Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Are we looking at adding a winger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
they'll help young guys like Bear and Jones immensely down in the AHL...not a "Wasted contract" at all

Jagr? he's old and slow...very risky contract that he can even contribute with the Flames..especially given no training camp time and the travel on the Western Conference is much worst than the East on a 45 year old's body
Jagr is still Jagr, he's very smart and skilled he can work around a speed deficiency about as well as anyone can, he's also a gym rat and has played well with so many players over the years I wouldn't worry about him taking long to integrate himself. If we signed him I'd be fairly confident he would make a positive contribution during the regular season, but I think you are probably right that the travel would wear on him and I think down the last quarter of the season and playoffs he might be a relative non-factor. I think Jagr would be a good example of a player that is likely to help you make the playoffs, but won't be a difference maker once you get there.

Chia and McLellan have a clear goal of building this team into being a cup contender and isn't hard to see why Jagr wouldn't fit into those kind of plans and instead investing into youth that is already a part of the team, but if you are more of a bubble team like Calgary and just want to make the playoffs and don't care much about getting bounced in the 1st round it isn't hard to see why Jagr is a decent choice.

I haven't read all of todays new posts, but it is funny to see the spike in activity old man Jagr being signed by your rival can create.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
There are still some good options out there if Chiarelli wanted to make a move...

RW:

Josh Anderson... would fit into this team like a glove and he's big and has good offensive potential. It's looking obvious that there is now some bad blood between him and the team... so a change of scenery is probably warranted.

Brian Gionta... smallish but a very experienced vet and I have no doubt he'd be a very solid addition to the bottom 6 on the RW side. The perfect type of player who could play up and down the lineup and in multiple situations. Captain in Buffalo so you know he'd be a solid character addition as well.

PA Parenteau... some flaws in his game obviously which is why he's bounced to so many teams in recent years. Has some decent offense yet though and for a depth vet addition in the bottom 6... he'd be an adequate (and cheap) addition.

Daniel Winnik... (still on a PTO with the Wild but still unsigned)... an elite defensive forward who'd be an excellent bottom 6 depth addition. Can play the wing and C and although he's a left shot... I'm sure he could easily fit into a 4th line role at any position.

D:

Cody Franson... if he's not signed by Chicago, he would be a very good bottom pairing addition who could see spot duty in the top 4 as well. Has some offense and his defense is underrated as well. Definitely would add to the depth on the right side.

Another option: Trade with Vegas. Something has to give as they have too many dmen. My targets would be Miller obviously as he's a RHD but they have almost no right hand shots on D so I doubt they'd get rid of Miller. Another good young D is McNabb who is underrated and would make a solid depth addition for the Oilers even if he is a LHD.

Ideal situation would be Chiarelli trading pick/asset to get Josh Anderson on RW and then another trade to get Colin Miller on RHD. Both those players are coming into their prime years with most of the development years behind them.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Matt Read on Waiver.

If he clears, would a RH RW Read for Fayne trade make some sense. Philly could use a RHD as they only really have Gudas and Read would help us more than Fayne does (yeah low bar). Salary matches and both UFA next summer. Philly would not do it until he clears and they know they can't get rid of him for free, but might be a way to ditch Fayne.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Matt Read on Waiver.

If he clears, would a RH RW Read for Fayne trade make some sense. Philly could use a RHD as they only really have Gudas and Read would help us more than Fayne does (yeah low bar). Salary matches and both UFA next summer. Philly would not do it until he clears and they know they can't get rid of him for free, but might be a way to ditch Fayne.

I mean... sure?

But honestly the extra ~1M in cap space each team gains from having them in the minors might be worth more than the swap and very marginal (if any) upgrade each player would bring to the respective new team's NHL roster. I think the Flyers are doing the same thing with their D as we are with our RW. Letting the young guys run with it and hoping someone rises to the challenge.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Ottawa adding a forward, GM Dorion saying there's a 49% chance they add a FW.

Any chance we're his forward group target? Who could we send, or get back? Room to take a Garrison from LVGK?

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I'd love to add Josh Anderson, but I doubt they just let him walk, contract issues or not... Would a 1st + mid prospect do? The guy is young and would be an outstanding addition.

Otherwise, I wanted to see Franson added all year, only to see CHI step up and get him on the PTO. Now CHI needs to sign him today (I think?) or else he's free and would be at the right price. Personally I think Franson is better than Gryba and would be a great addition to the bottom of the D Corps...

I don't really think this team needed to do much. NO team has perfect depth on 4 lines and 3 D pairs. On paper, you'd look at PIT last year and say WTF - they just grew together and made it work. I think with a few elite players, solid D men and a solid goalie you'll be in the mix. Its up to this group to mature a bit and get that bit better.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Or I guess you can take a Josh Anderson off the table as he apparently signed a 3yr deal just now..... Dare to dream! If only for a moment.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I just don't get what people expected going into the summer. We are a team that has a lot of young players on it that are growing. We never really had that much room going into the summer in the first place. For the most part there was a chance Eberle and/or RNH were moved. One was.

And for what it's worth the Oilers signed their Jagr in Jokinen. They grabbed a guy that can play all 3 forward spots on any line.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Or I guess you can take a Josh Anderson off the table as he apparently signed a 3yr deal just now..... Dare to dream! If only for a moment.
Odd deal to be honest. Unless it's a sign and trade, but 1.85mil a year. There isn't exactly a lot of room to be off that much is there?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Dreger reporting Lupul has been deemed healthy. I think that's our ticket to a winger.

Lupul is likely AHL-bound, but we can probably get a decent add helping them with their cap. Josh Leivo comes to mind, or dare to dream, Connor Brown.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Should be some "semi"-interesting players on waivers today.

Vegas has to either make some last minute deals or some dmen go on waivers.

Also we will find out if players like Chris Kelly, Daniel Winnik and Cody Franson get signed to deals or not.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Should be some "semi"-interesting players on waivers today.

Vegas has to either make some last minute deals or some dmen go on waivers.

Also we will find out if players like Chris Kelly, Daniel Winnik and Cody Franson get signed to deals or not.
I thought McKenzie said Franson was likely to get a deal.

I also read something that Minny might move Stewart in order to open up a spot for Winnik.

You know it's going to be a lot of low key moves being done, but for a lot of these guys their stress level must be going through the roof.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Dreger reporting Lupul has been deemed healthy. I think that's our ticket to a winger.

Lupul is likely AHL-bound, but we can probably get a decent add helping them with their cap. Josh Leivo comes to mind, or dare to dream, Connor Brown.

Only reason Lupul would be traded is if they felt they needed the cap to make a run. With Lupul's cap in the AHL, the Leafs have room to fit him in, however, they will be strapped for cap to make any moves that would help them make it to the playoffs. So if they indeed trade him, it'd be because they are going for it this year (which in my mind would be stupid AF).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Only reason Lupul would be traded is if they felt they needed the cap to make a run. With Lupul's cap in the AHL, the Leafs have room to fit him in, however, they will be strapped for cap to make any moves that would help them make it to the playoffs. So if they indeed trade him, it'd be because they are going for it this year (which in my mind would be stupid AF).
I don't know that it would be that bad of an idea to have the cap space.

That division is a complete and utter crap shoot. I don't think it's a stretch that they could come out and win that division once playoffs come around. I wouldn't bank on it, but it wouldn't shock me either.

Having the space to add come deadline day would make sense.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I'd love to add Leivo but who do you move out to make room?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't know that it would be that bad of an idea to have the cap space.

That division is a complete and utter crap shoot. I don't think it's a stretch that they could come out and win that division once playoffs come around. I wouldn't bank on it, but it wouldn't shock me either.

Having the space to add come deadline day would make sense.
Capfriendly had them at $4.8m over the cap. They are in bad shape of he is in fact cleared to play.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We're assuming Yamamoto is only here for nine games. I'd happily make a move like...

Fayne, Simpson, Pakarinen for Lupul, Leivo.

But you still have to move somebody out even without Yamamoto here.

Maroon-McDavid-Strome
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Jokinen-RNH-Cagguila
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

Not to mention, Puljujarvi waiting in the wings if he deems himself worthy of a callup. Not enough room at the inn for Leivo unless you move out a top 12 forward and no, leave my Drake alone. Would you be willing to ship out Slepyshev or Khaira? I really like Leivo so I'd be willing to move out one of those guys to make room for him.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
But you still have to move somebody out even without Yamamoto here.

Maroon-McDavid-Strome
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Jokinen-RNH-Cagguila
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

Not to mention, Puljujarvi waiting in the wings if he deems himself worthy of a callup. Not enough room at the inn for Leivo unless you move out a top 12 forward and no, leave my Drake alone. Would you be willing to ship out Slepyshev or Khaira? I really like Leivo so I'd be willing to move out one of those guys to make room for him.
We're already carrying 13 forwards. Pakarinen is on the active roster. I also have no issues with sending Slepy down for conditioning considering he saw minimal icetime in the preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad