Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXVI: G Staying Put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Don't sign him and don't go the "own rental" path either.

The something you can get for him is worth getting, even if it's not a king's ransom. MZA will be back in a week or so and we just saw Miller play very well (and Fast is doing very well in HFD also).

Which should interest Yzerman greatly.

:naughty:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 1m
Had a quick exchange w/ Callahan's agent, Steve Bartlett, who doesn't appear as optimistic as Vigneault about a deal, but still lots of time

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 34s
Rangers and Callahan could still iron out an extension, but a trade is still very possible. Tough to gauge right now.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I mean, if elite players are eventually demanding $10-12M, Callahan at $6M isn't so bad. But I agree it's high. It's the price you pay with unrestricted free agents. They all get overpaid. Unfortunately you can't run a team by letting all your free agents leave and replacing them with younger, cheaper options. I really don't know what my stance is on Callahan at $6M. I'm torn.

Luckily that's not what we're doing since we JUST re-signed Girardi who, by the way, is a better and more valuable player, who is rarer league wide and much harder to replace, not to mention much more durable and reliable, to a more reasonable deal. Callahan's rumored offer is unreasonable and I want nothing to do with it.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Bottom line, we have Stralman and Staal (a little later) coming up. How do you justify blowing all that money on a 3rd liner?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Had a quick exchange w/ Callahan's agent, Steve Bartlett, who doesn't appear as optimistic as Vigneault about a deal, but still lots of time

Rangers and Callahan could still iron out an extension, but a trade is still very possible. Tough to gauge right now.

-Pagnotta

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 1m

Well that goes without saying. What else would you expect an agent to say during contract negotiations. "We're very happy with Glen's latest offer even though it's below what we've been asking for.."

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Bottom line, we have Stralman and Staal (a little later) coming up. How do you justify blowing all that money on a 3rd liner?

Callahan is more a second liner, but you still can't. "Market value" is a misnomer. It really means "One team, given their circumstances, is willing to pay X." The Sabres or Oilers, who have tons of young cheap guys on their team, can justify dropping $6m on Callahan's intangibles. The Rangers have other needs.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The own rental route could be just as bad. Then they have until July to iron out a bad deal. Ugh.

If Callahan wants nothing to do with 5 for 5 or very close to that, move him ASAP

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Luckily that's not what we're doing since we JUST re-signed Girardi who, by the way, is a better and more valuable player, who is rarer league wide and much harder to replace, not to mention much more durable and reliable, to a more reasonable deal. Callahan's rumored offer is unreasonable and I want nothing to do with it.

I agree, that's not what we're doing. I was just saying if you're signing Callahan, 6x6 is not unreasonable. It's just not a great contract for what he brings. Your opinion is fair otherwise, not wanting to deal with the contract. I'm admittedly biased because I am in the camp that he is important to the team. I guess it depends on what the return is. If you're looking at:

Callahan at $6M.

or

Young, cost controlled B+ prospect, 1st rounder, and X player at $5.2M (the difference between the young player and $6M)

I think you take the latter.

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
You can't. "Market value" is a misnomer. It really means "One team, given their circumstances, is willing to pay X." The Sabres or Oilers, who have tons of young cheap guys on their team, can justify dropping $6m on Callahan's intangibles. The Rangers have other needs.

Except that none of the Rangers needs are likely to be addressed VIA free agency (1st line center being chief among them). Thus, overpaying Callahan a little bit isn't likely to have any significant effect on this team improving itself going forward.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Callahan is more a second liner, but you still can't. "Market value" is a misnomer. It really means "One team, given their circumstances, is willing to pay X." The Sabres or Oilers, who have tons of young cheap guys on their team, can justify dropping $6m on Callahan's intangibles. The Rangers have other needs.

He's playing like a 3rd liner this year, who knows if he'll ever regain his form?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
When you can justify calling Callahan a 3rd liner, get back to me.

Looking at the future it's logical to be of the opinion that he is in the middle of becoming one. Over the next 2 seasons we're going to probably be seeing the following: Scoring dropoff, ES minute dropoff, PP dropoff, injuries all while guys like Miller and Fast may be moving up the depth chart over the next season or two, MZA is solidifying himself and Nash is here. It's not enough to look at what he is right NOW it has to be considered what happens over the next season and a half

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Except that none of the Rangers needs are likely to be addressed VIA free agency (1st line center being chief among them). Thus, overpaying Callahan a little bit isn't likely to have any significant effect on this team improving itself going forward.

If you trade Callahan for picks or prospects, you might be able to fill that need down the road without overpaying. I certainly don't advocate going into the open market to get our #1 C. That would have as poor results as giving Callahan $6m.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Has he also spoiled cosine fans? :)p

He's not a 3rd liner. But he IS the 3rd most important RW on this team - and terribly injury prone. 7-10% of your cap devoted to that player is a terrible idea.

If he were on the open market, NO ONE would want us to sign him.

If he's the 3rd most important then why does he average more ATOI than any winger on the team?

I'm not advocating a high dollar long term deal by any means, but let's not reach into the grab bag and call him a "3rd liner" on this team. He's not.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Let's not ignore the fact that cap space is an issue when it comes to making trades as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad