Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Evander Kane and the Bettman Vendetta

Will Kane Sign With The Oilers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I keep reading about our great drafting.. let's use a visual. FTR.. I totally agree picking Connor McDavid at 1 was a great pick.. can we talk about round 2 to 7 though? Here is 2015 to 2017... At this point... we should be seeing full timers on cheap contracts in the NHL IMO from drafts that were 4 to 6 years ago.

View attachment 504464

No one left from 2015 is on this club.

The non first rounders left on our squad have combined for 2 points. 3 drafts and about 20 picks... 2 points total.

Benson is a healthy scratch some nights and not a full timer. Plays about 60% of the games and averages around 10 TOI.
Skinner is tracking beautiful and right on track to be a 1A 2 seasons from now in best case scenario... 1B next season.
Samo is also on track and his story is not done.

So, not including first rounders... the 2015 to 2017 draft has produced zero full time NHL players for our squad today.
It would be interesting to compare other teams. Also, I know that they aren't on the Oilers, but the Oilers draft 4 NHL players in 2015, only their 7th rounders didn't pan out which is, quite frankly, excellent.

Quite a few misses in 2016, though Berglund is still an AHL prospect. Desharnais is on an AHL contract, but in the system, ok for a 7th rounder.

2017 - the depth picks haven't done much at the NHL level, totally, the only prospect that isn't still in system is Maksimov, Kemp is showing very well for a 7th rounder.

I think you think they should just turn in to NHL players. Like "Draft, insert development, get NHL player" and that's not really how it goes.

They could do better, but they're hardly terrible.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
True. It’s funny that Gregor defended Schwartz last night by saying a coach can’t make a player better. The player is what he is. You’re not going to take a 4th line player and make him a 1st line player. This is true, but I believe a goalie coach isn’t the same as a defence or forward coach. A goalie coach is more of a skills coach. I texted into the show this argument but he didn’t reply.

Gregor always comes out with outlandish crap. We have seen numerous goalies change coaches and become better. Mike Smith last year. He has Woodley come on his damn show and talk about it all the time. Gregor also thinks Kassian is having a great year and that a coaching change would make no difference in Edmonton…so there’s that

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
So they're cap dumps? Weird, but ok. Either way, if Montreal is going punt Petry for cents on the dollar, the Oilers should absolutely be looking at a Barrie/Petry deal.
I believe Petry is moving to the USA.

His wife and kid live in Michigan. His heart and head are not in Montreal, and I doubt the border restrictions make things any easier. They also want out of the insane hockey markets.

His wife has had to deal with this f***ing garbage:

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
True. It’s funny that Gregor defended Schwartz last night by saying a coach can’t make a player better. The player is what he is. You’re not going to take a 4th line player and make him a 1st line player. This is true, but I believe a goalie coach isn’t the same as a defence or forward coach. A goalie coach is more of a skills coach. I texted into the show this argument but he didn’t reply.

A coach cant make a player better? Like what does he think is going on in sports with all these coaches running around....of course a coach can improve a player.

Would love to ask him why certain NHL franchises continually churn out quality netminders like the predators, canucks and capitals and other franchises like our dearly beloved Oilers and say the Flyers continually suck at it.

This franchise still thinks winning is some magical dust that gets sprinkled on a team at random. I can never understand why Katz wouldn't invest heavily in the scouting department, skill coaches and an analytics group. Our mentality as a hockey club is stuck in the 90's which makes complete sense when you look at who is running it.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I keep reading about our great drafting.. let's use a visual. FTR.. I totally agree picking Connor McDavid at 1 was a great pick.. can we talk about round 2 to 7 though? Here is 2015 to 2017... At this point... we should be seeing full timers on cheap contracts in the NHL IMO from drafts that were 4 to 6 years ago.

View attachment 504464

The non first rounders left on our squad have combined for 2 points. 3 drafts and about 20 picks... 2 points total.

Benson is a healthy scratch some nights and not a full timer. Plays about 60% of the games and averages around 10 TOI.
Skinner is tracking beautiful and right on track to be a 1A 2 seasons from now in best case scenario... 1B next season.

So, not including first rounders... the 2015 to 2017 draft has produced zero full time NHL players for our squad today.

It's a bit unfair to say "drafting sucks" when you exclude a player like Marino that was drafted by the team and is an NHL regular in Pittsburgh. Or Bear, having been traded for a useful player... same for Jones.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think you think they should just turn in to NHL players. Like "Draft, insert development, get NHL player" and that's not really how it goes
No idea how you got that from me using a draft from 6, 5 and 4 years ago? I even said 1 goalie and 2 D are on track given their positions of D and G which take longer.

Your comment would make sense if I posted the last 3 drafts and declared them all busts.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
A coach cant make a player better? Like what does he think is going on in sports with all these coaches running around....of course a coach can improve a player.

Would love to ask him why certain NHL franchises continually churn out quality netminders like the predators, canucks and capitals and other franchises like our dearly beloved Oilers and say the Flyers continually suck at it.

This franchise still thinks winning is some magical dust that gets sprinkled on a team at random. I can never understand why Katz wouldn't invest heavily in the scouting department, skill coaches and an analytics group. Our mentality as a hockey club is stuck in the 90's which makes complete sense when you look at who is running it.

Canuckles have had continuity of high end young goaltenders going back to Luongo. Schneider, Markstrom, Demko. All are either 1st or high 2nd round picks. They have had secure high quality goaltending with a sustainability model to nurture the next goaltenders through development. Spun off elite goaltending excess with Schneider for a top 10 draft pick. Washington too hasn't been afraid to draft goaltenders in the 1st round and have spun off surplus tenders for quality picks.

Flyers drafted Bob and then gave up on him. Poor organizations often diagnose their problems wrongly. Goaltending matters unless you don't have it. And when you pin your playoff hopes on a patched up old tandem then it can't be really too surprising when the team continues to sputter.

Reactions: onetweasy

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
It's a bit unfair to say "drafting sucks" when you exclude a player like Marino that was drafted by the team and is an NHL regular in Pittsburgh. Or Bear, having been traded for a useful player... same for Jones.

I remember a time when I trying to get excited about Khaira and Bear, those were tough times. The farms depth is actually something to be excited about now

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

View attachment 504464

Yet you omit Bouchard and McLeod

you are getting worse Than Steven that became a coyotes fan

Reactions: TB12

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Canuckles have had continuity of high end young goaltenders going back to Luongo. Schneider, Markstrom, Demko. All are either 1st or high 2nd round picks. They have had secure high quality goaltending with a sustainability model to nurture the next goaltenders through development. Spun off elite goaltending excess with Schneider for a top 10 draft pick. Washington too hasn't been afraid to draft goaltenders in the 1st round and have spun off surplus tenders for quality picks.

Flyers drafted Bob and then gave up on him. Poor organizations often diagnose their problems wrongly. Goaltending matters unless you don't have it. And when you pin your playoff hopes on a patched up old tandem then it can't be really too surprising when the team continues to sputter.

Yeah but Luongo and Markstrom were drafted by the Islanders and Panthers and aquired via trade. Heck the Canucks had Markstrom on waivers back in the fall of 2014.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah but Luongo and Markstrom were drafted by the Islanders and Panthers and aquired via trade. Heck the Canucks had Markstrom on waivers back in the fall of 2014.

Totally acknowledge that. Though Luongo and Markstrom were key acquisitions in big trades. Markstrom took some development time with Vancouver behind Miller and Lack. Nature of the business when a high value prospect goaltender can be exposed in waivers. Worked out for them with no one taking a chance on the waiver wire. Canucks regardless have managed to have a strong, sustaining pipeline of quality net minders. Turning Schneider into a top ten pick which has become their captain leveraged well this strength built into their organizational depth.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Looks like Smith will be back for the game against Vegas.

Edmonton-Oilers-Ken-Holland-and-Dave-Tippett-Press-Conference.jpg

Please save our jobs Smitty.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Lagesson has been decent.. don't understand this.

I guess it will be Russell-Barrie after the break.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Josh Manson would be a great fit

Barrie+ 1st if we can get him extended. Throw in a prospect as well to sweeten the pot.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Looks like Smith will be back for the game against Vegas.

Thry should have waived Benson and kept Sceviour as a 13/14 w Perlini. Benson brings absolutely nothing tangible to the table. Then we’d have experienced scoring and checking depth players.

I think Lagesson will be back after the ASG.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad