Speculation: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXII: St Louis vs St Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Isn't it tampering to talk about how you're going to sign a player to a specific amount of money when they're still signed with another team, or was this an "unofficial leak the Sabres certainly said nothing of the sort!" kind of deal

Can't remember the exact quote or source but it was leaked out a month or more ago. No reason to think it wasn't legitimate either.

i wouldnt mind Marcus Foligno but doubt they move him... they dont have much id want....

You just named 5-6 players for absolutely no reason...

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Isn't it tampering to talk about how you're going to sign a player to a specific amount of money when they're still signed with another team, or was this an "unofficial leak the Sabres certainly said nothing of the sort!" kind of deal

Normally it is but if they were one of the teams given permission to speak to him then it wouldn't. Not sure if they were.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

The Rangers were linked to Richards way before they signed him. You would google Brad Richards and the Rangers were named next to his name as one of the search options.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
yep back to the Stewart, Jaskin, Rattie, Schmaltz talk as options

MSL is not getting dealt, that was crazy talk anyway. He won gold why would he go? He got what he wanted

So if little Susie Bigjugs turned you down for prom and then when her date got sick took you would you feel as good as if she had said yes the first time?

I find it pretty funny people talking in absolutes when the people involved haven't said anything. Either MSL will get traded in the next few days or Yzerman/MSL will come out and squash the rumor.

Let's get STL involved, they want to give up assets let them send them to TB.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I fail to see what winning gold has to do with anything either way...

It sounds like he was left off the cdn team again, was insulted and asked for a trade. Then he was added on the team and won so everybody is happy now

Also it makes no sense dealing Cally for stl . Now Cally to stl bluesajes sense. Jaskin got called up today btw

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
If the Blues think they're winning with those goalies,they are crazy. They need Miller more. Backes did play with Callahan in the Olympics. Callahan is going to be a free agent. He will go as a rental.

Punxrocknyc19*

It sounds like he was left off the cdn team again, was insulted and asked for a trade. Then he was added on the team and won so everybody is happy now

Also it makes no sense dealing Cally for stl . Now Cally to stl bluesajes sense. Jaskin got called up today btw

i hope this is a showcase for Jaskin to Rangers for Callahan and not to Sabres for Miller :help:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
That's why I said read the thread, not to be a jerk, just to illustrate that if you read what some people are posting, that actually is the expectation for a rental Callahan. Others want a prospect and pick, others just want a young roster player. It varies.

The point is people love Callahan and think his value as a rental is high. Some would be okay with MSL for at least 1.3 years, and others want to see them get some young assets and picks.

I think most of us agree that we would like to get a top tier prospect + for Callahan rather than a 38 year old MSL. (This post isn't directed at you Ail)

However, most don't want to realize that those offers may not be on the table. What if it is MSL vs a 2nd round pick and B/C level prospect? Who do you take then? The guy who can help you win now or a mid grade prospect and a pick that has a slim chance of ever becoming an NHL player?

Most don't even want to acknowledge that this could be the best possible deal on the table by a wide margin simply because by acknowledging it, it would not fit their narrative of Sather. Would I take Stewart + Schmaltz over St. Louis? Absolutely. We don't know if that is on the table therefore how any one can bash Sather for not making a trade that hasn't been and may never be an option is beyond me.

Lundqvist is 32 years old. How many elite years does he have left? 3-4? Do we really want to waste those going through a partial rebuild? Do we want to waste them by throwing away this season? St. Louis would give us another legitimate offensive threat for the next 2 years. Our window to win a cup is the next 3 years (Lundqvists best years left). Ill take MSL all day if that is the best available option.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I don't know to what extent it must be proven, but it screams tampering to me. Wasn't it Minny's owner who had like dinner with like an ex GM or something last spring, and then that GM went out and talked about how they would make an offer for Parise that would blow everyone else of the planet or something.

I mean, if you look at it from the effect it has, its tampering.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Jaskin got called up to fill in for that garbage Chris Stewart when he get's traded to us for Callahan. Worthless ****ing trade.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Rangers were linked to Richards way before they signed him. You would google Brad Richards and the Rangers were named next to his name as one of the search options.

That is one way to make it known that you are interested, make a trade offer and then leak it. Its easy to figure out that the same team possibly will be interested if the said player hit the market July 1st.

But to say that you are interested in signing an UFA before July 1st is de facto tampering.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
2/25/14: 8:15AM: Dreger believes that the St. Louis Blues are more focused on acquiring Ryan Callahan than Ryan Miller. (TSN 1050)

http://snyrangersblog.com/znhl-play...n-dreger-on-ryan-callahan-and-marty-st-louis/

Callahan to the Blues makes too much sense not to happen. They have the pieces. They have a very good team. He fits in perfectly there.

If the Blues think they're winning with those goalies,they are crazy. They need Miller more. Backes did play with Callahan in the Olympics. Callahan is going to be a free agent. He will go as a rental.

I don't think Miller gets as much as many people think. Who will trade for him? St Louis? Who else who is a legit contender would trade for him as a rental?

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Jaskin got called up to fill in for that garbage Chris Stewart when he get's traded to us for Callahan. Worthless ****ing trade.

I don't like Stewart much either but "worthless" is all a matter of perspective. We obviously don't know what kind of offers Sather has, and if MSL and others aren't available for Callahan, perhaps Stewart and a pick is the best offer.

The question then becomes would you prefer to keep Callahan as a "rental" and let him walk after this year, or trade him for Stewart who is signed through next year and most likely a pick coming back our way as well. I'd prefer the latter.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't like Stewart much either but "worthless" is all a matter of perspective. We obviously don't know what kind of offers Sather has, and if MSL and others aren't available for Callahan, perhaps Stewart and a pick is the best offer.

The question then becomes would you prefer to keep Callahan as a "rental" and let him walk after this year, or trade him for Stewart who is signed through next year and most likely a pick coming back our way as well. I'd prefer the latter.

Rentals are THE WORST asset management. It's a good way to shorten your window

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Callahan to the Blues makes too much sense not to happen. They have the pieces. They have a very good team. He fits in perfectly there.

I don't think Miller gets as much as many people think. Who will trade for him? St Louis? Who else who is a legit contender would trade for him as a rental?

He looked pretty darn good next to Backes.

Would obviously prefer MSL. Pull the trigger on that already.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

yes but there's a difference between expressing interest to some extent and throwing out exact numbers and saying "we'll give this guy this amount of money in free agency"

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
yes but there's a difference between expressing interest to some extent and throwing out exact numbers and saying "we'll give this guy this amount of money in free agency"

I believe it was leaked that the Sabres would like to add Callahan and they may actually have to spend quite a bit in order to get to the floor. Putting 2 and 2 together, it sure seemed like they were insinuating they wanted Callahan. The reverse Drury if you will.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
He looked pretty darn good next to Backes.

Would obviously prefer MSL. Pull the trigger on that already.

The Stewart deal would be better looking forward.

St. Louis is still an awesome player, but that's a short term move for sure. You can get more mileage out of Stewart and he could potentially be a piece moving forward.

Todd Harvey

Dec 29, 2013
Rentals are THE WORST asset management. It's a good way to shorten your window

Generally I might agree with this statement.

You start getting into $5-6+M players, what its going to take to resign them, etc., it all changes. The money and not the talent becomes the prime asset because you can always buy different, quality players.

Depends. Devil's always in the details, as with anything.

Boy, I log on today to find a perfectly muddled trade picture
(got a ton of emails with all kinds of **** apparently flying, none of which Id repeat here).

Just the way a certain GM likes it before he strikes.
I think we're in a 24-36 hr window here.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I believe it was leaked that the Sabres would like to add Callahan and they may actually have to spend quite a bit in order to get to the floor. Putting 2 and 2 together, it sure seemed like they were insinuating they wanted Callahan. The reverse Drury if you will.

I could see it. They'd never trade for him in a million years, makes no sense.

Speaks volumes about Callahan's priorities. Chase the payday to play on a team that will be horrendous for quite a while

Dont get me wrong, I'd probably do the same thing if I was in his position. But kind of goes against the narrative that hes Mr. New York Ranger

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Fair enough, the way people talk about it makes it sound like there were specific numbers talked about and all of that which starts getting into the whole bargaining through the media when he's still under contract with the Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad