Trade Rumors and Proposals X: Any day now Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
We need to score goals, and we need a RW to do so. Nobody here wants to give anything of any value up, so obviously our options are limited. In terms of those limited options, I think we could do a lot worse than Lupul.

Didn't you hear, Therrien - not Bergevin but Therrien - made a trade. He traded Chucky Galchenyuk the left winger for Alex Galchenyuk the right winger.

t0ny

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah i can't see MB taking on Lupul contract and injuries history... will be more than disappointing if he finally do so.
This is TML bringing Habs into the conversation to drive the price up i guess...

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Didn't you hear, Therrien - not Bergevin but Therrien - made a trade. He traded Chucky Galchenyuk the left winger for Alex Galchenyuk the right winger.
Oh no.. Chucky Galchenyuk was my favorite! But I've heard good things about Alex as well :sarcasm:

But no, I don't know if this move is going to pay off or not. Playing your off-wing works for some wingers, but I don't know if AG uses his shot enough to truly be effective on the RW. I think this is a stopgap until Bergevin acquires a more permanent option.

Watch, last year's Vanek trade will just be a flash in the pan and we're gonna do absolutely nothing at the deadline. It's happened before and could very well happen again.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
if the leafs retain 1M of his salary i'd move PAP + 3rd or 4th for him. moving a 2nd would be a deal breaker for me.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If this rumour that the Pens & Bruins are also involved in trade discussions for Lupul, then my guess is we have nothing to worry about. Bergevin is one big cheapskate - cheapskate in a good way. He has shown that he will not come out in the short end of any trade. He's always looking to come out with the winning combination.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I know some will balk at this, but what if we package our 1st + pieces + PAP to the Leafs for salary retained on Lupul and Winnik? I know that seems like a steep price, but it address our needs in one fell swoop. Not to mention there have been a few reports claiming the draft really tempers off at 20-30, and we're going to be drafting quite late.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Lupul
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
Winnik - Eller - Sekac
Prust - De La Rose - Weise
Malhotra

Markov - Subban
Beaulieu - Gonchar
Tinordi - Gilbert/Emelin

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I would rather keep the pick and let TT do his magic than to be stuck with deadwood longterm for a playoff push.
Our core his young guys we could contend for 10 years if we don't handcuff ourselves

t0ny

Apr 8, 2008
I know some will balk at this, but what if we package our 1st + pieces + PAP to the Leafs for salary retained on Lupul and Winnik? I know that seems like a steep price, but it address our needs in one fell swoop. Not to mention there have been a few reports claiming the draft really tempers off at 20-30, and we're going to be drafting quite late.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Lupul
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
Winnik - Eller - Sekac
Prust - De La Rose - Weise
Malhotra

Markov - Subban
Beaulieu - Gonchar
Tinordi - Gilbert/Emelin

I respectfully prefer standing pat than use those assets on Lupul/Winnik. This deal would not put us over the top this year...

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I respectfully prefer standing pat than use those assets on Lupul/Winnik. This deal would not put us over the top this year...
Agreed... there is no way I part with our 1st for these kinds of players. They might be useful pickups... or they might not (Lupul could get hurt again, Winnik could be just another generic grinder for us)... but 1st rounders are you best chance at getting long-term core players. Even late ones. If I was trading my 1st, it would have to involve a no-risk player coming back. Lupul is has too much risk with his injury history and contract, and Winnik is just not good enough.

I think Bergevin is on the same page, he already showed that with the Vanek scenario last year.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I hate how posters here turn into Captain Hindsight when a move works out well for a team, like it was the most obvious move ever. People last year were saying the exact same things about Gaborik, about how he was a band-aid and he was washed up compared to those 40 goal seasons.. The Kings traded Matt Frattin, a second, and a 3rd for him.. Not exactly selling the farm. The Kings weren't "true" cup contenders last year. Yes, they had won a cup recently but they had a substandard regular season and nobody was picking them to come out of the West.

We need to score goals, and we need a RW to do so. Nobody here wants to give anything of any value up, so obviously our options are limited. In terms of those limited options, I think we could do a lot worse than Lupul.

Hindsight? I'm not using hindsight, I didn't even comment on how successful he was.
Nothing I said was wrong. They are facts. Gaborik is a 35 career avg scorer and was one of the best goal scorers in the NHL at some point, he had scored 40 goals+ two years before. Lupul's success is 22-25goals. Two very different players to take risks on. It has nothing to do with hindsight.

Not to mention, Gaborik was set to become a free agent. Lupul has a few more years at over 5M. Lupul isn't a bandaid. If it doesn't work out we're stuck with him for more years.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
You know, the more I think about it, the more down I am for Joffrey Lupus on the Habs IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT.

I trust MB to back out if the bidding war goes too high.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Trading for DSP gives the Habs the option of acquiring a LW, a position that is much easier to fill IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad