Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Is the Answer in Goal in the Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There might be a way to get some cap next year. Keith may want to continue playing. But next year he only makes $1.5m. Arizona will be hard pressed to make the cap. Have Keith waive his NMC to go to Arizona for a buyout. They get $4.3M in cap space for the price of $500K next year. Keith would be free to resign anywhere he wants. He can even come back to the Oilers at much reduced number. Keith resigns for $1.5M for two years. He makes an extra $500K next year and get $2M the next year after that but the Oilers shed $4M on the cap. (Possibly more depending on how this impacts recapture).

To make this even better send them Keith and Kassian.

To Arizona: Keith, Kassian 2023 3rd
To Edmonton: 2022 5th

Kassian has only a $2.3M owing in his last year so they get a guy who can play up and down the roster, add some physicality for an average of $2.8M while carrying a cap of $3.2M.

In this scenario the Oilers retain Keith and shed $7.2M in cap space by moving on from Kassian. The move is also allowed under the CBA.

If Kelfbom is done and his contract is insured you can even make it sweeter for them by including Klefbom. In that case, they would get $11.8M in cap next year for the price of about $4.9M in real dollars.
But why is Arizona doing that? That doesn't really seem like a mutually beneficial trade. It seems like Arizona is spending millions of dollars to help out another team's cap situation only to be compensated with a late round draft pick.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Holland could have also gone for some other goalies, Like Frederick Andersen or Nedeljkovic etc, but chose to stick with Mike Smith

I wasnt a fan of the Markstrom signing and still wouldnt be given the massive price tag. That could have ended up like Boborvsky. And honestly, given goalies are voodoo- Calgary isnt out of the woods yet.

But Holland could have put flyers out on 2 goalies and gone with who works out, but got lazy

That Markstrom contract is not a "massive price tag". In fact, I think it's a steal considering how good he's been the majority of the last 4 seasons. Not even remotely close to the Bobrovsky contract.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That Markstrom contract is not a "massive price tag". In fact, I think it's a steal considering how good he's been the majority of the last 4 seasons. Not even remotely close to the Bobrovsky contract.
2.08 GAA, .928 sv%, 8 SO.

Now it's probably fair to say he wouldn't have those numbers if he was here but put Markstrom in Smith's spot and the Oilers are probably looking down at the Flames in the standings.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
2.08 GAA, .928 sv%, 8 SO.

Now it's probably fair to say he wouldn't have those numbers if he was here but put Markstrom in Smith's spot and the Oilers are probably looking down at the Flames in the standings.

Not really. He was elite in Vancouver too and I'd argue that Vancouver's defense is worse than Edmonton's.

6x6 is a good contract for a borderline top 5 goalie in the league which is what he's been outside of one down outlier season last year, very far from a massive overpay.

Edit: I misread, you weren't talking about the contract.
Yeah, the Oilers would likely be leading the division right now with Markstrom, or Keumper for that matter.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not really. He was elite in Vancouver too and I'd argue that Vancouver's defense is worse than Edmonton's.

6x6 is a good contract for a borderline top 5 goalie in the league which is what he's been outside of one down outlier season last year, very far from a massive overpay.

Edit: I misread, you weren't talking about the contract.
Yeah, the Oilers would likely be leading the division right now with Markstrom, or Keumper for that matter.
It's really just maddening how several teams around us have managed to upgrade their goaltending (of those that actually needed it) and here we are pining for Koskinen to start. Holland has already flushed three years of McDavid/Draisatl down the toilet and Smith is still signed for another year. Even Peter Chiarelli managed to stabilize the goaltending, at least for one year.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
But why is Arizona doing that? That doesn't really seem like a mutually beneficial trade. It seems like Arizona is spending millions of dollars to help out another team's cap situation only to be compensated with a late round draft pick.

Arizona is moving into a building that holds 5000 people. Their primary goal over the next few years above all else will be to spend as little as possible. They have $33.6M on the books for next year with no one needing big money needing to be signed. If they fill out their roster internally I could see them at about $50-55M which is way below the floor which will be about $62M. They can save a lot of real money with these deals. The alternative would be to significantly over pay in real dollars to get FA's to come. The thought of going to a team where you will be playing in a building smaller than some OHL arenas is probably not going to get them a lot of traction.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So all the Jacket's goalies are on the IR, maybe this is a chance to flip with Smith(or Koskinen) for Korpisalo.

I don't think Korpisalo is particularly the answer (I think I would still play Skinner), but he's different.

Of flip Koskinen+++ for Domi

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Listening to Rishaug this morning was an exercise in frustration.

"They just don't know if trading assets for a guy will truly be an upgrade!"

What other f***ing goalie in this league has an .890 sv%, sits on his f***ing goal line, and has an .750 sv% on the first 5 shots of the game? Who?

Half the goalies in the god damn AHL would be an upgrade on that. Holland needs to own that he f***ed this up and accept that he's going to have to spend more than he should have to to fix it. It isn't f***ing fair to the players in that room that are working their bags off and truly working to play the right way for it to all be ruined by some washed up loser that can't control himself ripping into teammates. Get this sack of shit gone.

If at minimum Skinner isn't up today then heads should roll.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Is just as shitty as what we have.
I cant help but chuckle when I see how many people think we're going to pull in some legit starting goalie. It isnt happening without moving pieces most people wont want to move.

It shouldnt even matter at this point. People hate Mikko and Smith but continuously throw water on almost every other option that isn't currently on a contender or who doesnt have a NMC.

You absolutely try someome different for the remainder of this year and if it doesnt work youre no worse off than we currently are and you try again in the summer.

Beggars cant be choosers. The tunnel vision on Varlamov and MAF is humourous.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

What other f***ing goalie in this league has an .890 sv%, sits on his f***ing goal line, and has an .750 sv% on the first 5 shots of the game? Who?

Half the goalies in the god damn AHL would be an upgrade on that. Holland needs to own that he f***ed this up and accept that he's going to have to spend more than he should have to to fix it. It isn't f***ing fair to the players in that room that are working their bags off and truly working to play the right way for it to all be ruined by some washed up loser that can't control himself ripping into teammates. Get this sack of shit gone.

Gregor said on his show the plan "might have to be hoping Smith regains form" which is saying "Management is quitting on the season, sorry Lolz"

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton

Basically, They are not keen on trading what some teams might want because of the situation they put themselves in.

I wouldn't expect these guys to get a good goalie when the other GM compromises because we have to keep every prospect here and they might all turn out great after 97/29 are on the decline lol. And those magic bean draft picks we love.

If he does nothing this year and we sewer it, I would love at least one guy to ask out. They deserve the embarrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad