Rumor: Trade rumors and proposals thread: The Hounds of Chia-ville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The biggest complaint MOST of us have is the fact we are easy to play against and show little or no push back when we get slapped around--Every teams top 6 plays lots of minutes and ours would get pushed around by most female hockey teams(if you watched much ladies hockey you know they play physical)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yes let's get another US born, NCAA-trained soft-hitting offensive dman...lord knows the Oilers have always had big success there...

Poti
Gilbert
Petry

All decent guys, but none ended well for the Oilers.

Replacing Gostisbehere with Provorov would IMO be the only way you'd get the Oilers to tilt their ear Philadelphia's way.

In all fairness those guys weren't the issue. The Oilers having them as top pairing d-men were the issue

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Given the recent chatter from Spector about Chiarelli being rumored to have offered RNH for Seth Jones, and I'd say it's not beyond the realm to think that RNH's days are numbered even if Matthews isn't available on draft day.

IMO how McDavid and Draisaitl look to close out the 2nd half of this season will weigh heavily in whichever way Chiarelli decides to play this.

And if Matthews is available, you freaking take him and run giggling out of the arena. Screw the "collateral damage", whatever that's supposed to mean.

To be honest, that report kind of doesn't make sense to me. I know spector and SNETW are good sources, but the timing makes no sense. For example, lets say we did trade RNH for Jones.

From the time of the trade to post all star break, our C depth is what exactly? Drai-Letestu-Lander-Hendricks?

It's incredibly early and tiny sample size and all that, but from what I can see, in the 3 games Jones is getting easy zone starts and not super tough minutes. He's doing really well in those minutes for sure. What I'm trying to say he's still developing.

This is also a GM in Boston who always had 3 offensive C's every year he was there bar his first. From Savard-Krejci-Bergeron to Bergeron-Krejci-Soderberg. You're telling me he ditches the chance to have 3 50+ point C's (we have a chance at that this year :naughty:) down the middle for the next decade? A much easier approach might be trade wingers/picks/cap space to fix the D and get 'tougher to play against' on the wings.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
To be honest, that report kind of doesn't make sense to me. I know spector and SNETW are good sources, but the timing makes no sense. For example, lets say we did trade RNH for Jones.

From the time of the trade to post all star break, our C depth is what exactly? Drai-Letestu-Lander-Hendricks?

It's incredibly early and tiny sample size and all that, but from what I can see, in the 3 games Jones is getting easy zone starts and not super tough minutes. He's doing really well in those minutes for sure. What I'm trying to say he's still developing.

This is also a GM in Boston who always had 3 offensive C's every year he was there bar his first. From Savard-Krejci-Bergeron to Bergeron-Krejci-Soderberg. You're telling me he ditches the chance to have 3 50+ point C's (we have a chance at that this year :naughty:) down the middle for the next decade? A much easier approach might be trade wingers/picks/cap space to fix the D and get 'tougher to play against' on the wings.

the worst kept secret is we offered Nuge for Jones and it sounds like Preds wanted us to add something--that is where the fun starts.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Edler is up and down and if you watch games where he is on the ice and twins arent? That is an interesting experience. And knowing Canucks fans--they would want Nuge + for Edler

Benning wouldn't trade Eddie Lack in the division, let alone Edler.

Yeah a big trade in division is unlikely.

They do seem to have a weak spot for BC players though. Just a thought but with the Sedins getting older another non-playoff season might trigger a rebuild there. Chiarelli/KY Jelly/Jim Bending over. Seems feasible given Bending's trade history.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The biggest complaint MOST of us have is the fact we are easy to play against and show little or no push back when we get slapped around--Every teams top 6 plays lots of minutes and ours would get pushed around by most female hockey teams(if you watched much ladies hockey you know they play physical)

Not that I completely disagree, but to this point Kevin Weekes had some interesting comments about the Oilers today during his conversation w/ Bob.

Weekes said that from talking with multiple people around the NHL, they all said that on the whole the Oilers are a much harder team to play against than they used to be. Take it for what it is.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Timing literally means nothing though. PC and TM aren't going to be concerned if we miss the playoffs. It is more about building this year. If you think Jones is a guy you really want then you make the trade regardless of the timing. Guys like him just don't come around everyday.

We know he likes center depth, but it's a different situation here and center depth may or may not have to be dealt to fix the defense. In Boston he was lucky enough to hit it big with Chara for free.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not that I completely disagree, but to this point Kevin Weekes had some interesting comments about the Oilers today during his conversation w/ Bob.

Weekes said that from talking with multiple people around the NHL, they all said that on the whole the Oilers are a much harder team to play against than they used to be. Take it for what it is.

I've heard it a few times now. The real issue is how much harder are we to play against, because to be honest we were a very passive non-physical team in the past.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
If we land Matthews you call Arizona right away. They need that kid.

OEL would be a nice start.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Hall, Draisaitl, Matthews, Pouliot, McDavid, Yakupov

We might just be fine when it comes to getting pushed around.

I get you preferring Pulj over Matthews and it should be a discussion point but going BPA is the recommended way.

Do you draft Landeskog 1st over all or do you trade down to 2 or 3 and acquire another asset ? Matthews is a LOT bigger than RNH and should be physically ready as early as next season

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

Bergeron, Krejci, and Soderberg are offensive? They all have a way better defensive game than Nuge!

This season is lost anyway. Regardless of whether or not Nuge is traded during the season, we're getting a high pick. Even if we do keep him, he ain't getting 50+ points playing third line minutes, that's for sure.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I've heard it a few times now. The real issue is how much harder are we to play against, because to be honest we were a very passive non-physical team in the past.

I watch the Oilers games on US streams and there is a common theme every time.
1. Oilers now play with a structure, 2. Draisaitl is good, 3. Hall is very good.

every single game!

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Would Matthews make Draisaitl expendable? (Ducks for cover)

Not before he would make RNH, Eberle, and Yak expendable. You can fix the defense using those 3 as chips and role with McDavid/Mathews and Hall/Drai pairs.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
Yes let's get another US born, NCAA-trained soft-hitting offensive dman...lord knows the Oilers have always had big success there...

Poti
Gilbert
Petry

All decent guys, but none ended well for the Oilers.

Replacing Gostisbehere with Provorov would IMO be the only way you'd get the Oilers to tilt their ear Philadelphia's way.

I agree with a post below that we thrust those guys into roles and expectations that were too high. Nothing wrong with an offensive guy in a bottom 3 role on d if used correctly. I'd take Ghost over most of our d right now.. guy can at least make a pass to the forwards which I think is understated in its importance with our d.. tired of watching us get hemmed in our zone because we make weak and I'll timed/placed passes to the forwards.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
if we win the lotto--trade down a few spots 3 or 4th overall--Grab either Tkchuk and Chykran and add something else we need in the process

I'd much rather have Laine than Tkachuk and Chychrun has been a bit of a disappointment this year. There'd have to be a significant piece coming back to trade down from the 3 lottery picks of Matthew, Laine, and Puljujarvi

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I'd much rather have Laine than Tkachuk and Chychrun has been a bit of a disappointment this year. There'd have to be a significant piece coming back to trade down from the 3 lottery picks of Matthew, Laine, and Puljujarvi

here are the questions about Patrik Laine
1) How long before he comes over?
2) How ready is he for the NHL?
3) Do the oilers have both the time and patients t wait for him to develop?

Maybe cause I am here in Europe, but I get the feeling that both Swedes and Fins USUALLY like spending that extra year or two in the home country, unless they are already playing on junior hockey leagues in North America.

So we draft one of the Fins only to find out either one wants to spent 1 or 2 more years developing and wont be over to NA until the 18/19 season? When then? in 18/19 Eberle is on the last year of his contract, hall after 19/20 and nuge 20/21.

At some point in time this organization has to go "ITS GO TIME" to win

For me looking at a healthy line up--we are not there yet and we need to address.
While we are not in a win now mode, the clock is ticking on some contracts and at some point in time that WILL become an issue that needs to be dealt with

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ofcourse Chia is saying the pick is not available. Its almost all posturing. Make something restricted and drive the price up

If Oilers win 1st or 2nd pick this year, it better be gone to Arizona for OEL. Make everything right in the world. Send the hometown franchise center home and fix the Oilers blueline

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Although, just for laughs, a center core of McDavid/Matthews/Draisaitl/RNH would likely be the best center core ever, as soon as next season.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

Maybe cause I am here in Europe, but I get the feeling that both Swedes and Fins USUALLY like spending that extra year or two in the home country, unless they are already playing on junior hockey leagues in North America.

So we draft one of the Fins only to find out either one wants to spent 1 or 2 more years developing and wont be over to NA until the 18/19 season? When then? in 18/19 Eberle is on the last year of his contract, hall after 19/20 and nuge 20/21.

For me looking at a healthy line up--we are not there yet and we need to address.
While we are not in a win now mode, the clock is ticking on some contracts and at some point in time that WILL become an issue that needs to be dealt with

That is actually an ideal situation for the Oilers. If Laine stayed another two years in Europe the Oilers would have a potential star on an ELC ready to step in when McDavid's second contract kicks in.

I think he plays in the NHL next year though. Unlike CHL drafted players, being able to go directly to the AHL for a few months of seasoning will help with his transition to North America.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

The draft is for addressing your future. If you want to address your present you use those picks in trades. If they are using the pick, they should be taking BPA. Whether that means a guy like Laine might not come over for an extra year or whatever. I also think it should be pointed out that the last few years guys taken at the top of the draft if they're ready to play typically are in the NHL. Regardless of if they are European or not. Larsson, Zibanejad (2011 draft) Hampus Lindholm (2012 draft) Ristolainen, Elias Lindholm, and Barkov, Nichushkin (2013 draft) and Mikko Rantanen (2015 draft) all drafted in the top 10, all played in Europe in their draft year and all were in the NHL (or AHL) the following season.

Jonas Brodin is the only player taken out of Europe in the top 10 in the past 5 drafts that didn't play in NA immediately the following season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad