Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXXV: Filling roster holes post Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What a bust of an off-season.

MacT talked a huge game and then said something along the lines of "It doesn't matter what I say though, it matters what I do"

Well he most certainly did not deliver.

It's only July 9th!!!

With the exception of moving Hemsky for some plug this is the team we will have next year. This will be the 6th straight season that we will finish in the bottom 10. Mind numbing.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
If nurse klefbom and Schultz continue developing properly, there will be absolutely no room for Petry. If we continue to play him too high in the lineup because we are waiting for prospects to develop, he will demand an overpay and will be too expensive for our bottom pairing anyways. Right now he is very enticing to a team wanting to save money on a puck mover and we don't have to take back a 7 year contract.

I understand where you're coming from on the trade front of Petry (as in, we probably need an upgrade), but this argument, for me, doesn't cut it.

It's poor asset management to trade away pieces because we think we'll have pieces that are ready to take their place in the near future because we think the piece we have now will demand an overpay.

If we play him too high in the lineup, either
a) he's going to start to stink, and then you've dealt with your overpay issue (and we've got the self-professed prospects in the bank to prove it)...
b) he's actually going to look really good, and then you've got yourself a good problem.

Trading away Petry, imho, is a step in the wrong direction. He's been nothing but a warrior for us, and if I may venture a guess, is going to really shine this year. Pair him with Ference, and I've got a good feeling.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

MacT talked a huge game and then said something along the lines of "It doesn't matter what I say though, it matters what I do"

It's only July 9th!!!

With the exception of moving Hemsky for some plug this is the team we will have next year. This will be the 6th straight season that we will finish in the bottom 10. Mind numbing.

People set their personal expectations too high.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

It's only July 9th!!!

the only conceivable way i can see us NOT finishing in the bottom 10 again is if more than one of the kids goes super-nova.... it would take something like RNH putting up 80+ points AND yakupov scoring 40+ goals.... even if hall has another season like he did this year (which was amazing btw, i don't know if we've been talking enough about just how good he was), without very large improvements by a couple other kids, we don't even get a *sniff* at the playoffs.... pretty sad

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
People set their personal expectations too high.

It's too much to expect a team that has been in the basement for 1/2 a decade to get out of the basement? Are you ****ing kidding me? This team has not made a substantial improvement to their roster from one season to the next in YEARS. You are conditioned to the worst franchise ever. Donno how you can excuse it. MacT talked big and failed. No surprise there. We hired a GM with no experience and did not conduct a single interview for the job. Joke of an organization.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If nurse klefbom and Schultz continue developing properly, there will be absolutely no room for Petry. If we continue to play him too high in the lineup because we are waiting for prospects to develop, he will demand an overpay and will be too expensive for our bottom pairing anyways. Right now he is very enticing to a team wanting to save money on a puck mover and we don't have to take back a 7 year contract.

Actually I think having this glut of LHD's all of whom are defense first guys makes Smid expendable at some point.

I don't understand why some are so attached to Smid, highly overrated Dman. Sure, he has a lot of heart, is a good team guy and is great at blocking shots but everything else about his game is mediocre. Questionable hockey sense, below average puckmover and little offense to speak of. Also, he's not really that physical.
I would deal him in a second for some center help if it meant bringing in somebody like Couturier or Schenn.

Petry i feel has a lot of room to grow. He showed flashes of great potential last season, moves the puck very well, is a great skater and really ramped up the physicality last season. Plus he's a RHD which we have a big shortage of after him and Schultz so i would deal Smid before Petry if it came down to dealing one of the two.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I understand where you're coming from on the trade front of Petry (as in, we probably need an upgrade), but this argument, for me, doesn't cut it.

It's poor asset management to trade away pieces because we think we'll have pieces that are ready to take their place in the near future because we think the piece we have now will demand an overpay.

If we play him too high in the lineup, either
a) he's going to start to stink, and then you've dealt with your overpay issue (and we've got the self-professed prospects in the bank to prove it)...
b) he's actually going to look really good, and then you've got yourself a good problem.

Trading away Petry, imho, is a step in the wrong direction. He's been nothing but a warrior for us, and if I may venture a guess, is going to really shine this year. Pair him with Ference, and I've got a good feeling.
Oh I agree we shouldn't be counting on our prospects to come in and take his place, my opinion is that whether that does or does not happen, we should dump him because he is not a top pairing guy and he is not a bottom pairing guy.
We have Ference smid klefbom Schultz as possible second pairing guys already.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's too much to expect a team that has been in the basement for 1/2 a decade to get out of the basement? Are you ****ing kidding me? This team has not made a substantial improvement to their roster from one season to the next in YEARS. You are conditioned to the worst franchise ever. Donno how you can excuse it. MacT talked big and failed. No surprise there. We hired a GM with no experience and did not conduct a single interview for the job. Joke of an organization.

Gagner
Paajarvi
Hall
RNH
Yakupov
Nurse

Yup, six years of top 10 picks from "failed" seasons. It hurts to think about it, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad