp anywhere close to "insulting". Anyway, I don't know how much he wants but if he wants over 9 M$ per season, then I hope we trade him. I think NHL teams should be ready to overpay and end up having a few overpaid players because it's better than not having them and you need to spend to be competitive. In the end, and in a large part because of the arena and all the events you can have there, having a NHL team should still be quite profitable.

Anyway, here's the most recent forwards heavy contracts (name, age, years, cap hit)

Tyler Seguin 26 8 $9,850,000
Max Pacioretty 29 4 $7,000,000
Blake Wheeler 32 5 $8,250,000
Mark Stone 26 1 $7,350,000
Nikita Kucherov 25 8 $9,500,000
James van Riemsdyk 29 5 $7,000,000
Logan Couture 29 8 $8,000,000
John Tavares 27 7 $11,000,000
Evander Kane 26 7 $7,000,000
Jack Eichel 20 8 $10,000,000
Leon Draisaitl 21 8 $8,500,000
Ryan Johansen 24 8 $8,000,000
Connor McDavid 20 8 $12,500,000
Evgeny Kuznetsov 25 8 $7,800,000

How much do you think Duchene is worth? I know he's been productive for a dozen months but he was "Turris-like" productive the 4 years before. Turris signed 6 x 6 when he got traded.

Teravainen signs 5 years 5.4 million. It's not a perfect comparable to Dzingel, but there are some similarities.

I could be mistaken, but I believe he has two RFA years left. If so, it's 2 RFA years/3 UFA years. This is the big divergence from Dzingel who is a pending UFA.

Teravainen's progression production wise with Carolina was a bit similar to Dzingel prior to this season, He was a 40ish point guy, then had a big breakthrough 60+ point season last year. The difference being, Teravainen is proving himself to be a top 6 producer again this season since he's on pace for 60+ points after a considerable amount of the season has been played.

Teravainen is more proven production wise, but his contract has RFA years in it. Both those pros and cons probably help offset each other and make this a fairly decent comparable for Dzingel.

He's not extending today, we're probably trading him, but with the info we have today something in the 5x5 range give or take a few 100k seems appropriate. A lot can change based on how well he does with his new team during the run to the playoffs if he is traded.

Another reason to think the 5 years x 5.5 I had for Dzingel in my last post was a good expectation.

Dzingel ~ 5.5 per
Duchene ~ 8.5 per
Stone ~ 9.0 per

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If the fanbase ain’t willing to go above $8 million for Duchene or $9 million for Stone - WHY NOT?

This fanbase has been robbed of talent and Alfie by shortchanging the elite players the team has had and horrible cap management by giving contracts to overevaluated talent the organization fell in love with like Weircoche, Cowen, Greening.

We have 2 legitimate stars in Ottawa but people want Poo-Jeans Melnyck to save an extra million for his pocket after he’s cheaped out on every single thing the franchise has ever done.

This Fan base isn’t NHL ready, don’t believe or don’t want to compete in a big boys market place. The small town mentality that Muckler said has to disappear for the team to win is back.

Whatever swagger is, the Ottawa Senators fans don’t have it.

It is much more gratifying to be able to **** off to nice contracts than to retain talent.

Average fans claim to not like perpetual rebuilds but won't accept the sacrifices necessary to get out of it :laugh:

If it ain't optimal, it ain't good enough for me is classic entitlement syndrome.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Great term for the Canes on a good young player.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Yanni Gourde got 5.16m x 6 yrs after one great year

Zucker signed a 5.5m x 5 yr contract after a similar progression as Dzingel - 23pts to 47 pts to 64pts.

Henrique signed a 5.85m x 5yr deal that kicks in next offseason... he has had 6 yrs of 40-51 pts

Neal got 5.75mil x 5yrs... coming off a 25 goal 44pt season but with a history of production.... 10 straight years with over 20 goals

Josh Bailey got 5mil x 6 and he posted 56pts the year before and finished that year with 71pts

So, I think you are about right... maybe a little lower, maybe a little higher... I'm guessing 5-7 years and 4.75-5.25 million

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Great term for the Canes on a good young player.

Yes.

They made a fantastic trade to acquire him as well. They got him for a late 2nd and future 3rd because they were willing to take a slight cap dump. If we clean house, those are the kind of deals we need to be looking at. Although, a lot of it is about being in the right place at the right time, as they were when Chicago was pressed to the cap and needed to try to keep winning.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Ok at least you admit that "lowball" was an exaggeration but do you know what it means? Lowball means that it would be way under the realistic demand or ending result. If so, how much do you think Duchene will sign for? I think we all expect him to sign a bit over 8.0 per year, but do you think he's going to get 10 M$ per year? Even if you think he's going to get 9 M$ per year, 8 M$ would not be a lowball offer at all.

I don't know if you have ever negotiated anything, but you never throw your highest offer right away, that's simply not how you negotiate. That's not the way I ended up with very good deals on a few houses, because paying under market value helps you to make a better profit in the end. But there's a line where you can't go too low because the seller might not even counter-offer if they consider it "insulting".

In the case here, I don't think anybody will find that 8 M$ offer to Duchene's camp anywhere close to "insulting". Anyway, I don't know how much he wants but if he wants over 9 M$ per season, then I hope we trade him. I think NHL teams should be ready to overpay and end up having a few overpaid players because it's better than not having them and you need to spend to be competitive. In the end, and in a large part because of the arena and all the events you can have there, having a NHL team should still be quite profitable.

Anyway, here's the most recent forwards heavy contracts (name, age, years, cap hit)

Tyler Seguin 26 8 $9,850,000
Max Pacioretty 29 4 $7,000,000
Blake Wheeler 32 5 $8,250,000
Mark Stone 26 1 $7,350,000
Nikita Kucherov 25 8 $9,500,000
James van Riemsdyk 29 5 $7,000,000
Logan Couture 29 8 $8,000,000
John Tavares 27 7 $11,000,000
Evander Kane 26 7 $7,000,000
Jack Eichel 20 8 $10,000,000
Leon Draisaitl 21 8 $8,500,000
Ryan Johansen 24 8 $8,000,000
Connor McDavid 20 8 $12,500,000
Evgeny Kuznetsov 25 8 $7,800,000

How much do you think Duchene is worth? I know he's been productive for a dozen months but he was "Turris-like" productive the 4 years before. Turris signed 6 x 6 when he got traded.

Another reason to think the 5 years x 5.5 I had for Dzingel in my last post was a good expectation.

Dzingel ~ 5.5 per
Duchene ~ 8.5 per
Stone ~ 9.0 per

Turris arguably took a discount to go to Nashville. 6 x 6 with no bonuses, no front loaded cash, and no trade protection. So long as he had a season in line with his previous levels of production, on the open market he likely could have gotten 7x7 with a full NTC and bonus money. A 32 year old Tyler Bozak got an AAV only 1M less than Turris.

A 1C in today's NHL is worth a floor of 8 million. Maybe more now that we know the cap is probably going up to 83 million pending the NHLPA's escalator.

Logan Couture was signed for 8 x 8, Tyler Seguin was signed for 8 x 9.85. That gives a nice range for Duchene right now. He's producing more than Couture (although some people might argue Couture is the better overall C, but production matters most), and he's historically not produced anywhere near as much or as consistently as Seguin.

Dreger and Mckenzie have both predicted that the ball park for Duchene is between 8-9 million. I think that is the right idea in terms of what he would sign for if the Senators retain him.

If he goes to July 1st as a UFA, you can throw that 8-9 million out the window. At that point, other than Tavares, he's the most valuable free agent we've seen in years. I could see Duchene getting 10 or 11 million from the right team, although similar to Tavares he might prioritize signing somewhere that is the right fit and taking less money from his chosen team. Tavares was offered something like 12 or 13 million from San Jose but chose 11 in Toronto.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Justin Falk on waivers

Spooner and Ty Rattie too... Rattie would be an interesting pickup but I think with how we've been playing they wouldnt wanna take anyone out of the lineup

If they do pick him up I feel like a trade would need to be coming to make room

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Justin Falk on waivers

Spooner and Ty Rattie too... Rattie would be an interesting pickup but I think with how we've been playing they wouldnt wanna take anyone out of the lineup

Glad to hear on Falk. He should clear and go to Belleville. Wolanin has more blue sky.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Justin Falk on waivers

As always when overpaid guys get waived, it could be a precursor to a trade. Maybe Dzingel+Condon (LTIR) for Spooner+Asset (Hopefully 1st). Or maybe something simpler like Condon for Spooner. I'll repost what I wrote in the main board thread....

One idea I've had that would be win/win would be Spooner to Ottawa for Mike Condon. This is assuming Mike Condon is out for the season. Condon being on LTIR helps EDM manage their cap this season, and his actual cap hit is lower than Spooner's cap hit. Spooner's salary next year is about the same as Condon's salary.

The Senators probably prefer Spooner as a reclamation forward to wasting a goalie spot in the org trying to rehab Condon's game when he'll be a UFA with no future in the organization anyways. It's much easier to gamble on a forward getting back on track because there are so many more spots. Putting time and effort into getting Condon back on track means taking time away from Gustavsson, Hogberg, and possibly Daccord if he signs.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
As always when overpaid guys get waived, it could be a precursor to a trade. Maybe Dzingel+Condon (LTIR) for Spooner+Asset (Hopefully 1st). Or maybe something simpler like Condon for Spooner. I'll repost what I wrote in the main board thread....

One idea I've had that would be win/win would be Spooner to Ottawa for Mike Condon. This is assuming Mike Condon is out for the season. Condon being on LTIR helps EDM manage their cap this season, and his actual cap hit is lower than Spooner's cap hit. Spooner's salary next year is about the same as Condon's salary.

The Senators probably prefer Spooner as a reclamation forward to wasting a goalie spot in the org trying to rehab Condon's game when he'll be a UFA with no future in the organization anyways. It's much easier to gamble on a forward getting back on track because there are so many more spots. Putting time and effort into getting Condon back on track means taking time away from Gustavsson, Hogberg, and possibly Daccord if he signs.

Interesting thought... I could definitely see something like this happening. I do think if Spooner clears he will be dealt with retention, some people have floated the idea of Spooner for Weise, I could see your deal just as well though... especially the one with just Condon

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Interesting thought... I could definitely see something like this happening. I do think if Spooner clears he will be dealt with retention, some people have floated the idea of Spooner for Weise, I could see your deal just as well though... especially the one with just Condon

Spooner makes 3.1M next season, Condon 3.0M. So from that perspective it comes down to would the Senators rather pay Condon 3 million or Spooner 3.1 million.

Having Condon is a net negative because there is a finite amount of time and resources a team can invest into developing goalies, and he's at a point where he's going to need a significant investment in him to return to form. Given he's a year away from UFA, and his ceiling isn't all that high, it doesn't make sense to keep him around next season if we can deal him for a forward. Even if Spooner fails, it's a lot easier to tuck a forward away deep in the lineup or somewhere in the minors and not have it take away from our ability to invest in a different forwards development.

A complication might be if Condon is currently being covered by insurance. The Sens might be unwilling to make this move if that is the case because they'd be adding salary. Condon also makes 600k less than Spooner this season.

Dzingel+Condon (LTIR) for Spooner+(2019 1st or Puljujarvi) would alleviate some of those issues.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Lol Edmonton. Trade Eberle for waiver fodder, trade Hall for a mediocre defenceman, sign Lucic to one of the worst contracts in the league. At least we have one other team that matches our incompetence.

Reactions: DJB

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Spooner makes 3.1M next season, Condon 3.0M. So from that perspective it comes down to would the Senators rather pay Condon 3 million or Spooner 3.1 million.

Having Condon is a net negative because there is a finite amount of time and resources a team can invest into developing goalies, and he's at a point where he's going to need a significant investment in him to return to form. Given he's a year away from UFA, and his ceiling isn't all that high, it doesn't make sense to keep him around next season if we can deal him for a forward. Even if Spooner fails, it's a lot easier to tuck a forward away deep in the lineup or somewhere in the minors and not have it take away from our ability to invest in a different forwards development.

A complication might be if Condon is currently being covered by insurance. The Sens might be unwilling to make this move if that is the case because they'd be adding salary. Condon also makes 600k less than Spooner this season.

Dzingel+Condon (LTIR) for Spooner+(2019 1st or Puljujarvi) would alleviate some of those issues.

I'd do the 2019 1st vs Puljujarvi at this point. Still can't figure out what exactly the Sens are doing though... If we are selling off or trying to build a winner.. What's the time frame? it all seems schizo to me. Would Dzingel not be part of trying to win at ~5 aav; or at least be competitive while grooming younger players .. Or are we tearing it all down and getting high picks; and finishing bottom 10 for the next 3 -4 years .. With Stone and Duchene and some incremental improvement we are still a fragile team, with no depth.

Reactions: topshelf15

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Lol Edmonton. Trade Eberle for waiver fodder, trade Hall for a mediocre defenceman, sign Lucic to one of the worst contracts in the league. At least we have one other team that matches our incompetence.
It's laughable that Chiarelli's master plan was to deal Hall for a d man and have Lucic fill Hall's role. Now all he's got is an underwhelming defensive d man and arguably the worst contract in the league on a complete plug. Talk about a plan blowing up in your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->