Trade Rumors and Proposals X: Any day now Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Here's my completely crazy, unrealistic, wet dream for the trade deadline: DO NOTHING.

MB said this would be a transition year so I'd like to see him call up Scherbak for the playoffs:

Patches - Galchenyuk - Scherbak
Sekac - Pleks - Gallagher
DD - Eller - Weise
Prust - DLR - PAP

Markov - Subban
Beaulieu - Gonchar
Tinordi - Pateryn

Yeah, I know it's full of rookies at key positions but so were our cup winners in 86 and 93.

I'd be ok with them going all in and lose with that lineup because, again, it's a TRANSITION year.

And if they don't win the cup, MB can always fire MT and point to the sign in the locker room that says NO EXCUSES.

I'm sure Geoff can pay off MT's extension with Scherbak jersey sales...

/rant

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I don't think MTL does much this trade deadline. Big trades are made in the offseason when the team isn't contending for the playoffs. The likeliest rental addition is Petry for a 3rd or Tlusty for something similar. Available players with term are few and expensive. Polak is a possible addition while O'Reilly/Yandle are likely just nice ideas.

The offseason is when things could really start moving. I've got a feeling Eller is traded at the draft, maybe to Edmonton for a late 1st (PIT). Emelin is likely in the same situation, Tinordi and Beaulieu have developed to the point where he might be too expensive to hold onto. Maybe the Habs acquire Burmistrov's rights to fill in on the third line at wing or center. Likely attempt to sign St.Louis to play in the top-6 like we did with Briere and tried to do with Lecavalier. Try and improve the top-6 and let the young players develop.

I wouldn't expect much, not really MB's style.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
We went to the conference finals last year. We were not tourists in the conference finals, we belonged.

This is not a transition year. Anybody who thinks this is a transition year has the mentality of a loser. They don't hunger for victory because they don't expect victory, they expect defeat, a learned behaviour from a lifetime of failure.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Here's my completely crazy, unrealistic, wet dream for the trade deadline: DO NOTHING.

MB said this would be a transition year so I'd like to see him call up Scherbak for the playoffs:

Patches - Galchenyuk - Scherbak
DD - Eller - Weise
Prust - DLR - PAP

Markov - Subban
Beaulieu - Gonchar
Tinordi - Pateryn

Yeah, I know it's full of rookies at key positions but so were our cup winners in 86 and 93.

I'd be ok with them going all in and lose with that lineup because, again, it's a TRANSITION year.

And if they don't win the cup, MB can always fire MT and point to the sign in the locker room that says NO EXCUSES.

I'm sure Geoff can pay off MT's extension with Scherbak jersey sales...

/rant

Best goalie in the world and its a transition year? That's BS. Habs took Rangers to game 6 with a 3rdstringer in net. Price has the habs on top of eastern conference and its a transition year? No way. Bergevin just made some really bad sideway moves this summer to make you think it's a transition year. Why is it only a transition year for the habs? Total loser mentality

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...we can make a move for D right now, if we need to (which is debatable) and, yes, DD is not a #1C...luckily we have one that needs to be used as one right now...

Last edited by a moderator:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
We went to the conference finals last year. We were not tourists in the conference finals, we belonged.

This is not a transition year. Anybody who thinks this is a transition year has the mentality of a loser. They don't hunger for victory because they don't expect victory, they expect defeat, a learned behaviour from a lifetime of failure.

You must be a real champion then. Thank goodness we have you here to psycho-analyse our trade board and help us fix our personal problems and make better trade proposals. :laugh:

Carrying on, are there any potentially available RD with term? Outside of Polak of course.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

I do not think this a transition year but management seem to think so.

In any case, they are trying to manage expectations, therefore if they stand pat at the deadline, I have a feeling that they will use that card and say that we told you that this is a transition year.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
You must be a real champion then. Thank goodness we have you here to psycho-analyse our trade board and help us fix our personal problems and make better trade proposals. :laugh:

Carrying on, are there any potentially available RD with term? Outside of Polak of course.

Coburn plays both sides....

There are RD available w/o term ie: Petry.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

My screen name doesn't refer to winning championships. I used to play the video game Age of Empires 2 extensively (shown below), and "The Champion" was an advanced unit of infantry in the game. I've since kept the screen name.

aoe2.jpg

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...what's wrong with Polak; he'd fit the #4/#5 slot right now...or why not L.Schenn or Coburn??...and why not try Petry or Michalek, who's to say they wouldn't resign with a successful young club??...

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
All that might matter at the end of the day is the goalie we have.

Whether or not MB trades for a bunch of half-rate rentals, the outcome will likely be the same because the team would still be dependent on Price given the current system and the quality of players acquired?

Or are you suggesting we trade for Halak because he's a better playoff goalie? :sarcasm:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

You have an entire, 100% unequivocal agreement here. It would be a shame to waste such a fantastic year of Price and Patches, and another year of Pleks, Markov and Co. We have an astonishingly healthy team even with the loss of Emelin, it would behove a competent GM to make a move or two. What's a first round pick if it's in the 25-30 range?

Next year is an unknown, Subban or Patches or Price might be out for the full year, no one knows. This year we're set, this year we HAVE to gun for it.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
...what's wrong with Polak; he'd fit the #4/#5 slot right now...or why not L.Schenn or Coburn??...and why not try Petry or Michalek, who's to say they wouldn't resign with a successful young club??...

What the ****?

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

I actually really like Polak, I was just looking to see if there were more names being thrown around. I'd say Michalek is past his peak and is moving into Gorges territory. Luke Schenn might be a good addition, Philidelphia is definitely looking to make some moves. Coburn is left handed.

Seems like everyone is looking for a RD these days.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I actually really like Polak, I was just looking to see if there were more names being thrown around. I'd say Michalek is past his peak and is moving into Gorges territory. Luke Schenn might be a good addition, Philidelphia is definitely looking to make some moves. Coburn is left handed.

Seems like everyone is looking for a RD these days.

...Coburn plays the right side...prefers it...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
In a salary cap world, there will always be "holes".

Fact is that the Habs compare very well to, among other teams, the Boston Bruins that won the cup in 2011. The team strengths are goaltending, the top defense pair, and forward depth. The team may not have Jeff Carter in the top-6, but it has Eller, Sekac, Prust, etc in the bottom six.

People over-estimate the skill level around the league. The NHL is not like the Champions league. There is no NHL team that could, for example, outplay a hypothetical clone team of Team Canada or Team USA from the olympics, in the same manner that FC Barcelona could conceivably massacre the German National Squad. All teams have "holes" and their total success depends sensitively on the sum of the parts. The Habs have enough advantages from Price, Subban, etc to compensate for the fact that DD is playing at a 50 point pace rather than a 60 point pace.

bhuya71

Jun 14, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
As long as we don't give up a core piece or a big prospect our future looks good to me.

Patches - Chuck - Scherbak
Hudon - Eller - McCarron
Prust - DLR - Weise

Markov - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Emelin - Pateryn

That's literally just plugging holes from within...no trades no FAs nothing...yes I did conveniently leave out DD and Pap along with a bunch of other roster players i.e. gilbert that I don't see being vital to the team or their role going forward. This could literally be our lineup next year with no outside pieces coming in. That's a pretty strong lineup with lots of players playing to their strengths in roles that make sense for their skillset

We're in great shape both NOW and in the future as it seems the development for a lot of our younger guys is going very well. However we do need scoring help more than D but that's just me. Looking at every other team in leading their division we are literally a top 6 scorer behind (25+ goals atm)

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
What the ****?

...Luke Schenn isn't the Horror Show he's made out to be...he's only ever played for teams with horrible defensive coverage and has been pretty good the last year and a half, in my opinion (son's a Flyers fan, so I watch alot of Philly games)...he and Beaulieu would make a nice 2nd pairing, imo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad