Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread V: "Trade 40 Goal Scorer NBD" (3/8: Getzlaf re-signs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Our two biggest needs, imo, are 3rd line center and a 6th defenseman who can ideally play PPQB with richards on the PP.

Who fulfills the defenseman role? Gonchar seems like a good idea. I would love visnovsky but I don't see any way the isles deal him to us.

3rd line center? Many options have been discussed, a lot of them aren't better offensive options than Boyle.

I'd love valterri flippula, but I don't think Detroit would trade him. Matt Cullen seems to be an option, but I don't really know how much of an upgrade offensively he'd be.

Market is thin on the two needs of this team.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Adding Iginla for the playoffs only is intriguing, but the price would be steep.

It would be a big cost for a rental. I think teams bidding for him might have next contract aspirations in mind.

To me, Gonchar sounds like a more likely rental. Maybe David Jones.

I think Nash could be an effective player on the left side. More so than Gaborik or Callahan.

It's true Nash can play left. However then he's no longer with Hagelin. Hags Stepan Nash is the best thing this team has going for it, so why mess with it unless it falls off a cliff?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Callahan has played the left side in his tenure with the Rangers. It has not gone well.
I remember it being a huge success. The Callahan-Avery-Shanahan line was boss.

Nash has played on the left side as well already.
This season?

He has continually said he is far more comfortable on the right side.
When?

He's said this in July: “I like both for different reasons. Left, I like coming out of my own end with my stick protecting me. And right, I like having my stick in the middle to shoot and protecting the puck. Over my career I’ve been bounced back and forth so many times it really doesn’t matter.â€

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
They like him there, and he is better there. Point is of the three right wingers, he suffers the least dropoff in play from a move to the left.

Cally is a meat and potatoes player. He naturally doesn't fit on the off wing as a board possession player and not a sniper. Gabby is a sniper suited for the off wing.

Nash scored on a backhand deke from the left the other day. Its not as easy, but we're not removing his threat to score from playing him over there. Ovechkin uses both wings to attack.

Punxrocknyc19*

Our two biggest needs, imo, are 3rd line center and a 6th defenseman who can ideally play PPQB with richards on the PP.

Who fulfills the defenseman role? Gonchar seems like a good idea. I would love visnovsky but I don't see any way the isles deal him to us.

3rd line center? Many options have been discussed, a lot of them aren't better offensive options than Boyle.

I'd love valterri flippula, but I don't think Detroit would trade him. Matt Cullen seems to be an option, but I don't really know how much of an upgrade offensively he'd be.

Market is thin on the two needs of this team.

how about Ryan Malone?? he can play center wing and on the pp.. i dont know what the Bolts would want for him if they decide to trade him, he does get hurt from time to time..

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
how about Ryan Malone?? he can play center wing and on the pp.. i dont know what the Bolts would want for him if they decide to trade him, he does get hurt from time to time..

I know it's not a tell all stat but Malone is a -46 for his career. Not a great stat for a guy who would be looked at to be a shut-down center.

He's also signed for another two seasons at 4.5M.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I know it's not a tell all stat but Malone is a -46 for his career. Not a great stat for a guy who would be looked at to be a shut-down center.

He's also signed for another two seasons at 4.5M.
Besides two seasons with awful Pittsburgh teams (-23, -22), he's a career +1. On one those teams the best +/- was +3 and the worst was -46. And he hasn't played center in ages has he?

And yeah, salary is a non-starter.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Malone isn't a center anymore. Hasn't played that spot in years. If he was cheaper, he's a nice guy to have around because he can score 20 goals consistently and ride shotgun on a line with your top offensive guys and protect them without looking out of place. The problem is his contract is too inflated and he can't stay healthy. Unless he was coming as part of a deal for Gaborik where we were getting some top assets back and he was a cap dump, I'd stay far away. Gaborik for Malone, Connolly and a 1st? Sure. Malone on his own? Hell no.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think he would be very attractive to a cap floor team. $9 million cap hit for the next two seasons. $5 million salary.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
would love to get Ott on this team.

that would be great! He's playing quite well for the Sabres and they just acquired him over the summer (or was it deadline?) so I doubt they will trade him unless we are overpaying (and they sent a Derek ROY for him (and Pardy (whatever))). Plus, he is that prototypical Sabres blue collar guy that city loves so much. doubt they move him.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Iginla is going to command a high price if put on the market. Too many teams in contention in a shortened season, too few sellers. Just look at returns on average UFAs to be in the past couple of seasons. A 1st + top prospect, more if there's a heavy bidding war and he's willing to go practically anywhere. Since NYR don't have that 1st rounder anymore, Kreider + McIlrath or Skej. The Rangers would be delusional to pay it, especially after making the Nash deal, but someone will offer Calgary a compareable deal.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Similar to Nash on the Right I thnik Gabby is much better on the RW himself. Tonight if he plays with Miller it would be interesting to see if they can get chemistry together as Miller is a Lefty too. Wanted to see Left center, Lefty RW together.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You say it like it is an easy move. For some players it is. For many it is not. It's not as easy as to just say, go out and play on the other side. It has already been proven this season that it would be difficult for players like Gaborik, Nash and Callahan. Why is Iginla different?

Listen, I don;t think it's that simple of a switch. But I do think they should consider Iginla given the type of game he plays. And when you are considering a player from a management perspective I think the rangers would be diligent in finding out beforehand if Iginla can play the LW. If not move on.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Funny... You see all these tweets from Adrian Dater and Helene Elliot etc about scouts in the area. Never hear what scouts are at MSG from the Rangers beat writers. I think I'm going to start peppering them to find out what teams come to NY to scout games.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Funny... You see all these tweets from Adrian Dater and Helene Elliot etc about scouts in the area. Never hear what scouts are at MSG from the Rangers beat writers. I think I'm going to start peppering them to find out what teams come to NY to scout games.

I actually asked Zipay this during the last game. Here's his response "Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay
Always: Chicago, Dallas, Columbus RT @surlysailor: @stevezipay any idea if any scouts are at the game?"

I remember reading Blackhawks were looking for a big center. Wonder if they're interested in Boyle at all.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I actually asked Zipay this during the last game. Here's his response "Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay
Always: Chicago, Dallas, Columbus RT @surlysailor: @stevezipay any idea if any scouts are at the game?"

I remember reading Blackhawks were looking for a big center. Wonder if they're interested in Boyle at all.
So are the kings and Boyle is at the top of their list.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
So are the kings and Boyle is at the top of their list.

Really? That would be pretty silly if we ended up trading him back to the Kings. I was thinking if Sather ended up bring back Zuks if he'd trade Boyle for a pick or prospect. We'd have 4 C's of Stepan, Richards, Miller & Halpern.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

Honestly, whose scouts are at what games is completely meaningless. Teams send scouts to other teams games all the time. That's what scouts do. There doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between what scouts are where and who's about to make a trade with who.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Really? That would be pretty silly if we ended up trading him back to the Kings. I was thinking if Sather ended up bring back Zuks if he'd trade Boyle for a pick or prospect. We'd have 4 C's of Stepan, Richards, Miller & Halpern.

The question is do the Rangers want to trade him, he can be very useful in the playoffs.
But yeah if he is traded a pick and/or prospect is probably what it would take.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think we can look at Slats deadline history and pretty much assume an Iginla is not coming here. Just not his style to squander top end assets on a rental. I think the most Sather has spent at the deadline was a 2nd for Antropov and if a similar type trade was available (preferably for a quality center) I could see him going that high again either with a pick or a better prospect. Don't see a guy out there though worth that price.,

One guy who may have enough left in the tank to be a cheap acquisition is Michal Handzus.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
I think we can look at Slats deadline history and pretty much assume an Iginla is not coming here. Just not his style to squander top end assets on a rental. I think the most Sather has spent at the deadline was a 2nd for Antropov and if a similar type trade was available (preferably for a quality center) I could see him going that high again either with a pick or a better prospect. Don't see a guy out there though worth that price.,

One guy who may have enough left in the tank to be a cheap acquisition is Michal Handzus.

Antropov was a 2nd liner when we got him. I'd be intrigued by Handzus for sure, but I don't think the Rangers necessarily need a center. You could go with Richards, Stepan, Miller and Halpern (although that might end up an issue, more on that in a second) but I'd like a 2nd-3rd line player who can chip in 15-20 goals and play solidly along the boards, just to add more secondary scoring.

I'd also see if anyone is dumb enough to give up a 2nd or 3rd for Boyle because I've run out of patience for him. He looks like he's skating in quicksand, has absolutely no finish and he's not even as aggressive killing penalties. The only problem with trading Boyle (even in a separate deal) is the lack of depth we'd have if Stepan or Richards went down (although we look fine right now even without Richards). So for that reason a Handzus type would be fine.

Steve Ott would be great, but he'd cost a first rounder in all likelihood, which we do not have nor would I want to give up. I'm a big Iginla fan but it would be extremely costly after the Nash deal. Washington isn't going to trade Ribiero. In terms of centers, Weiss, the only big piece that would've been dealt, is now gone for the year. For wingers, maybe we should go after a Clowe, MacArthur, Penner type.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC

Thought he wasn't available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad