Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXVI: G Staying Put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Open market value doesn't necessarily justify signing a player to that pricetag. A team like the Sabres that doesn't expect to spend to the cap ceiling for the next few years can justify spending $6m a year on a guy like Callahan, because of the culture he'll help set for a rebuilding franchise. A team like the Oilers that gets most of their offense from guys on cheap ELCs and RFA contracts can justify spending $6m on guy who doesn't bring a ton of offense but can provide much needed leadership. A team like Rangers that doesn't get a ton of offense from guys on their ELCs and RFA contracts and already has a solid leadership group in the locker room just can't afford to lock up $6m on what Callahan provides. It's bad asset allocation.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Well, the cap is going up.

If it goes up to $80M in a few years, a $6M deal is not going to kill us. That's like 1/14 of the Cap, and we only have a 23 man roster.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I think Callahan really believes Sather will not trade him so he can keep asking for what he wants.. Cano did the same thing to the Yankees though.. whoops.. kinda hoping the same thing happens now.. I'm just really pissed at this whole thing right now.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

If it goes up to $80M in a few years, a $6M deal is not going to kill us. That's like 1/14 of the Cap, and we only have a 23 man roster.

Yeah, but it hurts us nabbing a player for similar money that might fit our needs better than Callahan.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

which is what I've been saying. as the cap goes up, so will the contracts for the elite players, as well as the good players, and even the bad players.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I'd rather lose Callahan for nothing we can't get a decent return than overpay for him.

Me too. I would rather he walk than sign this contract. We should be trading him without question and shouldn't have even made an offer this high, but I would honestly get absolutely zilch and watch him sign in Pittsburgh than give him 6x6 and watch a player who was a fan favorite and hero turn into a hated albatross on a terrible contract more and more with each passing season, which is 100% what is going to happen.

Edit: I'm 100% taking the rising cap into consideration. I simply do not ever want a 6M Callahan.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I will say this though if we giv callahan 6 x 6 no one will ever work harder to try to deserve that money moreso than him. But that doesn't mean much if he's on IR for 25+ games 3 years from now and is struggling to hit 20 G while MZA, Nash, Fast or someone else are burying him on the depth chart

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Yeah, but it hurts us nabbing a player for similar money that might fit our needs better than Callahan.

Well that's true. I have trouble being objective about this. I love Callahan. I've been slowly accepting the inevitable (a trade) for so long that signing him now would be a shock.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I never was upset at Callahan for wanting to test free agency, he should be paid and take care of his family. But if true, If the Rangers are offering 6 / 6 and Cally takes it, I'll be pissed at the Rangers and resent Callahan for it, even though it's not completely fair.

AHB*

I'd rather lose Callahan for nothing if we can't get a decent return than overpay for him.

Agreed...but I have a hard time believing he can't return anything with the haul that Miller and Ott just pulled. I don't know that either of those players as individuals is worth more then Callahan.

At worst I'd value him at a low first, which I'd gladly take.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Me too. I would rather he walk than sign this contract. We should be trading him without question and shouldn't have even made an offer this high, but I would honestly get absolutely zilch and watch him sign in Pittsburgh than give him 6x6 and watch a player who was a fan favorite and hero turn into a hated albatross on a terrible contract more and more with each passing season, which is 100% what is going to happen.

Edit: I'm 100% taking the rising cap into consideration. I simply do not ever want a 6M Callahan.

I mean, if elite players are eventually demanding $10-12M, Callahan at $6M isn't so bad. But I agree it's high. It's the price you pay with unrestricted free agents. They all get overpaid. Unfortunately you can't run a team by letting all your free agents leave and replacing them with younger, cheaper options. I really don't know what my stance is on Callahan at $6M. I'm torn.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If I could trade Callahan for 6M in cap space I'd do it so therefore I would not give him that deal. As I've said we can try to sign Callahan for 6-7M...or pay 1-2M extra and go for Vanek who is much better.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Don't sign him and don't go the "own rental" path either. MZA will be back in a week or so and we just saw Miller play very well (and Fast is doing very well in HFD also). The something you can get for him is worth getting, even if it's not a king's ransom. Given what Ott just fetched, at the very least you should be able to get a 1st plus a conditional.

hagsfan924

Sep 1, 2011
Just because Callahan hasn't been traded yet doesn't mean he won't. I know playing him is riskier than some other UFA guys on the block, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.
I think without a doubt Vanek gets moved by the deadline since the Isles have nothing to gain by holding on to him. Why haven't they traded him yet.? Because they still have time til the deadline just as the Rangers do with Callahan. Steve Ott and Ryan Miller being traded takes out two prime trade candidates on the market but also takes the Blues off the table as buyers.
Halak and Chris Stewart are likely still candidates to be moved. Girardi is now off the table.
So we have Vanek, Callahan, Kesler, St. Louis (but only to us), Stewart, Halak, Brodeur and Andy MacDonald as the main players left. I wouldn't be surprised if more than half those guys are dealt. Rangers could always put Boyle, Stralman, Johnny Moore, and Dom Moore on the block too.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It's a slippery slope. It would set a bad precedent. You'd be signing a 3rd liner to a ridiculous contract.

I don't think he's a third liner. He's a third liner like Malkin is a second line center in that he's a third liner here today because there are two guys who are playing very well ahead of him.

It's a ridiculous contract this year, but next year? The year after? I'm not sure.

Again, I'm not necessarily for it. I just read this 6 x 6 thing for the first time a short while ago so I'm still kinda processing it and thinking on it, but my first question is what will this look like in a year or two? The term is worrying no matter how you slice it IMO.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Agreed...but I have a hard time believing he can't return anything with the haul that Miller and Ott just pulled. I don't know that either of those players as individuals is worth more then Callahan.

At worst I'd value him at a low first, which I'd gladly take.

Miller is worth way more than Callahan, in my opinion. Ott - not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad