Speculation: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXII: St Louis vs St Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
That and because the return is not ideal.

Just read the thread for the past 30 pages.

Same here, been playing catch up here for the last 2 days.

but, how could he think that we wouldn't be happy with return? If it is indeed MSL?
Id be happy...............what did Boomer think wed expect in return for Cally? A #1, a high end prospect AND a bonafide NHLer? That would be unreasonable asking.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
If MSL is still an option, no way does Stevie Y trade MSL for Callahan unless there is a agreement on a new contract going forward. MSL for a rental ? Stevie Y can do alot better obtaining a high prospect and picks since he is all about building for the future.

tbonenc*

If MSL is still an option, no way does Stevie Y trade MSL for Callahan unless there is a agreement on a new contract going forward. MSL for a rental ? Stevie Y can do alot better obtaining a high prospect and picks since he is all about building for the future.

I don't know, could he?
I think you are discounting MSL's role in this deal. If he did ask for a trade, he likely asked to go to the Rangers. The Rangers offer is Cally. SY might look at it and think that he could move an unhappy, 38 year old winger for a solid 2RW that would improve their PK and team defense. If they resign him for an acceptable deal, great. If not, great, they free up space to sign their young kids and another UFA.
So, who is making a better offer?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Don't want to get involved with you and AHB's discussion but.....would Dubi, Prust, Feds and AA be players that AV would want on his team? we're probably much closer with this team than 11' team.

I think AA would do well and I think Dubs needed a change of coaches so i think he'd do well too. In honesty I don't have a problem with anyone saying that we'd be better off with Dubs and Artie I just have a problem with people saying that their loss positively gutted the team while ignoring the plethora of other things that truly did gut the team.
We lost Dubs and Artie in the Nash trade but we lost SIX guys due to injury, age and contract demands. Two of them were Richards and gabs that's just a LOT to overcome and it had nothing to do with the Nash trade whatsoever.

Anyway in terms of this MSL for Cally straight up deal I think it actually does work for both parties. We should NOT re-sign Cally for 7 years at over 6 AAV. It would simply be a bad contract. MSL imo is going to continue to produce for another few years. He's going to help control the game, add offense and excitement. It's going to make it a little bit more fun and exciting to watch the team. It's too good to be true though. I just don't believe the move is happening. TB OTOH is getting a guy they must feel is going to be worth the money. Good for them. Enjoy that contract and breaking down body though

Last edited:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Same here, been playing catch up here for the last 2 days.

but, how could he think that we wouldn't be happy with return? If it is indeed MSL?
Id be happy...............what did Boomer think wed expect in return for Cally? A #1, a high end prospect AND a bonafide NHLer? That would be unreasonable asking.

That's why I said read the thread, not to be a jerk, just to illustrate that if you read what some people are posting, that actually is the expectation for a rental Callahan. Others want a prospect and pick, others just want a young roster player. It varies.

The point is people love Callahan and think his value as a rental is high. Some would be okay with MSL for at least 1.3 years, and others want to see them get some young assets and picks.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I think AA would do well and I think Dubs needed a change of coaches so i think he'd do well too. In honesty I don't have a problem with anyone saying that we'd be better off with Dubs and Artie I just have a problem with people saying that their loss positively gutted the team while ignoring the plethora of other things that truly did gut the team.
We lost Dubs and Artie in the Nash trade but we lost SIX guys due to injury, age and contract demands. Two of them were Richards and gabs that's just a LOT to overcome and it had nothing to do with the Nash trade whatsoever.

Anyway in terms of this MSL for Cally straight up deal I think it actually does work for both parties. We should NOT re-sign Cally for 7 years at over 6 AAV. It would simply be a bad contract. MSL imo is going to continue to produce for another few years. He's going to help control the game, add offense and excitement. It's going to make it a little bit more fun and exciting to watch the team. It's too good to be true though. I just don't believe the move is happening. TB OTOH is getting a guy they must feel is going to be worth the money. Good for them. Enjoy that contract and breaking down body though

If that's the deal, the Rangers would be stupid not to pull the trigger, but (and this is just my opinion), I find it difficult to believe that Yzerman is going to let St. Louis walk for a couple of months of Callahan. So, if the Rangers have to add, how much do you add for a player who is 39 years old - even if he is Martin St. Louis? I dunno, I very well might be wrong, but I don't see this trade happening - not 1 for 1 anyway, and I'm not sure that the Rangers adding to Cally is worth it.

rangerfan_79

Jun 1, 2007
justanfyi.com
Maybe MSL for Callahan. Then Lightning flip Callahan in another trade.

Options might be too limited in dealing MSL but Callahan has no such restrictions. Just a thought.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Buffalo really buffaloed us when it leaked they'd give him the money he wanted but wouldn't give up any assets. Now everyone knows where he is going to wind up, hard to convince someone to take him in that situation.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Options might be too limited in dealing MSL but Callahan has no such restrictions. Just a thought.

That would actually be pretty clever of Steve Y. Take NYRs best rental UFA and flip it since he is "forced" to work with strictly NYR, assuming that rumor is true.

I can't see him wanting to keep Callahan if he can move him for a first, prospect or younger roster player. Especially a first with the way Tampa has been drafting.

Interesting thought.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
That's why I said read the thread, not to be a jerk, just to illustrate that if you read what some people are posting, that actually is the expectation for a rental Callahan. Others want a prospect and pick, others just want a young roster player. It varies.

The point is people love Callahan and think his value as a rental is high. Some would be okay with MSL for at least 1.3 years, and others want to see them get some young assets and picks.

I did read the thread, I know exactly what is going on here....bottom line is NO ONE HERE knows for sure, just the parties involved and maybe a select few......which includes Boomer.

Btw, 45 year Rangers fan here and have been around the block a few times. Your highlighted...... IMO "would be" quintessentially what every Rangers fan would want. I just don't believe that would ever happen, but Sather is trying to up the ante with other teams inquiries of Cally......ya' think? Or, is this deal set in stone?

Big Cally fan, but he's made his bed and Sather is just doing what he has to do. This is a dribble down reaction to keeping Richards and giving Hank TOP DOLLARS. Cally cannot get that, not here anyway.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

Spot on guy. Which means, Sather holds the cards with this trade. And if such trade happens, TB will benefit in trade with Buffalo. The huge matter here is who is willing to sign Cally. (apparently TB)

It works all the way around, because if we dealt directly with Buffalo, we wouldn't get a valued player such as Marty , and Buffalo could easily wait to get Cally off season, if that should arise.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Tampa has young players I might want over Msl anyway

Cally to Tampa might work but Cally for Msl might not be the best play

Connolly and kucherov come to mind.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Buffalo really buffaloed us when it leaked they'd give him the money he wanted but wouldn't give up any assets. Now everyone knows where he is going to wind up, hard to convince someone to take him in that situation.

Nothing less than grigorenko.

He's the target if we deal with buf.

Joel armia also interests me but to a lesser degree.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Punxrocknyc19*

Nothing less than grigorenko.

He's the target if we deal with buf.

Joel armia also interests me but to a lesser degree.

i also would not mind Rasmus Ristolainen , Johan Larsson Nikita Zadorov Justin Kea if a deal is made with Buffalo

Punxrocknyc19*

Cally for Backes and Oshie? :sarcasm:

i did something like that in NHL 14 for Oshie and Backes. but i also dealt another UFA Girardi to Canucks in a deal including Gaunce and Corrado... also traded to get Samuelsson and Domi from the Yotes... :sarcasm:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
MSL rumors could 100% make sense as a smoke screen to up the Cally rental offers.

I really hope that's what it is, personally.

I could see MSL coming to the Rangers if the rumors are true that he is disgruntled with Tampa and will only accept a trade to NYR. But I am pretty sure the deal will NOT go down as Boomer has reported it, because its ridiculous. St. Louis can bang Yzerman's wife and he still wouldn't make that deal.

I think you are onto something here, where a vague leak to Boomer was meant to accomplish two things:

1. Let it be known to Callahan that this is serious. They will trade him if he doesnt come off his current demands.
2. Up that visibility around the league and hopefully create a bidding war for Callahan

I think Boomer is less Bob Woodward and more of a pawn in a bigger game here.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Isn't it tampering to talk about how you're going to sign a player to a specific amount of money when they're still signed with another team, or was this an "unofficial leak the Sabres certainly said nothing of the sort!" kind of deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad