Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXVII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Because he's an awful teammate, see all the BS with the president and then leaving his teammates to answer for him, and he's Nuts, see the last year of his life being nuts.

Awful for this team and this locker room.

Let him go to Philly, grab popcorn and enjoy.

Meow...Im not ready to say the guy is nuts just because he declined a a token trip to the White House.

Those trips have sometimes been nothing more than a total insult to some of the biggest names in hockey. Remember when Bill Clinton couldn't even be bothered to pronounce "Izzerman's" name properly?

Its a publicity stunt. Thomas stood up for what he believed in.

Hes a helluva goalie. Goalies are weird. Especially the really good ones.

It would be silly to dismiss Tim Thomas so quickly.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
i bet most NHL players don't give a rat's ass about politics. acquiring a two-time Vezina winner could do more good to their confidence than his antics could subtract from it.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If it came down to it, and Petry was legitimately upset about Thomas, then I would rather not. Our top dman is more important than a backup goalie. I don't think that's what OP meant though. Thomas is a nutjob who's easy to dislike

Thomas reminds me of Bryz but better. There are always gonna be issues that they disagree on but on ice, seems like both just want to have fun.

As long as Thomas can keep his political diatribe and all that crap to himself, could care less. Coupled with him winning for the team, even better.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Well, I read both of our 2nd rounders (before MacTavish traded down) and Paajarvi.

Some people were even saying that he asked for Eberle.

some guy on another board who has solid info on the flyers said that the flyers had contacted carolina, calgary , and edm with the intention of aquiring a pick to select nurse. 11 was not offered in any deal since philly had every intention of using that pick on morin.

I think coburn was the main piece being offered. Also philly had the opportunity to acquire another first , that they would have added to the package for 7.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
some guy on another board who has solid info on the flyers said that the flyers had contacted carolina, calgary , and edm with the intention of aquiring a pick to select nurse. 11 was not offered in any deal since philly had every intention of using that pick on morin.

I think coburn was the main piece being offered. Also philly had the opportunity to acquire another first , that they would have added to the package for 7.

At the draft most of Mact and Holmgren's discussions were occuring AFTER Nurse had already been picked.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
i bet most NHL players don't give a rat's ass about politics. acquiring a two-time Vezina winner could do more good to their confidence than his antics could subtract from it.

Honestly, I could care less about his political views, the guy can stop pucks, and that is all any one should care about.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com

I think MacT is being tested a bit by Holmgren to see how desperate he is.

If that report is true, from this point on Homer's probably going to be asking for Nurse/Klefbom and my guess is MacT is countering with Marincin +

I guess we'll see who blinks first or how bad MacT wants Coburn.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
At the draft most of Mact and Holmgren's discussions were occuring AFTER Nurse had already been picked.

right. Holmgren said nurse or nothing. MacT pretty much targeted Coburn as his guy and was putting together packages that Homer had no interest in. BUt Coburn is definitely the Guy MacT wanted/wants.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I don't want Thomas not because of 'locker room issues' but because he's like 40 and spent the last year on holidays.
A lot of winning teams do fine with 'locker room cancers' or whatever. I'm pretty sure the last time we had a player that his teammates didn't like we were 1 game away from winning the Cup. It's not like this whole 'happy family' environment is working wonders for this team.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
The Islanders have always maintained they weren't going to toll Tim Thomas' contract and there's nothing to suggest anything has changed

Edit: Ok...

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
So, Tim Thomas will be UFA Friday like any other player on an expiring deal

Last edited:

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
I don't want Thomas not because of 'locker room issues' but because he's like 40 and spent the last year on holidays.
A lot of winning teams do fine with 'locker room cancers' or whatever. I'm pretty sure the last time we had a player that his teammates didn't like we were 1 game away from winning the Cup. It's not like this whole 'happy family' environment is working wonders for this team.

Agreed. It's difficult to come back from unless you're an extraordinarily gifted athlete.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Hartnell would be a nice addition to our 2nd line LW, he's overpriced but would add some key elements and Philly always seems to want to engage in silly season (UFA signing time) he could come somewhat cheap if they are willing to part with him.

I agree that Ballard is still an NHL defenseman, but is more of a 2nd/3rd pairing tweener which we already have in Nick Schultz, and he is also undersized which only further hurts our team that is already a bit too small. No reason for us to do Vancouver any favours.

One trade that doesn't seem to be getting much discussion on here is the Sekera trade, that was a defense man trade with a pretty reasonable cost and he has been getting a lot of tough assignments without a lot of fan fare. He's kind of like Spacek who was quietly effective for a while, but doesn't do the sexy things or have the size or draft pedigree like a Coburn to get any kind of recognition. That's not to say I wouldn't prefer Coburn he's a more inconsistent, but he brings a lot of things we need and would be one of the defensemen best equipped to deal with what we would be up against in our new division. Just that it would be best if we don't turn on our blinders and keep chasing him while other opportunities pass us by.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Hartnell would be a nice addition to our 2nd line LW, he's overpriced but would add some key elements and Philly always seems to want to engage in silly season (UFA signing time) he could come somewhat cheap if they are willing to part with him.

I agree that Ballard is still an NHL defenseman, but is more of a 2nd/3rd pairing tweener which we already have in Nick Schultz, and he is also undersized which only further hurts our team that is already a bit too small. No reason for us to do Vancouver any favours.

One trade that doesn't seem to be getting much discussion on here is the Sekera trade, that was a defense man trade with a pretty reasonable cost and he has been getting a lot of tough assignments without a lot of fan fare. He's kind of like Spacek who was quietly effective for a while, but doesn't do the sexy things or have the size or draft pedigree like a Coburn to get any kind of recognition. That's not to say I wouldn't prefer Coburn he's a more inconsistent, but he brings a lot of things we need and would be one of the defensemen best equipped to deal with what we would be up against in our new division. Just that it would be best if we don't turn on our blinders and keep chasing him while other opportunities pass us by.

how is hartnell overpriced? 4.7 for a guy like that? Bickell got 4.0, Lucic is close comparison gets 6.0.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
It would take quite an overpay, but Clarkson is intriguing.

Best case, we play him (or play Yakupov) on the left side on the second line - worst case he plays right side with Paajarvi on what could be a special third line. Is that worth 4M+ with term?

Meow...Im not ready to say the guy is nuts just because he declined a a token trip to the White House.

I'm willing to say he's nuts based on the half dozen facebook rants that followed it.

He's a 40 year old who hasn't played hockey in 18 months, who's last team couldn't wait to see the back of him.

There isn't a strong enough synonym for pass. There are no less than 10 better options available to the Oilers just by who we know may be available and who is a UFA.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer
Gillis in radio interview insists he was not offered better deal by Oilers. He talked today on phone with Luongo; will visit him in 2 weeks

Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer
Gillis also indicated (no surprise here) that Ballard not in their plans. Will be bought out unless he's claimed on waivers (won't happen)

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer
Gillis in radio interview insists he was not offered better deal by Oilers. He talked today on phone with Luongo; will visit him in 2 weeks

Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer
Gillis also indicated (no surprise here) that Ballard not in their plans. Will be bought out unless he's claimed on waivers (won't happen)

Gillis is also a liar

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer

Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer

Probably because he demanded a better deal from the Oilers but wasn't reciprocated.

Sometimes this whole "I won't trade him within the division/conference" thing gets taken too far. I think as a GM you should just take the best available deal. Oilers probably offered the 7th.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
NHLbyMatty
@NHLbyMatty

RT @thrillsuril: @NHLbyMatty IF Horcoff isn't traded by July 4, will Oilers use compliance buyout on him before deadline? They have to, don't they?you would think so at $5.5 mil cap hit

Obviously not gospel but I would agree with Jim.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
how is hartnell overpriced? 4.7 for a guy like that? Bickell got 4.0, Lucic is close comparison gets 6.0.

I actually think most power forwards are overpaid, just being big shouldn't get you a huge payday. They do add intangibles through their size in general they are much more physically punishing add some intimidation and can open up more lanes and space through their size, but when you look at someone like Marty St. Louis getting paid $5.6 a year while winning the Art Ross and players like Brian Bickell, David Booth, Ryan Malone, and Erik Cole getting $4 million+ it just seems like they are getting paid too much for what they bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad