Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Slow Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Last one hit 1k. Continue here.

Fair enough, but I don't think that means they should stop trying. If you want to argue it means they need a new pro scouting staff, then that's another story.

Which is actually a good strategy. Our top 4 defenceman are decent, all we are missing is a #1. At least out 5th and 6th defenceman will have to be working their butts off to stay in the lineup, I like it. Last season there was nobody to take a spot from Potter, other than Teubert.

You could make that case. However, I would say it shows he really doesn't know who he wants and hopes that by throwing enough random darts he might actually hit something.

EDIT: On second thought, I don't think it's really a lack of knowledge that's preventing MacT from going after more proven players. I think it's risk aversion. You take take a big chance on giving up assets for a bigger contract that might not even fit in once he gets here.

I really think with bottom pairing d-men and 4th liners that this is really all you can do. Unless you are NSH, but in their case they don't have close to 30mil locked up in their top 6.

I guess you don't bight the hand that feeds you hay! But I guess on the flip side it's not only about business it is personal as well.

I think the one thing that kinda makes things worse is that right now after the dust has settled there are still some pretty decent players, ones that arguably might've been a better fit for this year. They are also ones that wouldn't cost you nearly as much as they would've a couple weeks ago.

Problem is how do you pass on some guys that you identified early as potential gems, in hopes of singing a Steckel or Grabovski or whoever at this time of year. Could've potentially passed on guys you could've signed and then realized that there really is no one to sign.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
How much are you guys willing to move for Franson? Looks like he's available, and I think he could be a huge steal for this team going forward. Would probably put up 50-60 points feeding RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yak, Perron and Gagner the puck all the time. Also would bring a very much needed first pass to our blue line.

EE AY HOCKEY CONNECT

May 24, 2013
Make up rumors?

Where are those guys that the mods claim are insiders but nothing ever happens?

They are good for some needless ********.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
If he's honestly expecting $4M we shouldn't be interested. Between $2-$2.5M I would be interested, but I suspect Toronto would have signed him already if he was willing to play for around that dollar figure.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The Oilers can't afford a $3-4M bottom defenseman with their cap structure.

No to Franson.

Franson is at least top 4, if you look at his games from march 7th until the end of the playoffs he'd played on average over 20 min a game, probably over 21 min if you calculate it , and was on pace for 50 points.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah we need the "expiring" contracts of Hemsky and Nick Schultz. The cap rising alone doesn't cover the raises to both RNH and Justin Schultz on top of the fact that Dubnyk is probably going to want a raise too, or he wasn't good enough for the season, so we're going to have to spent to find a replacement. Either way that will require cap room.

You can't replace a Nick Schultz with a 4-year contract for Franson or something. It destroys your long term cap flexibility.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Franson is EASILY a top 4 dman and would fit very nicely into the Oilers roster to help feed the top 6 which they desperately need. Underrated player defensively as well.

Unfortunately MacT has stuffed the roster to the brim with bodies and cap space is very limited now. Other moves need to be made to make room for a superior talent and obvious upgrade like Franson but MacT is apparently looking for no more than a knuckle-dragger at this stage so I'm not hopeful for any real improvement until MacT wakes out of his slumber and sees the obvious need for more actual improvements.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If he's honestly expecting $4M we shouldn't be interested. Between $2-$2.5M I would be interested, but I suspect Toronto would have signed him already if he was willing to play for around that dollar figure.

The guy did what they wanted him to do, like Raab said he was playing 21 minutes for the second half of the year. He also wasn't exactly getting an advantage on the PP.

I don't know that we can make it fit without giving up on Petry, but 4mil isn't exactly too far off from what he should get. Maybe 3.5mil?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

He finished top 10 in points for a d-man. Why shouldn't he be looking for a payday.

$4 million is reasonable. Just doesn't fit our pay structure.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah we need the "expiring" contracts of Hemsky and Nick Schultz. The cap rising alone doesn't cover the raises to both RNH and Justin Schultz on top of the fact that Dubnyk is probably going to want a raise too, or he wasn't good enough for the season, so we're going to have to spent to find a replacement. Either way that will require cap room.

You can't replace a Nick Schultz with a 4-year contract for Franson or something. It destroys your long term cap flexibility.

The way Schultz played last year he will be damn lucky to get a cap hit higher than what he has now. Even RNH what's he getting 5 or 6? The jump in cap will cover that.

Eventually someone will be brought in with a 4 year deal or longer to play on that back end. MacT better realize this now, if he doesn't then we are doomed on the back end.

I don't know if Franson is the guy, but if he is you have to make him fit.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Yea, but Petry will probably want 4M next year, and if he doesnt then were not making the playoffs and need to find someone for the right side top 4 spot anyways. The way I look at it I'd give up Petry for Franson knowing that Franson has the higher upside and at worse will be your second pairing right sided d man behind Schultz.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yea, but Petry will probably want 4M next year, and if he doesnt then were not making the playoffs and need to find someone for the right side top 4 spot anyways. The way I look at it I'd give up Petry for Franson knowing that Franson has the higher upside and at worse will be your second pairing right sided d man behind Schultz.

Honestly you'd have a year to figure out which one is the better fit and could make a deal at the draft. Would it be that horrible if we brought Franson in and dealt him at the draft?

Especially considering the asking price sounds like prospect and pick. Seems like something MacT has to look into.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I don't know if Franson has higher upside, Oilers have had a way to make defenseman look really bad lately. If we traded Petry away I think we would regret it. I'm not biased.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Petry has played(and played well) versus top line competition his entire career.

Franson has yet to(and shown very little signs of being able to) play top line competition in his career.

You would be crazy to make that trade 1 for 1.

Sloth Slothersons*

How much are you guys willing to move for Franson? Looks like he's available, and I think he could be a huge steal for this team going forward. Would probably put up 50-60 points feeding RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yak, Perron and Gagner the puck all the time. Also would bring a very much needed first pass to our blue line.

Wow, super high expectations for Franson.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Franson hasnt showed enough to earn more then 2 million in the nhl!
Overpaying for pp defender who looks slow in defence isnt good management.

Remember it was a shortened season and 4 goals isnt much!
Saw him a couple of games in shl were he was average last season 3+4 in 26 gp.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He finished top 10 in points for a d-man. Why shouldn't he be looking for a payday.

$4 million is reasonable. Just doesn't fit our pay structure.

Schultz only had 2 less points than him, and had to deal with the Kings and Blues on a regular basis.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Franson is not a second pairing D. Not even on the Oilers. This is a guy with one good season under his belt amongst several mediocre seasons. Even at that, he played the easiest minutes of any D on the Leafs. Hes below average defensively and is not physical, despite being a big D.

I would much rather have Petry on D. Petty faces the toughest opposition, can play above average D and is a good puck mover. For next season Franson might ( strong might) be an upgrade over Schultz, but this season might be an anomaly. And Schultz was thrown to the wolves with a partner that is not top 4 either.

Belov sounds exactly like Franson, and is much cheaper. Franson is better no doubt, but would crush our cap.

To be honest. I'd rather go with Belov and keep the assets wed have to give up (plus the cap space) then get Franson to play bottom pairing

It's pretty telling that he's not worth top 4 money when his own GM (with better cap situation then us) is shopping him

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Petry has played(and played well) versus top line competition his entire career.

Franson has yet to(and shown very little signs of being able to) play top line competition in his career.

You would be crazy to make that trade 1 for 1.

Is there anything is then post that has any truth to it, because if there is I cant see it. Petry hasnt played against the top competition his whole career and done well at it. If he had we wouldnt have 3 1st overall picks on our team. And Franson and Gardiner were Torontos top pair during the playoffs this year. So he went head to head against the best in Boston.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Franson is not a second pairing D. Not even on the Oilers. This is a guy with one good season under his belt amongst several mediocre seasons. Even at that, he played the easiest minutes of any D on the Leafs. Hes below average defensively and is not physical, despite being a big D.

I would much rather have Petry on D. Petty faces the toughest opposition, can play above average D and is a good puck mover. For next season Franson might ( strong might) be an upgrade over Schultz, but this season might be an anomaly. And Schultz was thrown to the wolves with a partner that is not top 4 either.

Belov sounds exactly like Franson, and is much cheaper. Franson is better no doubt, but would crush our cap.

To be honest. I'd rather go with Belov and keep the assets wed have to give up (plus the cap space) then get Franson to play bottom pairing

It's pretty telling that he's not worth top 4 money when his own GM (with better cap situation then us) is shopping him

Torontos in a worse spot then us because they need to resign Kadri as well. I think both these guys are looking for 3.5-4M on 3+ year deals. So Nonis would have to make some move to fit them in.

swany

Dec 18, 2007
If Clifford cost you Marancin and a second round pick would you do it? Mact is very high on Marancin said he's close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig