Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Part XXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Did you really find Cowen much better than Phillips last year? He was at the beginning but after the Rundblad trade I think Phillips was the better D.

I'd say they were even. Remember when Cowen stepped up and played in the top-pairing with Karlsson? Absolute beast, the game against San Jose showed us of the potential Cowen could eventually be. We were getting physically destroyed and he laid a couple of huge hits that seemed to literally restore order and we ended up winning 4-1. Phillips stepped up huge too and was even a weapon on a struggling PP.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I'd say they were even. Remember when Cowen stepped up and played in the top-pairing with Karlsson? Absolute beast, the game against San Jose showed us of the potential Cowen could eventually be. We were getting physically destroyed and he laid a couple of huge hits that seemed to literally restore order and we ended up winning 4-1. Phillips stepped up huge too and was even a weapon on a struggling PP.

Yep those games were pre-trade though. Cowen was great for a stretch, OK for the rest. We will miss him but only because we were counting on him to improve. I think Phillips and a combination of Boro, Wier and Benoit can be nearly as good as Cowen/Phillips last year. It's our #2 and #6 DMen that might be the issues. #4/5 isn't as much of a dropoff imo.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yep those games were pre-trade though. Cowen was great for a stretch, OK for the rest. We will miss him but only because we were counting on him to improve. I think Phillips and a combination of Boro, Wier and Benoit can be nearly as good as Cowen/Phillips last year. It's our #2 and #6 DMen that might be the issues. #4/5 isn't as much of a dropoff imo.

Agreed but the games were after the trade. Turris had 2 points that game, the rebound top-shelf and the pass to Karlsson for the quick one-timer.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2011020694

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yeah he certainly had his elite games, something that I don't expect from either Phillips or Wier, but he also had some pretty bad games where he couldnt find his groove.

Most definitely. Early on the season he was beyond horrible in some games. His footwork was completely off. He was being blown by faster forwards because of his pivoting troubles and he timed his checks well-off. I was a huge advocate against Cowen's game early on. Him and Phillips both struggling at the same time with Gonchar was unbelievably aggravating to watch. Suicide hockey.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't know if I'd have paid a 3rd for Mark Fistric.

Seems like a real steep price to pay for a 3rd pairing guy...

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't know if I'd have paid a 3rd for Mark Fistric.

Seems like a real steep price to pay for a 3rd pairing guy...

I'd rather keep the pick...we got a good scouting/drafting team that I would rather us keep our picks for the off-season.

Isn't this draft suppose to be deeper than the previous ones?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
If you drafted Fistric in the 3rd round, you'd call it a win.

Yeah, simply because hes an NHL player and most guys drafted in the 3rd round arent. But considering Fistric has been at best an OK #6 during his career, I'd rather just keep the 3rd and play our young guys. Boro, Wier, Gryba and Benoit all have the ability to be just as good as Fistric.

source

Jul 13, 2008
So, lets give them 8-10 games to fail before we ship off an asset for a dime-a-dozen DMan.

"You play to win the game."

If the coach doesn't think Wiercioch or whoever can't cut it, the leash should not be 8-10 games in a season like this.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Did you really find Cowen much better than Phillips last year? He was at the beginning but after the Rundblad trade I think Phillips was the better D.

i'd say they were more or less even, but the expectation would be that cowen continues to improve while phillips continues to slow down this year.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Mark Fistric for a 3rd is a fair deal at the going rate. However, Fistric is not worth spending a 3rd and a roster spot in Ottawa, especially if it costs Patrick Wiercioch a spot on the team. I also see Benoit to be a better fit than Fistric in MacLean's system, while Boro at 23 is ready for at least temporary graduation as a 6/7 guy while Lundin is out.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Yeah, simply because hes an NHL player and most guys drafted in the 3rd round arent. But considering Fistric has been at best an OK #6 during his career, I'd rather just keep the 3rd and play our young guys. Boro, Wier, Gryba and Benoit all have the ability to be just as good as Fistric.

I'd agree that I wouldn't go all out to get Fistric to play in Ottawa. Doesn't really match the system, and we've got guys ready to make the jump who could play a bottom pairing role. Just saying a 3rd isn't a horrible price to pay if you're Edmonton.

I think I probably just have a lower opinion of Fistric than most, I guess.

Considering some of the ridiculous over/underprojections on these boards at times though, I still think it's a conservative evaluation. :laugh:

He's an okay bottom pairing guy. Won't be a rock defensively but can add toughness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad