Speculation: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXIII: Getcha' pitchforks ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Or maybe we can look at the young pieces we have, say wow, this is a great core to build around and try to continue to build around it with younger guys.

Did we inquire about Seguin, how about F.Forsberg who was gotten for a complete steal in Erat.

All i hear from the Rangers is rumors about acquiring old and/or overpaid players. MSL, Nash, Richards, etc. Guys who are expensive and not young. Look at the good teams, they are all built around younger guys, outside of maybe San Jose (who have been living off the success of the shrewd trade for Thornton years ago).

We are incapable of doing that. What even happens five years down the road? Lundqvist, MSL, Nash, Girardi, Lundqvist, etc.

You can't think about just one year anymore, especially when you're a Rangers team that is not up there with Boston or Pittsburgh yet.

Honestly, even those teams seem to think longer term then the Rangers and they're extremely competative!

Or we can continue to revert back to the norm, signing or trading for the typical shiny new toy and do what we've been doing since Sather took over.

It's an approach that's been rinsed and repeated a million times with this Rangers management and yet, people still seem to miss out on the fact that it's never going to work.

I totally agree with you man. Thats part of my bias against Richards.(Ive realized to myself that I am bias, even when he's doing well) To me he represented the signaling that the rangers were moving away from the 2009-2012 rangers and ushering in what we have seen. Faster, smaller, less physical team.

St. Louis is a different situation entirely. We gave up major pieces for Nash. That was our Seguin trade and we gambled with Nash. Richards was our big ticket free agent.

St. Louis is an older player who has himself set on finishing his career playing in NY for awhile. If the rangers get him, their gonna get him at sweetheart value trade wise. He's gonna put up big numbers and add an element the team needs, and next offseason will probably begin signing 1 year deals until he's done ala Selanne, Chellios, etc...

You know how fortunate fans should be get a player of ilk to choose your team and play out his career like that. Are you kidding, whether its now or later, St. Louis you are warmly welcome here by me.

Vidic15*

Tampa fans already with the too ****ing bad angle, and people wonder why employees aren't loyal to their employers. Everything is a one way ****ing street.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Here is a question..

Would you guys rather move young assets that we have + a pick for St Louis. then turn around and trade Callahan to someone else and recoup those assets? rather than trying to find something around Callahan ++

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I would rather see Callahan traded for mid-first then see him traded for a 40 year old.

How about a top 5 pick? We can get the next Benoit Pouliot!

No draft pick, no matter how high, is a guarantee to be a top nhl player. Even less of a guarantee that said pick will develop to be anywhere near he player St. Louis is and most likely will be for at least this season and the next 3-4.

I'd give TB Cally, 2nd and lower level prospect like Hrivik for MSL.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I think alot of this has to do with ST Louis wanting to be closer to New York rather than the olympic snub.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I honestly wonder if buying out Lecavalier could have had an impact on this, and the Team Canada snub was the final draw.

Pretty much baseless speculation, but it's interesting to think about.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
It's insane the amount of Rangers' fans I see wanting them to pay Callahan instead of trading for St. Louis. These people have to be 12 years old right?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
That LA team, prior to the trade for Carter was insanely underperforming. There depth was double what the Rangers is. For starters, they had Kopitar and Richards down the middle, both of whom are better then any Rangers center.

It amazes me that people think we can win a Cup with our centers. Our #1 center not only not a legit #1C, but he can't even put up #2C numbers in the playoffs. His face-off ability makes it even worse. Brian Boyle is routinely one of our best playoff performers; that is frightening.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
That LA team, prior to the trade for Carter was insanely underperforming. There depth was double what the Rangers is. For starters, they had Kopitar and Richards down the middle, both of whom are better then any Rangers center.
I'm not sold on this team yet, but you could certainly call this team under performers. Especially at the start. New coach and system. I don't think the analogy of LA and nyr is that far off.

I don't think your season is a failure if you lose the cup in the finals. That's isn't the threshold. That's not your standard for making trades.

I'm not convinced that Stewart + isn't the best offer. The decision is what trade makes us better. Problem is Callahan is a rental to anyone making the playoffs. He'll sign with a bottom team for a ransom in the off season. Its mitigating our return. TB doesn't have make the trade. That's why this won't happen. Sather is stubborn and usually only makes this type of trade on his terms. Yzerman will want more but Sather is only offering straw hats.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
It's gonna happen. Now or summer.

Adding a hot tub before you've got a roof.

How so? The foundation of our team is obvious. Goaltending and defense. Adding a gamebreaker like St. Louis is exactly what we need. I realize St. Louis is old, but as has been said before, he is a fitness freak and still one of the best players in the league. His current contract, although it runs out next year, is also incredibly favorable.

If the cost is Callahan and picks, we'd be dumb to turn it down.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Yeah, kinda when Sather made that ridiculous trade for McDonagh four years ago. Guy was two years away from playing in the NHL, three years away from being a really good contributor, but Sather made the trade anyway. Flies in the face of your logic.

Sadly, the McDonagh trade is an aberration for Sather. Usually we're doing the opposite.

Thats what is amazing about the trade. McDonagh was an add-on (alittle strong, sather made the trade to get out from under the contract, not to obtain Mac). Sather made the trade to free cap-space to sign Gaborik.

Vidic15*

"Yzerman does not feel obliged by the deadline. This could drag into the summer"

Really, Stevie boy? If he's only willing to go to one team, what good will that do?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 22m
McKenzie "If your asking me whether this St.Louis - Canada thing is beating Yzerman up emotionally I'd say absolutely"

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Well, they are 10 years apart, but that's not the point. Callahan is 28 and has had several injury riddled seasons, while MSL has been the picture of health. MSL has a year left remaining on his contract after this one. Callahan wants seven years.

If you can't see the difference between that and what you claimed, I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah, I guess we have to leave it at that then. I don't quite get why when player is young when he is 38 and the other is old when he is 27...

38 is old, very old. Does he have anything left in the tank? Quite possible. But I don't know.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I sure hope Sather is keeping other options open and not becoming infatuated with St. Louis' demands.

The only corollary that bugs me out about it is Richards, I care about that much more than Tampa's sweetener. That's a contract that needs to be ripped up, I don't care if he's the new guy's best friend, we're better off with Stastny. Much better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad