Speculation: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXII: St Louis vs St Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The only curious part to this situation to me now is, if Boomer is confident enough to say that this has been in the works for a while - and he's hearing Callahan for St. Louis straight up - where are the rest of the beat guys on this one?

Anyway, getting St. Louis for Callahan straight up would be an absolute steal by Sather.

You guys want to stockpile draft picks and prospects? We'll flip St. Louis for that if we need to. He'd be a much more pure rental than Callahan, too. Despite that he'll be what, 41 when his contract expires? He'll garner interest even then as a rental, I'm sure.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I've warmed up to it. Even at his age, MSL is an elite player in the league. Plus, he torches us everytime we play the Lightning. If you can get an elite player like him for Ryan Callahan, you do it.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
The part that does not make sense is that Boomer must know that leaking this would essnetially kill the deal. If you are the GM of Pittsburgh, Anaheim, San Jose, LA and read that St Louis could be had for callahan wouldn't you call Yzerman with an offer that blows that out of the water.
Boomer is also regarded as an "insider" of sorts. I don't think he would want to ruin that rep and get bashed by Rangers fans for being full of it:

Only three scenarios I can come up with that make any sense are:
1 St Louis requested a deal and specifically asked for the Rangers. Out of respect for what St Louis has done for the Bolts Yzerman is complying?
2. The Ranger organization is looking to get rival GMS to up the ante for Callahan. One way to do that is to get people to think that Callahan is being dealt somewhere else. When it's all done and St Louis does not come here Boomer will talk about tthe elaborate ruse he helped pull off.
3. Boomer engaging in an exercise in the "Power of Social Media" How a few random tweets between fans can turn into a three ring circus where respected media (dreger, McKenzie, etc.) are werighing in on the subject.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
To get a scoring leader at $5.6M cap hit, a consistent 90 plus point player at that cap hit allows you to do a lot. There is nothing to dislike about the trade other than losing the player that is Ryan Callahan. But hey the dude's going to the highest bidder, and that just happens to be his home town team.

I cannot fathom how someone can poo-poo a 1 for 1 or prefer draft picks and middling prospects. Thank the good Lord there are people out there that actually want to win, rather than have some more things to talk about on HFBoards.

A 90 point player at $5.6 as opposed to something like an $8.5M cap hit means the roster won't need fillers, a quality player can be a part of the team.

A $3.5M third liner, or excellent depth players. Rangers get better.

Let it be true.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
I've warmed up to it. Even at his age, MSL is an elite player in the league. Plus, he torches us everytime we play the Lightning. If you can get an elite player like him for Ryan Callahan, you do it.

Its really a no brainer if its 1 for 1. NYR is gaining a year of MSL for a pending UFA. Who knows what the other offers for Cally are.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
The only curious part to this situation to me now is, if Boomer is confident enough to say that this has been in the works for a while - and he's hearing Callahan for St. Louis straight up - where are the rest of the beat guys on this one?

Anyway, getting St. Louis for Callahan straight up would be an absolute steal by Sather.

You guys want to stockpile draft picks and prospects? We'll flip St. Louis for that if we need to. He'd be a much more pure rental than Callahan, too. Despite that he'll be what, 41 when his contract expires? He'll garner interest even then as a rental, I'm sure.

I think I read that St Louis has a full NMC that kicks in shortly. I love your logic in that we could always move ST Louis in the summer, but I think that NMC would preclude us from doing that.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Someone posted yesterday that Boomer runs in the same circles as Richards. Could be why he might have the info and the beat writers don't. Frankly, the beat writer I'd expect to be on top of this story is Brooks.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
I don't get it. He's almost 40, we should've just got Jagr haha.
Why would Tampa trade MSL their leading goalscorer for a grinder that is Cally, especially with Stamkos out.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think I read that St Louis has a full NMC that kicks in shortly. I love your logic in that we could always move ST Louis in the summer, but I think that NMC would preclude us from doing that.

Do NMC's get wiped out when a player is traded?

capgeek said:
If a player waives a clause to accept a trade to a new team, it is rare he will do so without a promise that the acquiring team will continue to honour the clause. Brad Richards, when traded from Tampa Bay to Dallas in 2007-08, is an example of this. However, if the player is traded before a clause has kicked in, that clause is automatically ruled void.

Marty has his NMC already. Probably ruling my theory/logic void.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The only way this happens straight up is if Callahan agrees to a deal with Tampa Bay. Sounds to me like Tampa may have been the team that was granted permission to speak to Callahan's agent several weeks ago, as it would coincide with the alleged incident where MSL asked for a trade.

I admire Marty very much as a player. He's one of the best in the game, but he's pushing 40 and certainly can't play forever. This screams desperation from Sather. Instead of building for the long haul, he's trying to catch lightning in a bottle once again (no pun intended).

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
1 St Louis requested a deal and specifically asked for the Rangers. Out of respect for what St Louis has done for the Bolts Yzerman is complying?

This. It's hard for someone to miss his kids growing up. Yzerman named an injured player over him when MSL has been going all out every night.

MSL signed below market value to stay in TB, and be away from his family. I can understand why he would make a request specifically to NYR.

He gets to drive to practice from home, and play 45 min away from them. Those early years in a kid's life aren't something you can really ever get back.

Hockey players know what they sign up for with all the road games. But for MSL it was on another level.

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
I would love this trade. It would make my Callahan jersey irrelevant, but I don't care. This would be a nice deal for us.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It'll be another great player to finish his career in NY, but hopefully we get some good seasons out of him in the process.

As much as anything, I think Zuccarello can learn a lot from MSL. And there is no reason he can't play until 42 like Selanne.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
The only way this happens straight up is if Callahan agrees to a deal with Tampa Bay. Sounds to me like Tampa may have been the team that was granted permission to speak to Callahan's agent several weeks ago, as it would coincide with the alleged incident where MSL asked for a trade.

I admire Marty very much as a player. He's one of the best in the game, but he's pushing 40 and certainly can't play forever. This screams desperation from Sather. Instead of building for the long haul, he's trying to catch lightning in a bottle once again (no pun intended).

Agreed.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
As soon as they announce school closings in hell.

Or

When the Pink Floyd album cover "animals" happens for realsies

For real, I'm listening to it right now. Are you in my head?

What are the specifics of MSL's NTC? Is there a list of teams he won't go to, etc?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

If we are able to get a good 3-4 years out of MSL, this trade is far and away a huge win for us, and more than we are likely to ever get out of a late 1st and some B prospects, which is what we would probably get for Callahan.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
This. It's hard for someone to miss his kids growing up. Yzerman named an injured player over him when MSL has been going all out every night.

MSL signed below market value to stay in TB, and be away from his family. I can understand why he would make a request specifically to NYR.

He gets to drive to practice from home, and play 45 min away from them. Those early years in a kid's life aren't something you can really ever get back.

Hockey players know what they sign up for with all the road games. But for MSL it was on another level.

Even if this is the case Stevie Y isn't gonna call Sather, explain his dilemma and say "Thanks for ur help Glen" and hang up as soon as Sather says "I've got this pending UFA who wants the moon that I can give you... He kills penalties"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig