Rumor: Trade Rumors & Proposal Thread: Who Wouldn't Want Ham On it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Teams don't trade the established talent on the back end unless it's for a stupid overpay. Jones is the closest thing you're going to get likely, and he's closing in on 200 NHL games so he's not exactly a rookie.

Point is: he doesn't fill a particular need right now. And if he doesn't fill a need right now, why burn an asset to get him? Look at other options.

Depth on the blue line is more important than depth down the middle, as shown by the Blackhawks

Wut? They won the cup last year with strong depth up the middle while using basically two D pairs.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Point is: he doesn't fill a particular need right now. And if he doesn't fill a need right now, why burn an asset to get him? Look at other options.

Wut? They won the cup last year with strong depth up the middle while using basically two D pairs.
What? They had Toews and then average for the rest of the centers. At least as long as those centers were there. They won the cup because of their top 4 d and Toews and Kane.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
People have to look at it this way. As good Crosby-Malkin-Staal was who we have something similar to McDavid-Drai-RNH really only won one cup. I prefer Chicago's approach in that they established their D-core early. Keith-Seabrook-Hjalmarsson is what I think is comparable to Jones-Nurse-Klef in terms of potential. They were able to recognize who they were going with moving forward and won 3 cups. Sure they had Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Saad, and to an extent Ladd and Buff. But they also never had a #2C. They were able to fill in the wingers with free agents and prospects because they had the right core of players. Toews also came into the league without a #1C to mentor him and play the heavy minutes. So you have to all yourself is RNH is necessary when you have Drai and McDavid already doing the heavy lifting?

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
What? They had Toews and then average for the rest of the centers. At least as long as those centers were there. They won the cup because of their top 4 d and Toews and Kane.

I simply don't see how a team that basically leaned on four guys on the blueline for the entire playoffs demonstrates the importance of depth unless we have different ideas about what that term means.

McDeathbyCheerios*

People have to look at it this way. As good Crosby-Malkin-Staal was who we have something similar to McDavid-Drai-RNH really only won one cup. I prefer Chicago's approach in that they established their D-core early. Keith-Seabrook-Hjalmarsson is what I think is comparable to Jones-Nurse-Klef in terms of potential. They were able to recognize who they were going with moving forward and won 3 cups. Sure they had Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Saad, and to an extent Ladd and Buff. But they also never had a #2C. They were able to fill in the wingers with free agents and prospects because they had the right core of players. Toews also came into the league without a #1C to mentor him and play the heavy minutes. So you have to all yourself is RNH is necessary when you have Drai and McDavid already doing the heavy lifting?
I see this too.

Hall is our Kane
McDavid is our Toews
And Drai? Drai is that fabled 2c that Chicago has been searching for forever. Or maybe Hossa

Nurse is our Keith, Klefbom is our Hammer... We just need our Seabrook.

No I'm not saying they are as good yet don't freak out guys.

What I'm saying is we need to follow the Chicago model.

3 forwards, 3 defense. Find good complimentary guys that can be cheap to fill in the rest.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I simply don't see how a team that basically leaned on four guys on the blueline for the entire playoffs demonstrates the importance of depth unless we have different ideas about what that term means.
They had 4 guys that all were capable of playing heavy minutes. That is top end depth.

When you have 4 d that can all play 25 minutes a night if needed, then having 2 guys that play 10 is fine.

It's top end depth, its still a form of depth. When one pairing is not rolling the second one can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad