News Article: Trade Rumors: Elliotte Friedman Speculates on Potential Athanasiou Trade With Hurricanes

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think you do this pretty easily if youre Detroit. Faulk is 25 and has 3ish years under his belt playing at the level of a top pairing defender. The types of guys that are very hard to find in the NHL. I think Athanasiou is solid but the only reason this might be entertained is because of Faulks down year. The last 3 years no one in Carolina considers this. The Canes have really good young D so thts the only reason they consider moving a guy with as many good seasons as Faulk.

Losing Athanasiou would hurt, but for the potential return of a top pairing dman I take the risk. Especially when that D man is 25 years old

Reactions: jkutswings

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Sorry I don't buy that Justin Faulk isn't a top line defender. The Canes have an impressive back-end and are distributing ice time more evenly. Should that factor into his value, sure. We also live in a world where we are chasing a 25 year old US Olympian at our worst position with a sub 50 point pace guy... I know he is exciting, but this is a move we should heavily consider.

I like watching AA, he is exciting. I understand those that just like the excitement and entertainment value he brings. But with Faulk in the building we have an important building block that helps our young guys slot into the lineup and develop better. He and Hronek can solidify our right side for the next couple years at least. He is an ideal trading chip if we don't like what we see and don't extend him.

But imagine we could enter next season with Cholowski, Faulk - Hronek early callup or starting depending on his summer and our potential top 10 draft pick probably a year away. That D is all sub 26, how different does that group feel. If we hit the Dahlin lottery lookout while making this acquistion our group changes overnight.

Faulk is the man. Besides being an Olympian he's been an NHL all-star and team MVP. This trade would be an absolute steal. Watching a couple games yeah Faulk to me looks kind of heavy the last two seasons, but the guy is studly and should have YEARS of quality hockey left in him.

It's almost too good to be true. Whatever reasonable add the Wings have to jump at this opportunity. As said we probably missed an opportunity on Gus or Tats to help improve the D in a meaningful way. The Wings must be aware of making the same mistake twice. This would be one of the few signings of the last years I really agree with. Do it as a farewell gift Kenny!

We can rebuild with a full team of young players but you've got to have the quality talent to inspire and lead them. Faulk is the perfect individual to bridge the gap. 5.5 is a great price.

Reactions: jkutswings

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I think you do this pretty easily if youre Detroit. Faulk is 25 and has 3ish years under his belt playing at the level of a top pairing defender. The types of guys that are very hard to find in the NHL. I think Athanasiou is solid but the only reason this might be entertained is because of Faulks down year. The last 3 years no one in Carolina considers this. The Canes have really good young D so thts the only reason they consider moving a guy with as many good seasons as Faulk.

Losing Athanasiou would hurt, but for the potential return of a top pairing dman I take the risk. Especially when that D man is 25 years old

Maybe they consider it because Faulk has been awful this year.
Maybe they know why.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
How do you explain 4 5 on 5 points all year?
Doesn't matter. The reasoning a lot of people on this board use is that any player who's had past success on a poor team and has declined will be able to regain their scoring touch in Detroit. We saw this with Tyler Myers in Buffalo. Many claimed he would rebound in Detroit, become a true #1 defenseman and be a Norris trophy threat for the next decade. Oops.

Despite being a career negative player and never actually contributing to success in Carolina, many here will suggest in Detroit Faulk will become a 50 point defenseman (or at least have that expectation). In only one of his seven career seasons has Faulk nearly hit 50 points. He is what he is at this point. A change of scenery isn't going to help.

The fact that he's even available should tell you all you need to know. If they're determined to trade AA I'd much rather get a prospect back than Mike Green 2.0.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
On a bad trajectory (with only one really impressive season in his NHL career), -100 career, gone from untouchable to potentially traded for inconsistant scoring winger?

What’s not to like? /s

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

They aren't scoring off the rush? This is a case where the eye test suffices. He's still a damn good player. I admit I don't check for the Canes much but have always enjoyed Faulk. He's far stronger than say DeKeyser who is shakier than a twig in a storm, and makes .5 mil less. Also 2 more seasons is the ideal timeline for when the prospects are supposed to have arrived. Who do we expect to mentor Hronek and Cholowski, Ericsson and Daley?

Do fans consider AA a core figure now or in the future? He doesn't exactly fit the Red Wings mold. If Mantha is untouchable then someone has to be expendable. Rebuild or not they have to do something to address the horrid state of the defense. This isn't about being competitive now but rather making smart decisions that have a hope of increasing value.

Would people rather AA, Faulk, or a draft pick?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
They aren't scoring off the rush? This is a case where the eye test suffices. He's still a damn good player. I admit I don't check for the Canes much but have always enjoyed Faulk. He's far stronger than say DeKeyser who is shakier than a twig in a storm, and makes .5 mil less. Also 2 more seasons is the ideal timeline for when the prospects are supposed to have arrived. Who do we expect to mentor Hronek and Cholowski, Ericsson and Daley?

Do fans consider AA a core figure now or in the future? He doesn't exactly fit the Red Wings mold. If Mantha is untouchable then someone has to be expendable. Rebuild or not they have to do something to address the horrid state of the defense. This isn't about being competitive now but rather making smart decisions that have a hope of increasing value.

No he's not a core player, AA has regressed this season compared to his first two partial seasons. All the advanced stats say he's not playing nearly as well (relative term) as he did, with regression in point shares (hockey's closest version of WAR), Corsi and Fenwick. Even the eye test, when he's not having a good stretch he's just horrid most of the time on the ice. There is a reason he has the worst +/- on the team.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

I don't watch Carolina games except when they're playing Detroit because I'm not f***ing insane.

So I can't speak for the eye test.

What I can tell you is that he has 3 goals and one assist at 5 on 5 this year.

His production is lowest on the Canes and lower than any Red Wing.

So I'd definitely want an explanation before pulling the trigger.

Reactions: kliq

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Doesn't matter. The reasoning a lot of people on this board use is that any player who's had past success on a poor team and has declined will be able to regain their scoring touch in Detroit. We saw this with Tyler Myers in Buffalo. Many claimed he would rebound in Detroit, become a true #1 defenseman and be a Norris trophy threat for the next decade. Oops.

Despite being a career negative player and never actually contributing to success in Carolina, many here will suggest in Detroit Faulk will become a 50 point defenseman (or at least have that expectation). In only one of his seven career seasons has Faulk nearly hit 50 points. He is what he is at this point. A change of scenery isn't going to help.

The fact that he's even available should tell you all you need to know. If they're determined to trade AA I'd much rather get a prospect back than Mike Green 2.0.

Well, I don't know what the deal is with Faulk. What I do know is that digging a little deeper, this year's numbers are concerning.

Just taking it on faith that he's going to improve.... well, it didn't work with Stephen Weiss.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Well, I don't know what the deal is with Faulk. What I do know is that digging a little deeper, this year's numbers are concerning.

Just taking it on faith that he's going to improve.... well, it didn't work with Stephen Weiss.
Agreed. This fanbase has a severe case of overrating d-men on other teams. Faulk had one good season? Has to be a top-pairing guy! Maybe he rebounds in Detroit, but on the surface there’s no reason to think he’d be in a much better position here.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Something to keep in mind is that Faulk’s goal scoring is what drives his offensive production. His assist numbers are down from their peak, but they’re not out of line with his career average. Faulk is not going to put up huge assist totals on anything other than a top tier offensive club; he can move the puck well, but when it comes to the offensive zone, he’s a shooter, not a playmaker.

Faulk’s shooting percentage is out of line with his career average. This season, he’s shooting ~2.6%. Prior to this year, he was at ~6.8% career and ~7.4% post-offensive breakout (14-15 -). He should have 6-7 more goals scored right now than he does. I’d be more concerned if Faulk wasn’t shooting the puck, but his shot rate is in line with his post-offensive breakout line. I put that in the unsustainably bad column for now.

theRedWingsfan

Feb 7, 2018
I like Faulk, but why do we make this trade? We are in need of a rebuild and adding a 26 year old, he would be 30 by the time things start to turn around.

That's exactly what I think! If we are rebuilding Faulk is getting too old

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
No thanks, rebuilding done wrong.
How is trading a young player from a position of organizational strength to acquire a young player in a position of organizational weakness.... rebuilding done wrong? If Faulk can get back to how he's played for most of his career, he'd be a huge upgrade.

I think AA gets overrated here sometimes. He's very flashy, but he is not a cornerstone piece, and we shouldn't treat him that way.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Agreed. This fanbase has a severe case of overrating d-men on other teams. Faulk had one good season? Has to be a top-pairing guy! Maybe he rebounds in Detroit, but on the surface there’s no reason to think he’d be in a much better position here.

He'd also have play injured, not tell the team, and then never recover from that injury to be compared to Weiss.

I don't think anyone is over-rating Faulk. He's a top pair D who racks up points and doesn't PK. He's having an off year that is part of the reason Carolina might be shopping him. Is it a roll of the dice to go get him? Sure, but if we were looking at a sure thing coming back we'd be paying a lot more than Athanasiou.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
For the sake of argument, let's say Faulk is a 2nd pairing defenseman for the rest of his career, regardless of what team he plays on.

To me, that's still a more valuable player than what I think AA is: a middle six winger with consistency issues, and an overall allergy to defense.

AA is not an awful player to have by any means. I'm not desperate to ship him out of town, or bitter about how last summer went. I'd be fine with keeping him here for a long time. But I'm also sick and tired of never making a proverbial omelette, because of a paranoia of breaking any eggs. You have to give to get, and AA is a very reasonable price to pay for a solid improvement to a defense that's been dying on the vine for quite awhile now.

Maybe Faulk improves here, maybe not. But I'd much rather try to build a defense and restock the cupboard on a winger here and there, than keep doing what they've been doing, hoping that Cholo, Hronek, and a cast of nobodies will magically fix everything in a few years. Especially with the obvious need to trade Green in the next 2-3 weeks.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't think anyone is over-rating Faulk. He's a top pair D who racks up points and doesn't PK. He's having an off year that is part of the reason Carolina might be shopping him. Is it a roll of the dice to go get him? Sure, but if we were looking at a sure thing coming back we'd be paying a lot more than Athanasiou.
I would rather bet on Hronek, Saarijarvi or someone we draft in the top 10 of ’18 to become a similar level of player and keep AA around.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
The "article" linked here is a speculation based on a speculation. Even the author acknowledges that there is no substance to this--it is not even a rumor. It is amazing what passes for "sports writing" these days. I could just as well come out and say that we are going to trade Glendening for Crosby and Malkin.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah if it's just AA for Faulk. Do it. Faulk is only 2 years older, at least a top 4 D for 5 more years and plays a position of organizational weakness vs. AA at a point of strength. I doubt that would be the trade though. I think we'd need to add decent pieces to get Faulk.

If it's more like AA+ 2nd + Cholowski for Faulk, then I don't want to make that trade. I don't know what the price would be but I don't imagine most Wings fans would like what we'd have to add to AA. If it's just straight up AA for Faulk? I'd do it twice in a heartbeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad