Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Ken Holland, There's Nowhere to Run to, Nowhere to Hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
bmX9pej.png

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah that is an interesting thing I didn't think about ... Holland is probably being "summoned" to meet Katz face to face. Believe Katz these days lives pretty much in his mega L.A. mansion exclusively.

He's probably going to have an angry owner to deal with.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Canucks win tonight. We’re now 7th in the Division.
One silver lining to it all is that the gap is largely due to games played. With the exception of Calgary everyone ahead of us has 4-6 games in hand.

There is plenty of runway to make ground up on everyone except for maybe Vegas. Team just needs to pull its collective head out of its ass.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
One silver lining to it all is that the gap is largely due to games played. With the exception of Calgary everyone ahead of us has 4-6 games in hand.

There is plenty of runway to make ground up on everyone except for maybe Vegas. Team just needs to pull its collective head out of its ass.

You wanna bet the Oilers remaining schedule to make up those fewer games is going to be murder?

NHL will probably do some 4 games in 6 nights bull shit. That's why I wouldn't put special faith into "games in hand".

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You wanna bet the Oilers remaining schedule to make up those fewer games is going to be murder?

NHL will probably do some 4 games in 6 nights bull shit. That's why I wouldn't put special faith into "games in hand".

No special faith. Just pointing out a reason things might not be quite as bad as they look.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nice. Negotiating from a position of weakness and desperation is what we do best here. Let's see that elite Holland negotiating skill in action again. So glad this is the guy we're paying 5M a year to to try to quickly fix this roster with moves.

They love to put themselves into stupid situations.

Oilers: Missing the playoffs is not an option

Also Oilers: Our starter is going to be a 39 year old.

Like how do you even .... sigh. I don't even have the words for this level of management, it's just mind blowing.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Thanks!

Interesting points 7 and 8 as well.

Regarding point 7, they must not know how irritating and unprofessional Matheson is. If anything, he’s lucky to have gotten away with this shit for as long. I think a player would have snapped at him almost anywhere, especially considering the context of losing streaks like this

Point 8 is interesting and reinforces what some have said about the bottom 6 being better and the top 6 being snakebit

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
The more I think about the goalie situation the more scared I get. This is how I see it:

Campbell: Extremely unlikely to sign. Even if he wants to leave, Colorado can offer him way more than we can.
MAF: Probably our most likely signing. Can you believe we could have two goalies with a combined age of over 75?
Kuemper: Could be quite expensive. Likely signs with Toronto if Colorado scoops up JC.
Varlamov: Won't like the cap hit or the cost to obtain. Likely stays in NYI.
Bernier: Would he even be available?
Mrazek: He hasn't played much in the last two years. Big question mark.
Price: That contract and health concerns. I would avoid Price.
Husso/Swayman/Forsberg: Young goalies with potential. No sure thing here.
Everyone else.... Similar or worse than Koskinen.

Not to mention our pro scouts are complete garbage. I have zero faith in goaltending next year. The only positive is that Koskinen will be gone.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The more I think about the goalie situation the more scared I get. This is how I see it:

Campbell: Extremely unlikely to sign. Even if he wants to leave, Colorado can offer him way more than we can.
MAF: Probably our most likely signing. Can you believe we could have two goalies with a combined age of over 75?
Kuemper: Could be quite expensive. Likely signs with Toronto if Colorado scoops up JC.
Varlamov: Won't like the cap hit or the cost to obtain. Likely stays in NYI.
Bernier: Would he even be available?
Mrazek: He hasn't played much in the last two years. Big question mark.
Price: That contract and health concerns. I would avoid Price.
Husso/Swayman/Forsberg: Young goalies with potential. No sure thing here.
Everyone else.... Similar or worse than Koskinen.

Not to mention our pro scouts are complete garbage. I have zero faith in goaltending next year. The only positive is that Koskinen will be gone.

This is why you don't wait and compromise your franchise by cornering them into this position.

Even Lowe was an idiot for what he did in 05-06, he had to pay a 1st for Roloson, and while it turned out to be worth it, who knows if a couple of regular season games don't go your way you maybe don't even make the playoffs. Such a dangerous way to gamble an important season.

Going cheap on goaltending is playing with fire to the extreme, Holland is just stupid because he got away with it a lot in Detroit due to having Nik Lidstrom.

Cap hit for Varlamov is fine though ... nothing wrong with 5 mill cap hit for one more year.

Last edited:

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
This is why you don't wait and compromise your franchise by cornering them into this position.

Even Lowe was an idiot for what he did in 05-06, he had to pay a 1st for Roloson, and while it turned out to be worth it, who knows if a couple of regular season games don't go your way you maybe don't even make the playoffs. Such a dangerous way to gamble an important season.

Going cheap on goaltending is playing with fire to the extreme, Holland is just stupid because he got away with it a lot in Detroit due to having Nik Lidstrom.

Cap hit for Varlamov is fine though ... nothing wrong with 5 mill cap hit for one more year.

There was a lot that would have gone into making that Roloson trade. Lowe already knew Pronger was wanting out. He figured the only way Pronger might stay is a playoff run and that was not going to happen without acquiring a goalie. Roloson could have ended up not being worth a first but, if he wasn't, that impending Pronger trade was going to bring back draft picks/prospects/young NHLers. That offsets the loss of the draft pick.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
There was a lot that would have gone into making that Roloson trade. Lowe already knew Pronger was wanting out. He figured the only way Pronger might stay is a playoff run and that was not going to happen without acquiring a goalie. Roloson could have ended up not being worth a first but, if he wasn't, that impending Pronger trade was going to bring back draft picks/prospects/young NHLers. That offsets the loss of the draft pick.

That and it's only fair to look at his full body of work. Acquiring Spacek and Samsanov were absolutely critical to the playoff run. Very few GMs make deadline acquisitions that paid off as well as Lowe in 05-06.

Reactions: Edmoiler13

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That and it's only fair to look at his full body of work. Acquiring Spacek and Samsanov were absolutely critical to the playoff run. Very few GMs make deadline acquisitions that paid off as well as Lowe in 05-06.

When he got Tarnstrom and Spacek on the same day it immediately gave the team a major upgrade. Not having to play Cross and Ulinov anymore was massive. Would be like instantly not having to dress Koekkoek and Barrie anymore today.

OneSniffTwoSniff

Jan 18, 2022
Get rid of Koskinen, trade for JT Miller, Lawson Crouse and some defenseman

Puljujarvi and 1st for Miller
Broberg for Crouse
Yayamoto for Chiarot

Last edited:

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Team has announced they are desperate and must make the playoffs…. Team has thrown its own goalies under the bus publicly…. Team stars are visibly distraught and combative with media…. Wow, Holland will really be negotiating any trade now from about the weakest possible position. Get ready to bend over…. Knowing that any fix will likely also damage the prospect pool and cap flexibility going forward.. great idea going into this year with this goalies tandem… unreal incompetence…

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I think we end up top 3 in the Pacific but we need to win those games in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig