Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Is the Answer in Goal in the Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Now I know that this seems like a pretty stupid question, however when a coach has belief in a player it can make a big difference in that players confidence and ability to play without pressure. With Skinner getting the start tonight against SJ, does he come out and start to show that he has just needed someone that believes in him and shows that he is a legitimate NHL goalie? If he does, do we go with a 3 headed monster in goal?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Now I know that this seems like a pretty stupid question, however when a coach has belief in a player it can make a big difference in that players confidence and ability to play without pressure. With Skinner getting the start tonight against SJ, does he come out and start to show that he has just needed someone that believes in him and shows that he is a legitimate NHL goalie? If he does, do we go with a 3 headed monster in goal?
That's fine with me. Besides, I think we likely trade for a goalie. Skinner needs to get his starts in now. It will be slim pickings

And a three headed monster is okay. it was only infamous before with us because the goalies were sub par. It would have been a two headed monster without the third one lol

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No.

San Jose was the easier start of the back-to-back and Smith is the trusted starter to face the team they're chasing in the standings. When Koskinen is cleared to play, Skinner will probably go back to Bakersfield where he'll get the majority of the starts.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No.

San Jose was the easier start of the back-to-back and Smith is the trusted starter to face the team they're chasing in the standings. When Koskinen is cleared to play, Skinner will probably go back to Bakersfield where he'll get the majority of the starts.

I'm hoping that Skinner becomes to Woodcroft what Lander was to Nelson in terms of having someone that believes in you and then plays better than he has under anyone else at the NHL level.

Reactions: yakcity1064

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I wouldn't overthink it. He's been given about a much chance as a rookie goalie could ask for on a team that's trying to make a playoff run.

Rarely do goalies have great starts in the NHL; he's just getting used to the pace of the league.

I'm sure Woodcroft will be a positive influence for him, but I wouldn't doubt on him reaching his potential without him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No.

I agree that this is the plan

But what if Skinner catches fire? It becomes harder to send him down

Plus, sending Koskinen down might be the best way to set up for the deadline. (Only if Skinner does well mind you)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Tippett tried believing in him as well but he failed to deliver.

Another successful AHL mini stint + new coaching hopefully helps.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Skinner to Koskinen:
drink-milkshake.gif

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
@Took a pill in Sbisa i honestly don’t think there’s a pressing need at forward. The biggest areas of weakness for this team right now are goaltending and defense.

Will our team be as good as Colorado even if we fill our holes? Probably not. No team is really perfect, but improving our backend IMO does give us a legitimate shot for the cup, and in the playoffs, anything can happen.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
As much as I hate to say it.. I think that's a good pickup for Calgary. Toffoli is a Sutter type player and will fit in with their system very well. But even with him added... I don't view them as a top contender or anything.... so seeing them lose another 1st is all good in my books too

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
@Took a pill in Sbisa i honestly don’t think there’s a pressing need at forward. The biggest areas of weakness for this team right now are goaltending and defense.

Will our team be as good as Colorado even if we fill our holes? Probably not. No team is really perfect, but improving our backend IMO does give us a legitimate shot for the cup, and in the playoffs, anything can happen.

Totally agree. Depth forwards are the least of our worries and won't count for anything if the important holes aren't filled first.

Reactions: Darkwinter

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
As much as I hate to say it.. I think that's a good pickup for Calgary. Toffoli is a Sutter type player and will fit in with their system very well. But even with him added... I don't view them as a top contender or anything.... so seeing them lose another 1st is all good in my books too
Fully Agree!

There are tiers of playoff teams.

1: Colorado, Tampa Bay, Vegas, Florida, and Carolina
2: Pittsburgh, Toronto, Boston, and New York R
3: Minnesota, Washington, Nashville, St. Louis, and Calgary

I would put us in the third tier if we were in a playoff spot.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Since the League gave Vegas the thumbs up to circumvent the cap by like $8 --- what are the odds that Kenny buys big at the deadline and just LTIRs Kosko and Kassian or whoever?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Since the League gave Vegas the thumbs up to circumvent the cap by like $8 --- what are the odds that Kenny buys big at the deadline and just LTIRs Kosko and Kassian or whoever?

Depending on how Kassian heals up there is a very small possibility. If Skinner keeps up the strong play I can see Leako getting cap dumped to make cap room.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Depending on how Kassian heals up there is a very small possibility. If Skinner keeps up the strong play I can see Leako getting cap dumped to make cap room.

No offense, but:

Koskinen: 16 wins / 25 games started
Skinner 6 wins / 12 games started
Smith 3 wins / 9 games started

Without your "Leako" the Oilers might well be far behind a playoff spot. I understand many want a new goalie, but I can't believe the lack of respect for someone who's collected points in 18 out of the 25 games he's played this season. At least the team seems to be aware of this and appreciates him.

Reactions: Wretched Oil

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
No offense, but:

Without your "Leako" the Oilers might well be far behind a playoff spot. I understand many want a new goalie, but I can't believe the lack of respect for someone who's collected points in 18 out of the 25 games he's played this season. At least the team seems to be aware of this and appreciates him.
This doesn’t make him a good goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: frag2

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No offense, but:

Leako got most of his points when the Oilers were busy outscoring their collective mistakes including Leako’s with a white hot powerplay.

I’ve posted many times on his poor form but I’ll do it again - He plays his size and not the shot, drops into the RVH too early exposing the upper part of the net, drops to his knees making himself smaller on every single shot attempt, overplays wide pucks exposing the far side and causing him to scramble, can’t catch a puck to save his life causing uncontrolled rebounds, pucks leak through him, he is an uncontrolled rebound factory, he more often than not loses the location of the puck when he lets an uncontrolled rebound out, he is inconsistent, and last but not least can’t play more than about 2-3 games without breaking down.

That is why I don’t like Leako.

Last edited:
Reactions: frag2 and Oil53

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'd be very curious to see how Koskinen looks under Woodcroft.

Let's not kid ourselves, Smith has been garbage stat wise all year outside a couple. Skinner was also all over the map getting lit up by Ottawa and Seattle in 2 of the 3 games before last night.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
With Tippett gone, I wonder if we finally see them move on from Russell? I'm not sure he could even play a system where you don't give up the blue line.

He'd take one of Niemo or Lagesson's spot when he and Keith are healthy. Think a playoff team would pick him up for a 6th or something?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'd be very curious to see how Koskinen looks under Woodcroft.

Let's not kid ourselves, Smith has been garbage stat wise all year outside a couple. Skinner was also all over the map getting lit up by Ottawa and Seattle in 2 of the 3 games before last night.

Agreed.

With the taxi squad, it's really easy to carry three goalies without any real drawbacks. It's probably worth giving him a shot behind a team with a real coach before you try to move him.

Toss Shore and Turris on the taxi and run 13F/7D/3G.

edit: Oops. Nevermind. Didn't know taxis were done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad